Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:34:35 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: YACOIN Experts - Question ...  (Read 473 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:14:34 PM

I downloaded Yacoin QT from the yacoin.org website.

It didn't install like every other QT program does.  It just has an EXE file which I guess you double click.

I did this, and the app came up.  But then it didn't do anything like the othe rprograms downloading a blockchain.

It just sat there.

So I googled yacoin qt doesn't install, and a thread was at the top with people discussing (back in May 2013) that it took their bitcions.

Some decided they were just trying to ruin yacoins reputation, so maybe its bunk.

Why doesn't Yacoin QT actually go through an install process?

Why after 5 minutes of running didn't it even try to download blockchain info?

Im worried to have this on my computer.  

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
nocoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:22:34 PM

Why doesn't Yacoin QT actually go through an install process?
Why would I worry aboun smth. like this?
Why after 5 minutes of running didn't it even try to download blockchain info?
Maybe because of dead network? Try to find some alive nodes and add them though "addnode" command in debug menu.
Also, can't understand why people running unknown *.exe files at the main system instead of using virtual machine.
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:55:22 PM

Also, can't understand why people running unknown *.exe files at the main system instead of using virtual machine.
Try to remember, not everyone in this scene has understanding of these things.

This may have been the case for the last 3 years, but a bunch of "lay persons" are joining this community now.

People who only know Windows and laptops and that's about it.  I have slightly more knowledge, but have no idea what a virtual machine is.

BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:59:55 PM

Can someone please tell me where to download the QT app?

Its so strange to me that there is no direct link on any of the official threads, to downloading the Yacoin QT app ....

I had to google and I ended up here:  http://www.yacoin.org/

Is this the correct site?

Once again strange because there is *no* mention of this site in *any* of the official threads (in the first post).

DrYak

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:35:36 PM

Try to remember, not everyone in this scene has understanding of these things.
{...} a bunch of "lay persons" are joining this community now.
People who only know Windows and laptops and that's about it.

Message to other users of this forum with the same level of knowledge:
Maybe we should start providing easy-to-use pre-packaged virtual machines?

VM software like Virtual Box are available: free and easy to install.
There are also standard for "Virtual Appliances" : pre-packaged virtual machine that ready to add to any compatible VM software (like Virtual Box, VMWare, etc.)

With correctly signed images, containing verifiable linux components, it should be made easy to help the "lay persons" isolate their not-so-trusted alt-coins QT wallets.

This is already done to deploy some Linux research software (available as a VMWare image for non-Linux users), or to deploy testing tools for developers targeting Linux-powered devices (Android, WebOS) but running on Windows, etc.

Altcoins could be added to the list, too. Only we must pay attention to make the images themselves trustable and verifiable.
(Like done with the deterministic build on the distributed executable).

I have slightly more knowledge, but have no idea what a virtual machine is.

For those who don't know: If you know what an emulator is, (like the thing used to simulate old machines like Amiga, Gameboy, etc. so you can play their games on a modern computer) that's a good starting point. Software like VirtualBox, VMWare, Parallels, etc. are softwares that simulates a whole computer. You can then install what you want inside this "imaginary computer".  This is routinely used by people using Mac OS X (or Linux) on their laptops: they install such a software which simulates a PC and they install Windows on this imaginary PC. That helps them then run windows-only software on the windows installation running inside this imaginary PC (= that's the virtual machine).
It could be used to have Linux running inside such a virtual machine and then installing the Wallet inside that linux. If anything bad happens, the malware is hacking a machine that doesn't actually exist, its only hacking a virtual machine running under the control of VirtualBox/VMWare/etc.
ilostcoins

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:38:48 PM

I'm not sure which version of qt client you have, but the best place to solve any problems related to YACoin is the following thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206577.0

That's the de facto official thread now and the active developers often post in there. I have a functional qt client in my PC, but I too have lost track of where to download the latest version.  Embarrassed

LTC: LSyqwk4YbhBRtkrUy8NRdKXFoUcgVpu8Qb   NVC: 4HtynfYVyRYo6yM8BTAqyNYwqiucfoPqFW   TAG id: 4313
CMC: CAHrzqveVm9UxGm7PZtT4uj6su4suxKzZv   YAC: Y9m5S7M24sdkjdwxnA9GZpPez6k6EqUjUt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: