Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:56:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins sent to a dead wallet address  (Read 888 times)
crotchwaft (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 12:52:27 AM

Hello fine people who answer noobs.

Well, I managed to follow the guides here and generate a few coins by joining btcguild.

I just requested a payout, but remembered, too late, that the wallet address on their file was the one on my previous windows install (did a reinstall of windows when I set up my "mining rig").

My question is:

Will that request go unfilled due to lack of wallet in the system, or are my coins lost forever, forever, forever, forever...

Thanks to all!

P.S. If anyone feels like taking pity on me, or just sending me a tiny amount as a test (my balance is 0.00 and I want to make sure it's working so I can send coins to tradehill) then please use this address.  Good karma for all Smiley

Hopefully I don't screw this up, but i generated a new address in the address book section of GUIminer and named it beggar:

1GCieANXCt7VHBMbiAcJmjQK8YvB8BqGSS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 12:56:26 AM

You just locked yourself out of your coins and threw away the key

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
crotchwaft (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 12:59:08 AM

OMG!  I'm such an idiot!

I wonder what will happen to all those missing coins!?

The total # of coins will just be less I suppose...

(bangs head on desk after putting up with days of hot computer air!)

Thanks for the info...
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:03:32 AM

If you want to attempt recovery, you can try this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:04:42 AM

Don't worry bud, at least you learned the lesson with only a few coins. Be at all times extremely careful with this new system as it develops.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:05:44 AM

If you lost too much money, it might be worth to unplug the HDD that had the old wallet ASAP and pay for someone to try to recover the wallet; somtimes data stay on the disk after deleted, but the more you use it the bigger the chances the "ghost" data will be overwritten with fresh data, so if you wanna have a chance of recovery unplug it as soon as possible; with specialized programs it is possible to recover some deleted data, but the more you used the disk after deleting/formating the bigger the chance the data is lost forever.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
crotchwaft (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:14:58 AM

Thanks a million for the replies guys!

The drive is well and truly formatted over unfortunately, but lesson learned.

Maybe $30 loss.. which is not peanuts to me but not jump-off-a-bridge level either.

Undecided
TiagoTiago

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:43:30 AM

Somtimes files can be recovered even after formating. You gotta weight the trouble of keeping the drive unplugged and the costs of having someone try to recover the data (still with a non-zero chance that it is not recoverable) over how much the lost data is worth to you.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

Thanks a million for the replies guys!

The drive is well and truly formatted over unfortunately, but lesson learned.

Maybe $30 loss.. which is not peanuts to me but not jump-off-a-bridge level either.

Undecided

Did you at least try the link I posted above?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: