Bitcoin Forum
September 01, 2024, 06:37:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using GPU Only for Mining  (Read 1238 times)
lilmiko (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:18:51 AM

Hi, I have a desktop computer with one video card in it that I am using for mining at the moment. I have it mining at a high intensity to try and use its full potential. The problem is that the computer is quite laggy while mining because (I assume) it's trying to use the GPU (which is constantly at 100% usage) to render everything. There is an Intel i7 3770K processor in the computer that has onboard graphics and would be able to handle everything else that I want to do on the computer. I want to restrict the video card to only be used for mining while the processor is used for everything else.

I have read other threads about going into the BIOS and setting it to use the processor's onboard graphics by default. I tried this but then my video card wasn't recognized by cgminer and MSI Afterburner. Then I read I have to use a dummy plug so that the video card is forced to be used. Well, I hooked my graphics card up to a monitor instead of a dummy plug and restarted the computer several times but the video card is still never recognized.

Specs: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard, ASUS Radeon HD 5850 video card, Intel i7 3770K processor, 13.9 catalyst
AvalonMiner

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:11:43 PM

Try mining litecoins instead, you will do much better Smiley
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1005

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 10:47:26 PM

I used to have a setup like yours. Use the Onboard display for work and use the GPU solely for mining.
I seem to remember I have to install OpenCL SDK? Others can correct me if I am wrong.

Which OS are you using? Window7?
BTCNations

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:03:52 PM

I am mining with my main desktop too, no problems. Just use lower intensity.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: