Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 02:12:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Mining Viable Anymore?  (Read 1837 times)
xephireusMMX

Activity: 306
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:55:29 PM

Yes, because of the difficulty increase, it's almost impossible to reach ROI.

The only way you can do that is if you can get about $10/GHs.

Unless you get a good deal like that immediately, don't start mining btc.

No one is selling for such low prices  Smiley
But I agree, carefully reconsider the investment if you can reach ROI

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
miners78

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:56:04 PM

Bitcoin not so much because of how fast the hardware becomes unprofitable. It you know when to sell the hardware it can be good, but it's too much hassle for me anyways.
Itun

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:57:14 PM

Yes, because of the difficulty increase, it's almost impossible to reach ROI.

The only way you can do that is if you can get about $10/GHs.

Unless you get a good deal like that immediately, don't start mining btc.

No one is selling for such low prices  Smiley
But I agree, carefully reconsider the investment if you can reach ROI

Exactly, I wish people did...

I think if you are looking into mining, mine some alt-coins.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:01:21 AM

If you want into bitcoin, just buy the damn things. You just missed a solid opportunity, though.  Grin

If you want to mine, like really mine, go with altcoins. Many are profitable right now, so much so that you can't buy a 280x or higher GPU for $200+ over launch price. It's always possible to trade and add to the BTC stash with altcoins, a lot easier than buying with fiat.

And the hardware you buy will depreciate at a much much slower rate, especially if alts keep climbing relative to BTC. The supply chain has been hit hard lately, if these trends continue and the hardware supply stays the same scrypt difficulty can't possibly grow as fast as BTC. You'd be doing good to have GPU hardware around in that case.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
donkeykong9000

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:25:54 AM

If you want into bitcoin, just buy the damn things. You just missed a solid opportunity, though.  Grin

If you want to mine, like really mine, go with altcoins. Many are profitable right now, so much so that you can't buy a 280x or higher GPU for $200+ over launch price. It's always possible to trade and add to the BTC stash with altcoins, a lot easier than buying with fiat.

And the hardware you buy will depreciate at a much much slower rate, especially if alts keep climbing relative to BTC. The supply chain has been hit hard lately, if these trends continue and the hardware supply stays the same scrypt difficulty can't possibly grow as fast as BTC. You'd be doing good to have GPU hardware around in that case.

Agree  Smiley
Aeityo

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:04:09 AM

Bitcoin mining? You are too late Tongue
Altcoin mining? Probably still profitable Smiley
CryptoDuck

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:27:48 AM

You can be profitable in alt mining without a major investment that would be required with Bitcoin. Plus you won't have to wait months for your hardware. I've looked into a few alts. LTC, XPM, FTC, SBC, and NMC.

NMC seemed the least profitable of those. I like Namecoin because of the DNS purpose behind it but it's to easy for Bitcoin miners to co-mine it to allow me to get any significant amount of NMC collected.

LTC and FTC appear to be similarly profitable right now. Things change fast though.

Stablecoin is slightly less profitable currently but very young and you can collect more of them. I guess you can bet on it's adoption by the community.

I like XPM but Primecoin is a different beast as it is only CPU mined. There is also no good statistic that I can find to determine profitability. Chains per day may be the best but doesn't always correlate to actual blocks found. It has the benefit that you can use VPS to mine since you are only using CPU power. Here is a tutorial I wrote on that if you are interested:

http://cryptoduck.blogspot.com/2013/12/primecoin-tutorial.html

For me I'm new to this and entering it as a hobby. I now have a couple of video cards I'd be happy to keep in my systems and I'm experimenting with mining.
Megabit monster

Activity: 126

Will work for BitCoins

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:45:13 AM

Yeah I am a noob too and I got hosed on ebay.  Bought BFL 50 for 2500 and a 60 for 3k.  I was fooled by some of the calculators out there that don't include the diff. increase.  I am not a stupid person in general but I totally noobed out here. These things won't come near my investment and I'm about to just start solo mining with them and consider them a loss/bad investment. 

Cisco CCNP + CCIE Written. Open to various networking/VOIP related projects. 
Accept bitcoin for payments. Extensive successful project history.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:51:41 AM

Remember to take energy consumption in consideration. If you have to pay more on the electricity bill than you are earning mining, you would be better off just using that money to buy bitcoins directly.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Bitcoin-hotep

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:54:08 AM

Doge coin is still new enough to mine but popular enough to trust to gain value

hunkster

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 06:55:57 AM

Hmmmm is FTC = Feathercoin?

yahma

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:57:48 AM

Mining in general is a losing proposition.  While mining some of the lower difficulty alt-coins may net your more alt-coins, the exchange rate is so low that you won't earn really any more than you would if you mined for bitcoin.
eythank

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:16:19 AM

Unless you through gh/s bitcoin mining is not profitable.

However, with mh/s you can mine alt coin and later sell it for profit.
jimdrake (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:16:28 PM

Thanks for all the responses Smiley

I have been reading all about scrypt coin mining and decided to give it a go.

I built a little system based on various recommendations, with room to add more graphics cards.

I am using multipool.us at the moment and the estimated balance in BTC is a healthy profit over energy costs and hopefully I can pay for the hardware in 1-2 months.

But I guess there is more/less profit to be made if you are good or not at trading the scrypt coins for bitcoins and then for local currency at the right moments.

To give a rough estimate I spent about the cost of 1BTC on hardware last week and have been running just less than 24 hours and have a balance of just over 0.01BTC at multipool.us.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: