Bitcoin Forum
July 24, 2024, 11:34:40 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please confirm: 1 Private Key is 1 Wallet ?  (Read 734 times)
throttle (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:29:30 AM

Still trying to get my head around this private key thing...

So, If I have 1 wallet in my Multibit client, I have 1 Private Key, right ?

If I add another wallet, I will get another private key, correct?

Each wallet can have multiple addresses - I'm still not clear as to why one would want that though....

So I could
1. Add 2nd wallet to my client
2. Send BTC from wallet1 to wallet2
3. Store wallet 2 offline, and delete it from my client.

Is that a correct way to safely store BTC?

Thanks!
filchef

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:52:23 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 10:39:20 PM by filchef

Still trying to get my head around this private key thing...

So, If I have 1 wallet in my Multibit client, I have 1 Private Key, right ?

If I add another wallet, I will get another private key, correct?

Each wallet can have multiple addresses - I'm still not clear as to why one would want that though....

So I could
1. Add 2nd wallet to my client
2. Send BTC from wallet1 to wallet2
3. Store wallet 2 offline, and delete it from my client.

Is that a correct way to safely store BTC?

Thanks!
So one private key is for one address -in wallet you can have many addresses
every key is in row WITHOUT # and finish to  date and time.
And for every wallet you have to export private keys-it is impossible to export keys for two wallets together
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:00:18 PM

A wallet is a collection of public and private key pairs.

Due to the way bitcoin works you often have coins in address' you did not generate. For example, if you have a private key with 20 BTC, which you use to send me 10BTC, you get a new private key/public address for 10BTC of change, minus transaction fees. A wallet keeps track of all those addresses/private keys for you, usually after automatically generating them.

As an example, a bitcoin-QT wallet has a list of 100 generated public/private key pairs. As you spend and receive bitcoins the wallet app automatically uses those addresses and generates new ones to keep the "pool" at 100 addresses.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
filchef

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:37:34 PM

A wallet is a collection of public and private key pairs.

Due to the way bitcoin works you often have coins in address' you did not generate. For example, if you have a private key with 20 BTC, which you use to send me 10BTC, you get a new private key/public address for 10BTC of change, minus transaction fees. A wallet keeps track of all those addresses/private keys for you, usually after automatically generating them.

As an example, a bitcoin-QT wallet has a list of 100 generated public/private key pairs. As you spend and receive bitcoins the wallet app automatically uses those addresses and generates new ones to keep the "pool" at 100 addresses.

This is for Bitcoin-Qt wallet - in Multibit you have to generate address/private key manual but one time generating when you spend coins the rest of coins can back to every address in your wallet because is necessary to export and then import to the Bitcoin-QT all addresses of the wallet one by one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: