Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:53:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to overcome scammed platforms.  (Read 109 times)
kache2018 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 10:34:04 PM

There are really some platforms that comes into the cryptoblock but are scam in any form. How to get rid of these? Aside from carefully researching its roots and purpose? Or shall I say, is there any possible way to stop this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 10:58:53 PM

Nah. You aren't going to stop scams globally, although there are ways to prevent it. Such ways could be a watchdog system which identifies scams and lets the public know. Although, this is subjective and can lead to bias so would need trustworthy individuals running it. Honestly, though I don't think we need to babysit everyone and people will need to make their own mistakes and learn from them. I don't want to see anyone scammed but, it's simply impossible to stop.
kache2018 (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:11:37 PM

Nah. You aren't going to stop scams globally, although there are ways to prevent it. Such ways could be a watchdog system which identifies scams and lets the public know. Although, this is subjective and can lead to bias so would need trustworthy individuals running it. Honestly, though I don't think we need to babysit everyone and people will need to make their own mistakes and learn from them. I don't want to see anyone scammed but, it's simply impossible to stop.
Hopefully this watchdog system you are saying will also help especially those who are already obvious in showing or stabilizing their platforms. This public spread of information only shows integrity and safety among users which for me is essential.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:23:13 PM

The "watchdog" system is already in place here at the forum. You'll find that a few members here keep their eye out for potential scams and try and stop them before too many people get hurt. You'll find quite a few of these people on DefaultTrust and the lower depths of it. If you ever think something may well be a scam then check out the scam accusations section and do a quick search. If they are a popular company/service then it's likely someone has already asked the question themselves.
marjon

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:26:22 PM

We can't stop it easily but we can do something to minimize their dominance by writing informative reviews about their false scheme. This will make bad reputation to them soon they will get less of investors.
isidrorex

Activity: 210

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 01:28:20 PM

We just can't stop them easily because they might look good and legit at first but then they are scammers so in order to help us in these situations in verifying real and legit platforms, I guess the "watchdog" system is already in place here at our forum who keeps an eye to newbies trying to support and promote a certain platform. Let's just be observant and vigilant to avoid being victims of shitty scammed platforms and help each other to make this forum scam-free.
mithrim

Activity: 434
Merit: 436

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 04:40:10 PM

Why would you even try to stop them in the first place? It's a waste of time if you do. Fraud and duplicity are as old as mankind itself. Better try to make people aware and educate them. Make them aware and help them that way. Punishing those who scam people is a must, sure (if you can), but we will never be able to stop all of them. It's much more dangerous to get lulled into a false sense of security. Always be vigilant.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 05:59:34 AM

There's no way to stop them. You can help to stop them from spreading though. One way to do that is by reporting them to authorities and hope they do something about it. Here are a few examples:

For phishing/malware sites specifically, you could go straight to Google using these:

Another way is to spread awareness, and as Welsh has said, this is a pretty good place for that.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:35:33 AM

Why would you even try to stop them in the first place? It's a waste of time if you do. Fraud and duplicity are as old as mankind itself. Better try to make people aware and educate them. Make them aware and help them that way. Punishing those who scam people is a must, sure (if you can), but we will never be able to stop all of them. It's much more dangerous to get lulled into a false sense of security. Always be vigilant.
As the saying goes: "prevention is better than cure" meaning we should try to prevent the damage caused by scams before they have happened because, after they have happened irreversible damage has already taken place. Also, just because you can't stop all of them doesn't mean you shouldn't try too. I'm all for the people who dedicate their time in helping people stay safe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: