Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:33:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Consensus?  (Read 2305 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2016, 06:15:33 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2016, 06:25:38 AM by Lauda

Both https://www.reddit.com/r/btc & https://forum.bitcoin.com/ are owned by Roger Ver, one of the biggest bitcoin holder. Why such a big holder himself will hurt bitcoin in the first place? If u go by rationality, he would try to increase the value of bitcoin.
This guy makes a valid point.
No, he doesn't. He didn't provide evidence to support his claim (one of the biggest holders?). Roger Ver has also shown support for controversial HF's that would have caused a network split. Regardless, this isn't about Roger Ver (who isn't as good as you think), it is about the users that are using those 'communities'.

Consensus is what Blockstream says it is.
I'm not surprised by this nonsense anymore.

Those sites are full of paid Classic shills and average joes that have absolutely no say in a matter as complex as scaling Bitcoin. It's sad that those places have become a trollfest. /r/btc started as a way to talk about everything Bitcoin including the hard fork attempts, and it has ended up a total mess.
I concur. The nature of /r/btc is way too toxic for a new user.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Victor Beckham

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 09:57:55 AM

Both https://www.reddit.com/r/btc & https://forum.bitcoin.com/ are owned by Roger Ver, one of the biggest bitcoin holder. Why such a big holder himself will hurt bitcoin in the first place? If u go by rationality, he would try to increase the value of bitcoin.
No, he doesn't. He didn't provide evidence to support his claim (one of the biggest holders?). Roger Ver has also shown support for controversial HF's that would have caused a network split. Regardless, this isn't about Roger Ver (who isn't as good as you think), it is about the users that are using those 'communities'.
Did u read the classic code? Hard Fork will be activated only when 75+% hash power is backing it. How come network will split then? 25% will be forced to join the rest because their coin will no more be valuable.

Consensus is what Blockstream says it is.
I'm not surprised by this nonsense anymore.
I'm not surprised that some people are accepting a statement coming out of a closed door meeting at Hong Kong as consensus either...

Those sites are full of paid Classic shills and average joes that have absolutely no say in a matter as complex as scaling Bitcoin. It's sad that those places have become a trollfest. /r/btc started as a way to talk about everything Bitcoin including the hard fork attempts, and it has ended up a total mess.
I concur. The nature of /r/btc is way too toxic for a new user.
/r/btc is now heaven for those who are banned from /r/bitcoin for silly reasons.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2016, 11:29:33 AM

Did u read the classic code? Hard Fork will be activated only when 75+% hash power is backing it. How come network will split then? 25% will be forced to join the rest because their coin will no more be valuable.
I did, and it is apparently you who doesn't understand what a split is. 75-25, or 3/4 - 1/4 is the very definition of a split. Those 25 percent only refers to the miners. Due to the bad design of Gavin's BIP (very low grace period), it is quite possibly that the majority of users and merchants end up on the "old chain"(with less miners).

I'm not surprised that some people are accepting a statement coming out of a closed door meeting at Hong Kong as consensus either...
You can't blame people for misunderstanding the situation. Quite a lot thought that the meeting meant that Core (as a group) signed the agreement which is obviously not the case.

/r/btc is now heaven for those who are banned from /r/bitcoin for silly reasons.
If you break the rules and get banned, you can't blame the person who banned you. Blame yourself.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
GermanGiant (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 11:47:49 AM

That is what it seems like...
dearbesz

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 04:30:23 AM

What is consensus?

Consensus is the community resolution when opposing parties set aside their differences and
agree on a statement that is agreeable to all, even if only barely. Smiley
CasioK

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 07:05:44 AM

What is consensus?

Consensus is the community resolution when opposing parties set aside their differences and
agree on a statement that is agreeable to all, even if only barely. Smiley
That is close from what I read before, we can say that consensus is a something about harmony from the agreaable of a group. And the Discord is something who opposed harmony, where I've read it though.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: