Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:11:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I got robbed for 0.0005 bitcoins and why it may matter for the future.  (Read 934 times)
Skybuck (OP)

Activity: 384
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 10:25:03 AM

Hello,

I think the robbery went down as follows:

1. I was testing bitcoin at the time to see if it can handle the minimum ammount which was something like 0.00000001.

2. I set the transaction fee to 0. (At least I think so ? Can I go back in time in the blockchain and see if a transaction fee was offered or not by me ?)

3. I send the minimum ammount to myself, to a new bitcoin address.

4. The transaction was accepted and confirmed and is now part of the blockchain however: 0.0005 bitcoins were deducted from the account where I sent it from, so that transaction now says: -0.0005    

(also the client doesn't even show the 0.00000001 maybe it gets rounded or so in the gui, also the client crashes was trying to catch up to latest blocks I will restart that later on).

So apperently somebody accepted the transaction but still charged transaction fees ? Is this allowed ?

The issue at hand is:

If in the future people want to make small little bitcoin transactions and they set the transaction fee to 0 they might be fooled into believing it's free, while in reality they get "robbed" like this ?! Wink Smiley

So either I did something wrong ? Or bitcoin robbed me ! =D

(Another possibility could be that the little transaction was getting through for free and maybe I set the transaction fee to 0.0005 ? I don't think I would do that but I simply can't remember so... there ya go 3 possibilities.)

Bye,
  Skybuck.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 10:37:40 AM

Transaction ID to verify this? Also, it's not possible to set the fee to 0 on the client, not without some "hacks" anyway. Bitcoin used to support 1 satoshi transactions, but they were dust amounts, so the minimum amount you can send is 5430(or 54k?) satoshis I think.

Also, miners CANNOT charge you a fee. You are the one who willingly provides it, or you agree with the client to provide the necessary fee.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 10:43:04 AM

It also always prompts and asks in the GUI if it needs to provide a fee to satisify the network rules, and in current software the fee required to satisfy the rules for dust transactions is 0.0001BTC/kb, so 0.0005 sounds surprising unless the transaction was build from a lot of dust or done with an old version of the software.
Rluner

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 10:44:51 AM

Transaction ID to verify this?

Agree with the above quote; to look further into this incident you must provide the Transaction ID. Then all will be explained.
Skybuck (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:08:02 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2013, 12:03:20 PM by Skybuck

Transaction ID, (I wrote about this years ago, so privacy was already gone back then Wink)

https://blockchain.info/nl/tx/12451e79632533ee082d304b09658a1da9be1cfb00797ba8bd99acd5423269eb
inkadnb

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:12:10 AM

Doesn't make sense, you have a remaining balance, why would you get robbed for a low amount when there's more in that address?

You sure it wasn't a change address?

Skybuck (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:25:47 AM

It also always prompts and asks in the GUI if it needs to provide a fee to satisify the network rules, and in current software the fee required to satisfy the rules for dust transactions is 0.0001BTC/kb, so 0.0005 sounds surprising unless the transaction was build from a lot of dust or done with an old version of the software.

I have two older versions of the software still on my harddisk, one of them was used:

bitcoin-0.4.0-win32
bitcoin-0.5.0rc7-win32

Today I installed a new version:

bitcoin-0.8.5-win32

I just started up one of the older versions: 0.4.0-beta. It's actually better for displaying the ammounts, it shows all 8 decimal places behind the comma.

I think what happened is the following:

Perhaps I got confused by the text in options, maybe I didn't read or understand it right it says:

"Optional transaction fee per kB etc". The new client still says this.

Perhaps I believed the 0 in that field indicates that no transaction costs will be charged, so for a newby maybe this mislead me believing that it was free.

How can a newb have any idea what this field is about Huh I still find it a bit weird to this day Wink

Also why 0 transaction fees (still) not allowed ? weird.

I also find it a bit weird that no miner is present... if people want to play the lottery why stop them ?
Skybuck (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:29:31 AM

Doesn't make sense, you have a remaining balance, why would you get robbed for a low amount when there's more in that address?

As far as I remember I did not want to pay any transaction fees, there is an option in the bitcoin client that says: "transaction fee: 0".

Apperently that's some optional transaction fee ? I don't understand how that would be collected or why it would matter ? I guess it has something to do with many many destinations or so or perhaps comments for the transaction... really weird.

So I believed I could do free small transactions and then somehow bitcoin send 0.001 btc ? then 0.0005 was taken away as transaction costs, and 0.0005 was returned or so ? or just 0.00000001 ?

You guys suppose to figure out what happened not me Smiley

So what does it look like to you ?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:59:23 PM

As far as I remember I did not want to pay any transaction fees, there is an option in the bitcoin client that says: "transaction fee: 0".

Apperently that's some optional transaction fee ? I don't understand how that would be collected or why it would matter ? I guess it has something to do with many many destinations or so or perhaps comments for the transaction... really weird.

So I believed I could do free small transactions and then somehow bitcoin send 0.001 btc ? then 0.0005 was taken away as transaction costs, and 0.0005 was returned or so ? or just 0.00000001 ?

You guys suppose to figure out what happened not me Smiley

So what does it look like to you ?
no, you're supposed to read the prompts. if you set transaction fee to zero and the transaction needs a fee (determined by the client), it will ask you if you want to send with a fee, with options [ok] and [cancel]. this behavior was in bitcoin-wx and bitcoin-qt. the only explanation for you being "robbed" is you failing to read the prompts.

also, bitcoin transactions were never supposed to be free.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:27:15 PM

If you're using bitcoin-qt, you could try out Armory. It adds another layer of security and usability and gives you more control over the transactions.

Edit: As others have already mentioned, you payed 0.0005 fee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: