Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:42:27 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To buy now.... or to wait?  (Read 3269 times)
JonDough (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:48:09 PM

I have been interested in bitcoin for a few months, and bought a coin or two before, but ended up withdrawing it all back into cash. Went away for a little while and didn't even think of bitcoin for a little while and looked it up to see it was now $400... Watched it rise, and rise... And Now I find myself wanting to kick my own !!!!!!!!!!! for not buying more (and keeping them).

But since I'm in this for the long run, and not to make a quick profit, I'm not looking at the current ~$1,131 value of one coin as a bad thing, because I thought it would rise this high when I first looked into it...

So now I'm stuck here deciding... Either buy into btc now (I have ~$1,400 that I can invest safely)... or wait and hope for a price drop...

What are your opinions? And whats a good way to ensure I can get a good deal? i.e. say it drops $100 or so in a day for a few minutes...? How do I make sure I can get that price before it quickly jumps back up? I'm currently looking for a program or website that will make a noise or something if it drops to or below a certain point lol
But how can I have the money already deposited somewhere so that all I have to do is press the button to buy? I know localbitcoins, but is there anything else trusted?

Thanks to anyone who reads this and helps  Grin
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:52:31 PM

There are very few of us who can predict the market.  I sold 500 at $119.99 in June or so convinced that we would never see $150 again and now the price is literally 10 times what I sold at.

The one thing I have learnt is that the Bitcoin market is tiny and that as it grows, valuations must rise.  It might drop to less that $1000 after you buy at $1150 but who cares?  In a year it will be over $2000 if the price rises even match half the difficulty rises that we can already see in the pipeline.

(A)social

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 08:11:32 PM

First of all, make a trip to New Bern, NC...  Grin

BTC: 1ASociaLbBZzBUR8hSw8CryajncADsR1m6 - Bitmessage: BM-orfFdAgAmtnBokTivq3vj1RtSVtXbrftM
OpenBazaar Store: https://openbazaar.com/store/QmeCThm8d5zcat7BjGw4SQeovaC5diF9s4b2yTSHWdpzmb
JonDough (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:13:08 PM

I understand Smiley Seems like if I'm going to go in with BTC then go ahead and do it.

I'm still wondering about different ways to buy in though... Because I almost want to put some money towards btc, and then begin day trading with some alt coins. Some of them are turning large profits quickly Tongue If I'm lucky, I could make a good profit.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 12:10:30 AM

There are very few of us who can predict the market.  I sold 500 at $119.99 in June or so convinced that we would never see $150 again and now the price is literally 10 times what I sold at.

The one thing I have learnt is that the Bitcoin market is tiny and that as it grows, valuations must rise.  It might drop to less that $1000 after you buy at $1150 but who cares?  In a year it will be over $2000 if the price rises even match half the difficulty rises that we can already see in the pipeline.

or it drops to 300 USD...

forbun

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 12:32:59 AM

Place a limit order on an exchange like Kraken.com. There's no reason to just get an alert when the price drops; get your order in now, and it will automatically execute when the price reaches that level.

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
JonDough (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:42:46 AM

Place a limit order on an exchange like Kraken.com. There's no reason to just get an alert when the price drops; get your order in now, and it will automatically execute when the price reaches that level.

Thanks i'll look into that.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:50:31 AM

tbh yea you dont want to miss the train, i understand that, but i definitely wouldnt go all in at this price. maybe half if you are feeling frisky. this bubble will pop, they always do, and you will prob be able to buy in at somewhere between 500-800 if you are patient.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:13:12 AM

tbh yea you dont want to miss the train, i understand that, but i definitely wouldnt go all in at this price. maybe half if you are feeling frisky. this bubble will pop, they always do, and you will prob be able to buy in at somewhere between 500-800 if you are patient.
he's right board the train when the market crashes in coming weeks to levels below 600

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:38:13 AM

Just get aboard.
JonDough (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:55:00 AM

This is an option I've been considering... Only thing I've been afraid of it waiting and then it doesn't drop back down. I'd feel sick if I decide to buy in and the price has risen to $3,000 lol

I feel that the money I'm investing into btc is money that I am willing (ie. won't die if I loose it) to loose, so if it drops before coming back up, then that's fine... I'll just buy more if it drops Smiley

I might just buy in about 1btc next week. then try to invest at least $500 weekly if possible.

Thanks everyone

EDIT:
Also, I want to buy in to make money, but I'm not expecting to become a millionaire. If I could pay off all my debts in a few years I'd be happy. If I could buy a house (paid off full) then I'd be ecstatic lol. Becoming rich from this investment would be surreal... And I would enjoy every minute of it lol
pjviitas

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:32:20 AM

Speculation in bitcoin is probably a bad idea.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 07:32:01 AM

Limit order but be prepared to scramble to buy if price pops up instead

laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

If you ask such questions here, then you're probably not qualified to trade it or try to pick bottom of this market, so your best strategy is probably to buy and hold. Alt-coins are even more volatile, and many of them will go to zero.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 08:22:55 PM

what did i tell ya? did you manage to buy in sub 800?

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
JonDough (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:17:37 PM

Unfortunately I didn't... I ended up buying 1btc at a little over $1,000. Oh well lol. Hopefully I can buy another btc early next week Smiley excited lol
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:05:07 PM

I have been interested in bitcoin for a few months, and bought a coin or two before, but ended up withdrawing it all back into cash. Went away for a little while and didn't even think of bitcoin for a little while and looked it up to see it was now $400... Watched it rise, and rise... And Now I find myself wanting to kick my own !!!!!!!!!!! for not buying more (and keeping them).

But since I'm in this for the long run, and not to make a quick profit, I'm not looking at the current ~$1,131 value of one coin as a bad thing, because I thought it would rise this high when I first looked into it...

So now I'm stuck here deciding... Either buy into btc now (I have ~$1,400 that I can invest safely)... or wait and hope for a price drop...

What are your opinions? And whats a good way to ensure I can get a good deal? i.e. say it drops $100 or so in a day for a few minutes...? How do I make sure I can get that price before it quickly jumps back up? I'm currently looking for a program or website that will make a noise or something if it drops to or below a certain point lol
But how can I have the money already deposited somewhere so that all I have to do is press the button to buy? I know localbitcoins, but is there anything else trusted?

Thanks to anyone who reads this and helps  Grin

I dunno you can wait and see, there are alot of indicators that means prices are going lower but if it goes up don't regret it's just the way we all learn this way Wink

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:18:16 PM

Unfortunately I didn't... I ended up buying 1btc at a little over $1,000. Oh well lol. Hopefully I can buy another btc early next week Smiley excited lol

I dont blame you. I wouldn't have risked missing the train over a couple of hundred dollars either.

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:37:38 PM

Hopefully you were able to buy another one cheaper than your last over the past 2 crashes and lower your dollar-cost average.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
JonDough (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:46:00 PM

Hopefully you were able to buy another one cheaper than your last over the past 2 crashes and lower your dollar-cost average.
Unfortunately not... I ended up getting my extra money tied up after buying that 1btc... now I only have a few hundred I would be able to invest again anyway. Oh well, next week there will be more buying Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: