Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overview of How to Back up Multibit Wallets  (Read 2413 times)
monkeybars (OP)

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:12:36 AM

Hi all,

Due to the OS X bug in Bitcoin-qt, I decided to switch to Multibit.

The client works fine and is fast. Also, I like how you can have multiple wallets.

However, the instructions on how to back up wallets are extremely confusing at best.

There is a big page in the support site about how Multibit makes automated backups of wallets, but not where they are. Nowhere online have I been able to find where all these .wallet files etc. live.

One site recommended I simply export my private key to back up Multibit wallets. But somewhere else, I read that when you recover a wallet from a private key, all addresses are lost, which in my book means the wallet was not actually backed up.

Other wallet clients have a simple "Create Wallet Backup" menu choice that just saves a .dat file to a disk of your choice. But Multibit does not. This is extremely confusing and worrying, since after all security in digital money is perhaps the most vital type of technical security.

So, can anyone explain how to back up my Multibit wallet securely and thoroughly, in simple layman's terms?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
haos

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:25:18 AM

I'll appreciate a reply on this as well.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:54:06 PM

It says on the multi bit site that the location of the wallet file is mentioned in multibit window title. Can you see it there?
monkeybars (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:53:00 PM

It says on the multi bit site that the location of the wallet file is mentioned in multibit window title. Can you see it there?

I'm grateful and embarrassed now! Yes the path is there and I found the files!

I don't know exactly what to back up, so I suppose I'll back up that entire folder.

Thank you very much Abdussamad. If you have any suggestions about exactly which files to back up I would be thankful.

One more question, this time in regards to backing up the private key. Is there a security risk in doing this? In other words, can someone else import my private key and steal my bitcoins?
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:23:53 PM

the only thing we need to back up is our .wallet file, right? that should include all keys and addresses as of the time of back up, correct?

thanks in advance for replies.

rnoynet

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 11:46:35 AM

I´d like to make a backup to another computer, but cannot find any of the .wallet files in that title string... I have spanish windows.

The string is in english C:\Users\"Myname"\AppData\Roaming\Multibit\"Walletname".wallet . What might it be in spanish?
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 11:42:14 AM

Gary has written a help page on backing up wallets here:

https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_walletBackups.html

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
rnoynet

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:13:16 PM

Thanks jim618!

But I cannot find that string :
C:\Users\"Myname"\AppData\Roaming\Multibit\"Walletname".wallet in my computer at all.

I have two Multibit wallets. they both work fine, but I cannot solve this backup problem. Any help?
monkeybars (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:12:40 AM

Your library is probably hidden, which is a stupid and terrible change Apple made in OS X in some recent version or other. Google how to unhide the Library folder and run that command in the terminal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: