Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:30:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long have you been mining & what is your current hash rate? (+ bonus Q's)  (Read 9192 times)
J_Dubbs (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:52:16 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2014, 01:25:21 AM by J_Dubbs

3 weeks (early Nov)

52gh/s

(technically 4 weeks, but the GPU mining was just a test)

Just curious.

*Bonus question #1: What equipment is ordered but not implemented?

-->I have another blade on the way.

**Bonus question #2: Are you in a pool? Which one?
-->Slush
yntro

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:46:40 PM

Well I started at 100 MHash/s Cheesy Didn't made much. So I bought some mining device.. Long time ago like 2 months Cheesy Don't remember what kind of though.. Then I got about 1 GHash/s But eventually got bored sold that device ... And ended things with BTC and here I am again

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
lasonic

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:35:01 PM

I've been at this around a month now.  Managed to lay hands on an 8GH/s BFL Jalapeno for around $300 on eBay before BTC shot up and everyone tripled their prices.  Less than a week ago I picked up two TAV RedHash units and am now cruising along at around 225GH/s or so total.

I've toyed with the idea of a Prospero X-3, but have yet to pull the trigger (although leaning heavily in that direction).

As far as pools are concerned, I'm in the process of a few 24 hour test runs across multiple pools (Ghash.io yesterday, BTC Guild as we speak, then Slush and some of the smaller ones to follow).  Looking to see which averages out the best.  I know there is a tremendous amount of luck involved, and fees play into the equation as well, but just conducting more of a rough, non-scientific baseline so I know to some degree that I am maximizing my mining time.

Managed to pull right around .14BTC from a 24 hour run at Ghash yesterday and I'm tracking a little behind that with BTC Guild today (although only halfway through the run).
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:24:43 AM

I've been at this around a month now.  Managed to lay hands on an 8GH/s BFL Jalapeno for around $300 on eBay before BTC shot up and everyone tripled their prices.  Less than a week ago I picked up two TAV RedHash units and am now cruising along at around 225GH/s or so total.

I've toyed with the idea of a Prospero X-3, but have yet to pull the trigger (although leaning heavily in that direction).

As far as pools are concerned, I'm in the process of a few 24 hour test runs across multiple pools (Ghash.io yesterday, BTC Guild as we speak, then Slush and some of the smaller ones to follow).  Looking to see which averages out the best.  I know there is a tremendous amount of luck involved, and fees play into the equation as well, but just conducting more of a rough, non-scientific baseline so I know to some degree that I am maximizing my mining time.

Managed to pull right around .14BTC from a 24 hour run at Ghash yesterday and I'm tracking a little behind that with BTC Guild today (although only halfway through the run).

Nice! I picked up a BFL Jally that does a steady 7.5gh/s, did local pickup on Ebay for $260. Despite the reputation they built from the late shipments, I've gotta say I like the BFL unit a lot. It looks clean, was a breeze to setup, and it's been super-reliable. Just got another blade so I am pushing a little over 60gh/s now. Please keep us updated on your pool research. Have you considered a shot at solo-mining? One of my rigs found a block with a pool, it got me considering mining solo on holidays or just now and then to play the odds... But I guess there's always SatoshiDICE if I'm feeling lucky, better than scratch-tickets I guess  Grin

Good luck!
helipotte

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:31:05 AM

Been mining since april 2011.  Started with a single Radeon 5830 and made 1 BTC every 5 days. Grin

Now have about 200Gh of various ASICs and make about the same. Tongue  Stopped in 2012 because of BTC price dip.

Make most bitcoin now by trading.
gamefixer

Activity: 440

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:08:16 AM

started in 8/2011 with two 6850's (I think). Left them alone for a little more then 2 years until one of them started making nasty fan noise. Connected a monitor to it only to find that it had BSOD'd A LONG TIME AGO (according to btcguild).

That was maybe 650Mh's... I've since upgraded to a little over a TH's.
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:07:47 AM

started in 8/2011 with two 6850's (I think). Left them alone for a little more then 2 years until one of them started making nasty fan noise. Connected a monitor to it only to find that it had BSOD'd A LONG TIME AGO (according to btcguild).

That was maybe 650Mh's... I've since upgraded to a little over a TH's.
LOL how many months lost?
o999

Activity: 13

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:08:36 AM

Hi,

I started GPU mining in early 2012. In September 2012 I ordered a BFL 30GH/s Little Single that was delivered in September 2013 (somewhat ironically, about 8 hours after I left on a 10 day trip...).

I decided to sell that on eBay in October (mainly because of the difficulty going up ~40% per 10-12 days). I got $AU1125 for it (more than I paid), but I bought a 96GH/s BitBurner Fury on eBay a couple of days later for $AU1,575, and that is my current capacity.

No plans to upgrade at the moment.

Cheers.
Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:45:35 AM

Mining since June 2013, started with one ASICMINER Block Erupter USB.  Have now expanded to:
9 x ASICMINER Block Erupter USB
1 x Butterfly Labs 7 GH/s ASIC Miner
3 x Butterfly Labs 60 GH/s ASIC Miner
1 x KncMiner Jupiter ASIC Miner

Total hashrate: ~730 GH/s (it varies a bit)

On pre-order:
1 x Bitmine CoinCraft Rig 2 TH/s
1 x KnCMiner Neptune ASIC Miner

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
gamefixer

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:12:04 AM

LOL how many months lost?

Close to a year from what I could tell.  Cry
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:29:29 AM

Is there a source that reports the average hash rate per miner? Seems like a lot of big dogs hang on this forum, curious what the avg is...
gamefixer

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:33:04 AM

Is there a source that reports the average hash rate per miner? Seems like a lot of big dogs hang on this forum, curious what the avg is...

I assume your saying per miner as in "user" and not hardware.

That would be an interesting bit of information.
ewhenn

Activity: 59

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:00:41 AM

Mined BTC from around Feb 2012 - ASIC release.

Started with 400 M/H, ended up with around 1200 M/H.

Mining LTC with 1800 K/H now.
botolo86

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:06:23 AM

Mining since June 2013, started with one ASICMINER Block Erupter USB.  Have now expanded to:

On pre-order:

Are you reinvesting profits from mining or are you adding new capital?
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:23:35 AM

I assume your saying per miner as in "user" and not hardware.

That would be an interesting bit of information.

Yes, per user... Even within a pool this would be interesting, kinda wish they provided stats like this. I mean, within a pool we just need to divide the total hash by the number of user accounts. Do any pools share the amount of members they have? It's odd because I've been trying to find this info for a while and haven't had any luck. No scientific approach, basically been searching Google for "decent hash rate Bitcoin" and "average hash rate Bitcoin" etc etc.

Kinda felt like I wasn't too shabby until responses started coming through so much higher. I'd love to see a mean hash value from a random sample. Maybe a poll on these forums would encourage more responses because it's quick and anonymous...
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 07:28:01 AM

3 weeks

52gh/s

Just curious.

-->Slush

I started mining in like may.  I have 280 GH now and its awesome getting the BTC steady income but dude.  I should have taken the money I spent on the piece of shit and bought bitcoin.  I'd be richer today.

Join slush's pool.  Slush is a genius and his pool is no frills. It's nice.

Slush actually introduced the concept of pooled mining.  He was met with opposition but he understood it all.  Slush IS the shit.

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:38:00 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 09:48:25 AM by J_Dubbs

3 weeks

52gh/s

Just curious.

-->Slush

I started mining in like may.  I have 280 GH now and its awesome getting the BTC steady income but dude.  I should have taken the money I spent on the piece of shit and bought bitcoin.  I'd be richer today.

Slush actually introduced the concept of pooled mining.  He was met with opposition but he understood it all.  Slush IS the shit.

Yeah but through mining you avoid all the psychological baggage that comes with the specific cost basis when trading. I had a stock just post a 110% gain after moving sideways for two months. The decision to hold, close, or just trim a portion was very stressful. After all these years it's never gets easier for me to close when my targets hit. Much easier to dump losers, I enter all my trades with a target exit price but it doesn't make the decision any easier... So if you bought BTC at $50 what are the chances you would have held all the way to $1,000? I know I'd probably have dumped out too early to "lock in the win"- nothing worse than watching a winner turn into a loser, but watching something continue higher the day following a sale sucks almost as much. What I enjoy about mining is that it's just plain interesting, but also it makes cost basis seem completely irrelevant. My position feels more long-term without the added pressure on timing the market for a specified gain or fear of not recognizing a sell-off only to be stuck holding an empty bag later. We've got our gear, we pay a little extra to the electric company, and we build a BTC position built up steadily over time; something I kinda prefer about that arrangement.
Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:05:53 AM

On pre-order:

Are you reinvesting profits from mining or are you adding new capital?
Adding new capital. The only BTC I spent on my rig was to purchase custom end-plates for the BFL 60 GH/s miners - for reduced noise and lower temps. 

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 02:01:21 PM

3 weeks

52gh/s

Just curious.

-->Slush

Slush actually introduced the concept of pooled mining.  He was met with opposition but he understood it all.  Slush IS the shit.

Yeah but through mining you avoid all the psychological baggage that comes with the specific cost basis when trading. I had a stock just post a 110% gain after moving sideways for two months. The decision to hold, close, or just trim a portion was very stressful. After all these years it's never gets easier for me to close when my targets hit. Much easier to dump losers, I enter all my trades with a target exit price but it doesn't make the decision any easier... So if you bought BTC at $50 what are the chances you would have held all the way to $1,000? I know I'd probably have dumped out too early to "lock in the win"- nothing worse than watching a winner turn into a loser, but watching something continue higher the day following a sale sucks almost as much. What I enjoy about mining is that it's just plain interesting, but also it makes cost basis seem completely irrelevant. My position feels more long-term without the added pressure on timing the market for a specified gain or fear of not recognizing a sell-off only to be stuck holding an empty bag later. We've got our gear, we pay a little extra to the electric company, and we build a BTC position built up steadily over time; something I kinda prefer about that arrangement.

I understand this sentiment for sure.  The miner I bought certainly paid out in fiat and then some.  Sounds fine to me.  KNCminer was profession and sort of timely as well.  Their next 20 nm product is $13k.  Are you going to go for it? 

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:16:24 PM

3 weeks

52gh/s

Just curious.

-->Slush

I understand this sentiment for sure.  The miner I bought certainly paid out in fiat and then some.  Sounds fine to me.  KNCminer was profession and sort of timely as well.  Their next 20 nm product is $13k.  Are you going to go for it?  

Too rich for my blood, no chance for me... I'm just a hobby status.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: