Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:19:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or Litecoin?  (Read 760 times)
ModalMechanica (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:58:21 AM

I have a few k to invest. From reading around it seems that both bitcoin and litecoin have the best chance of mainstream adoption. What do you guys think is the best bet for the long term? I'm not looking for a quick buck, but maybe something to help me out a few years down the line when I finish college.

I'm also wondering what both of their values are based off, or better yet how real their respective values actually are? They seem to be based solely off of media hype and demand, but I'm not sure.

I appreciate any higher wisdom out there haha.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:00:45 AM

It's all based in speculation at this point. But litecoin is far more speculative than bitcoin -- being much less developed, recognized, used or accepted.
ModalMechanica (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:05:51 AM

So what is it supposed to be based off of in the future? Use? Its hard to imagine the point where people stop speculating or hoarding, and actually begin to treat it like a real currency.
jackioflap

Activity: 52

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:12:35 AM

Id say buy one or two Bitcoins and the rest on Litecoins. Bitcoins are of course the more popular of the two but it wont always be on top. Later on i think there will be even more crypto currencies that get used a lot. Its really impossible to predict what exactly will happen though. Ive always gone for diversity. Keep all avenues open and keep your eyes on them.

" The irrationality of a thing is no
argument against its existence,
rather a condition of it."
kostja

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 04:18:16 AM

I have a few k to invest.
Mine $ with GPU HD7990 on scrypt coins.
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:26:06 AM

So what is it supposed to be based off of in the future? Use? Its hard to imagine the point where people stop speculating or hoarding, and actually begin to treat it like a real currency.
I'm not worried about use as a currency. It can be mainly a store of value / speculative vehicle, like gold. No one transacts in gold. Mainstream use requires acquisition as a mainstream phenomenon.
fegmd

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:06:44 AM

On a slightly different note, what do you all think about peercoin?  I've read that it's more energy efficient than bitcoin and litecoin due to its proof-of-stake rather than proof-of-work principle & I'm guessing this may make it more popular long term.  I've got just a couple 100$ to invest now & am not sure whether it would be smarter to invest in a small amount of bitcoin or more peercoin/litecoin.  Any advice appreciated.
JTrain_51

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:10:13 AM

Id buy bitcoins they are most active and you can do so much more with them!

PangPang

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 08:18:14 AM

Investing in LTC is more risky IMHO.
For BTC, more and more people consider it as a currency and use it to trade goods and service. Not quite the same for LTC.

plej

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 08:30:41 AM

Yeah I also think investing in LTC is risky, but imho now LTC is a little underpriced, we have to wait till Gox supports it, and then it's gonna skyrocket to the moon! Smiley At least I hope so Tongue
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:10:06 AM

take it from someone who has been here for awhile

invest in bitcoin first

ONLY invest in litecoin when its cheap compared to BTC and by that i mean less than 0.02, buying litecoin right now is just silly

twoez

Activity: 44

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:15:12 AM

Can't you invest in litecoin, and then trade it in for bitcoins? At least that's what I would've done. Because I believe that altcoins will be growing much faster percentwise during the next months.
mds_crypt

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:18:09 AM

This is FWIW - I haven't been here a while.

Buy Bitcoins first. Make a good sized stake there. And yeah, I agree with saddambitcoin - wait for a good LTC buying opportunity.

LTC has a very good chance, I feel, of sticking around long term. It makes good sense to be second runner to BTC's dominance, but it is by no means a sure second.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:18:49 AM

Can't you invest in litecoin, and then trade it in for bitcoins? At least that's what I would've done. Because I believe that altcoins will be growing much faster percentwise during the next months.

LTC/BTC is at  high levels, i think 0.02 is fairly valued, greater than 0.03 is exuberant.  0.01, BUY.  follow these rules and you will quadruple your money

Notieboie

Activity: 54
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:21:37 AM

LTC will be good option for now , BTC bubble will brust soon according to me.
thanks
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:26:23 AM

I'm also wondering what both of their values are based off, or better yet how real their respective values actually are? They seem to be based solely off of media hype and demand, but I'm not sure.

you can determine what the real value is based on the hashrate/difficulty of a coin. 

adworker

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:31:47 AM

Litecoin is just pure speculation sometimes in future it will be actually used. Bitcoin on the other hand is very well recognized, and used by many merchants already. While there is big speculation on both coins, only Bitcoin is actually used as payment method already

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk   ■   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 10:06:09 AM

i would hold bitcoin and litecoin. thats the best choice.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: