Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:27:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Paper Wallet confusion  (Read 567 times)
baggage (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:25:36 PM

I generated a paper wallet at Bitaddress and sent my bit coin to it.  It says I can check it's balance by going to the block chain and entering the new address.

When I do that I get "first bits not found."   So how does one go about checking to see if the bit coin is there?
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:28:26 PM

I generated a paper wallet at Bitaddress and sent my bit coin to it.  It says I can check it's balance by going to the block chain and entering the new address.

When I do that I get "first bits not found."   So how does one go about checking to see if the bit coin is there?

Are you sure you're entering the full (33-34 characters, starts with '1') address at blockchain.info?
baggage (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:56:04 PM

I generated a paper wallet at Bitaddress and sent my bit coin to it.  It says I can check it's balance by going to the block chain and entering the new address.

When I do that I get "first bits not found."   So how does one go about checking to see if the bit coin is there?

Are you sure you're entering the full (33-34 characters, starts with '1') address at blockchain.info?

Thank you, that be it.

One more question: Bitaddress generated my private keys, but do I not need to invent a password as well or is my private keys my password?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 07:32:32 AM

I generated a paper wallet at Bitaddress and sent my bit coin to it.  It says I can check it's balance by going to the block chain and entering the new address.

When I do that I get "first bits not found."   So how does one go about checking to see if the bit coin is there?

Thank you, that be it.

One more question: Bitaddress generated my private keys, but do I not need to invent a password as well or is my private keys my password?

Private keys are all you need to spend the coins. You can create encrypted private keys as well if you want added protection. See this post for an overview:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=353705.msg3787633#msg3787633

Avoid brain wallets though. Personally I would recommend install electrum or armory on an offline PC rather than using bitaddress to generate private keys of any sort.
neutrinox

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 07:33:41 AM

The private key is your password if you have a basic paper wallet.

That said, there is now also a way of password protecting the paper wallet, so that nobody can spend the bitcoins in the paper wallet without knowing the password to it. There is a tutorial for that at http://oneminutevideotutorials.com/?cat=25
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: