Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 11:44:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XPM, BTC, LTC  (Read 576 times)
c1010010 (OP)

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:49:45 PM

OK, so forgive this noob question, but I'm not at all knowledgable about XPM.

BTC and LTC are two different algorithms, require different hardware to mine effectively, etc. 

So, is XPM a third?  Or is is based on XPM?

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:50:43 PM

XPM again uses a different hashing algorithm.

Apart from the choice of hashing algorithm, the three coins are almost identical.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:56:43 PM

One difference of XPM against the others is that the total number of coins isn't fixed. The block reward is not adjusted based on the number of blocks, but based on current difficulty (higher difficulty means lower block reward).

Otherwise (blockchain mechanism, transaction signing etc.) they are all very similar (most alt coins are more or less modified clones of bitcoin anyway).

Onkel Paul

porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:02:35 PM

The algrithms you mean are the Work of Proof. In BTC you use a algorithm which is based only on the SHA-256. You just make a hash and look, if it fits a criteria. So you can heavily parallelize -> ASICs(because of that grafis cards were better than CPU). Litecoin use Scrypt as algorithm. I don't know much about it, but it requires memory, which is more difficulty to parallelize. Primecoin on the other hand uses a WOP, which requieres to look for chains of prime numbers with specific criterias. Only CPU so far. Primecoin has claim to give some use for crerating big prime numbers which is good for cryptography. Because miners want to make money they might develop more and more efficient ways to create this numbers.

On the other hand coins like PPC have POW and proof of stake. So some of the coins are created from people which have coins.This make a 51% attack more unlikely.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
c1010010 (OP)

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:06:35 PM

Perfect.  That is exactly what I wanted to know... and it is similar to what I had pieced together with various sources.

Thanks.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: