Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:16:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Swapping gemstones for coins  (Read 1565 times)
btcltcdigger

Activity: 2030
Merit: 757

To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 04:47:36 PM

Yes, I did send the rough stones off - I went to a gem show in my local area and quickly found a guy who visits Thailand on gem buying tours.  He took the stones over, they were cut and the items were posted back to me.  Sometimes the guy will bring them back if they are ready before he returns.  The various traders at the gem show were all happy to apraise the rough stones and were excited to see Sri Lankan Sapphires as they are a superior quality to the local Australian varieties.

The stones' cut size determines how much to pay (about $4 per carat) - I didn't have to pay until the stones were cut as there is no real way to determine a stones cut weight until it is done.

I see. I guess there's a reason now to take my wife to a gemstone exhibit here. Altho this might turn out to be a costly decision.
So, how much are those sapphires now worth? I'd expect a cut sapphire is much more valuable than an uncut one?
andulolika
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 04:48:57 PM

Yes, I did send the rough stones off - I went to a gem show in my local area and quickly found a guy who visits Thailand on gem buying tours.  He took the stones over, they were cut and the items were posted back to me.  Sometimes the guy will bring them back if they are ready before he returns.  The various traders at the gem show were all happy to apraise the rough stones and were excited to see Sri Lankan Sapphires as they are a superior quality to the local Australian varieties.

The stones' cut size determines how much to pay (about $4 per carat) - I didn't have to pay until the stones were cut as there is no real way to determine a stones cut weight until it is done.

I see. I guess there's a reason now to take my wife to a gemstone exhibit here. Altho this might turn out to be a costly decision.
So, how much are those sapphires now worth? I'd expect a cut sapphire is much more valuable than an uncut one?

I don't know of him having cut sapphires, maybe a few, however they quite affordable, a bit more expensive than the garnets i bought tho but not too much, you can get a couple pieces for 20$ perhaps, can't remember exact pricing but it goes by karat/size. Since they way cheaper uncut you could perhaps start trying to learn to cut yourself or take them for proper cutting.

🔥 🔥 🔥  Satochip - Secure the future  🔥 🔥 🔥
⭐️ Hardware wallet on a smartcard | Affordable and easy to use | Open source and community driven | BTC, LTC, BCH (SLP tokens), ETH (ERC-20 tokens)... ⭐️
──WebsiteShop  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Github──
btcltcdigger

Activity: 2030
Merit: 757

To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 04:50:57 PM

I don't know of him having cut sapphires, maybe a few, however they quite affordable, a bit more expensive than the garnets i bought tho but not too much, you can get a couple pieces for 20$ perhaps, can't remember exact pricing but it goes by karat/size. Since they way cheaper uncut you could perhaps start trying to learn to cut yourself or take them for proper cutting.

I'm not sure i have the dexterity to cut them myself. And they're not good unless they're perfectly cut.
Besides, I'm sure there's few hundred $ of equipment i'd have to invest in + space where to cut it
andulolika
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 05:31:07 PM

I'm not sure i have the dexterity to cut them myself. And they're not good unless they're perfectly cut.
Besides, I'm sure there's few hundred $ of equipment i'd have to invest in + space where to cut it
Well it would take a few years for anyone to do proper cuts, but i was thinking if you were bored and wanted to do it could always ask for some gemcutter to let you fuck your stones, lol.
But yea main idea would be to give to a professional for doing, even I think they are beautiful as they are.

I like the transparent saphires with a small but strong blue taint as a note  and perhaps future self-reminder Smiley:

🔥 🔥 🔥  Satochip - Secure the future  🔥 🔥 🔥
⭐️ Hardware wallet on a smartcard | Affordable and easy to use | Open source and community driven | BTC, LTC, BCH (SLP tokens), ETH (ERC-20 tokens)... ⭐️
──WebsiteShop  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Github──
Timelord2067
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2221

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
March 13, 2020, 12:01:58 AM

I really had no intention of cutting any stones myself, just buy a few an ask around if anyone knew of anyone that could do it.  I was fortunate to find someone at my very first gem show that could have them cut in Thailand, so that's the way I'll probably go from now on.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: