Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mybitcoin assetts not correct - with proof  (Read 2123 times)
Departure (OP)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 288

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:38:18 AM

All these TOm Williams Press releases doesn't add up to his assett claims, The press releases speak for them selfs, I have highlighted in Red the parts of importance..

Latest Assett Release, Which is total bullshit if compared to his excuse in the press releases...

Sunday, August 7th, 2011

MYBITCOIN ASSETS AND LIABILITIES DISCLOSURE

Liabilities (Bitcoin)      Assets (Bitcoin)   Percentage
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          154,406.34272079      75,666.76066691         49%

Now his 2nd Press Releasing stating how these got stolen

Friday, August 5th, 2011

From the desk of Tom Williams, operator of MyBitcoin.com

For immediate release.

SECURITY BREACH DISCLOSURE

After careful analysis of the intrusion we have concluded that the software that waited for Bitcoin confirmations was far too lenient. An unknown attacker was able to forge Bitcoin deposits via the Shopping Cart Interface (SCI) and withdraw confirmed/older Bitcoins. This led to a slow trickle of theft that went unnoticed for a few days. Luckily, we do keep a percentage of the holdings in cold storage so the attackers didn’t completely clean us out. Just to clarify, we weren’t “fully” hacked aka “rooted”. You can still trust our PGP, SSL, and Tor public keys.
It appears to be human error combined with a misunderstanding of how Bitcoin secures transactions into the next block. Our programmer was under the assumption that one block was good enough to secure a transaction. Two years ago when the software was written, this single confirm myth was a popular belief.
In hindsight we should have credited deposits after one confirmation so they would show up in the transaction history, and held the deposit until it reached at least 3 confirmations. Keeping track of two balances and displaying them in the login area would have been trivial.

So from the above we can assume that a single attacker was "trickling" out bitcoins, Tirckly out is NOT 75,000btc and over half its assetts in bitcoins. But lucklily they keep a percentage offline, So now he is saying not only did this single attacker trickel out bitcoins but he could have only done it on a percentage of the coins as the rest are offline. He also states they didn't get cleaned out, If the singlwe attacker took 51% off ALL his assetts and a percentage of that assett was offline how can you claim this, it just doesn't add up.

His first press release...

Thursday, August 4th, 2011

From the desk of Tom Williams, operator of MyBitcoin.com

For immediate release.

As you have probably noticed, MyBitcoin.com had been down for almost a week due to an unfortunate event.

On Friday of last week we noticed that one of our pooled holding servers was missing a large amount of Bitcoins. After a prompt investigation we realized that the security of our SCI (Shopping Cart Interface) system had been breached by an unknown attacker.

Our response was rash, but necessary. We simply switched the system off until we could have system-wide forensics performed. The forensics took some time, as the system is quite complex by nature.

After weighing all of our options, we have realized that we have no option but to go into receivership. We will settle all accounts with a online claim process that we are currently in the process of working out.

We will release more detailed information about the security breach, the claim process, and our balance sheet in the next few days.

Tom Williams

Just how many pool holding servers do you have, Logic conclusing must be 2 servers only, 1 pool server with 51% of all your Assetts and another 49% offline, the attacker must have total cleaned out the single pool server that was online holding 51% of total assetts?? sorry im not buying your lies. this does not make any sense...

Anyone else agree these sums dont add up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maged
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:48:55 AM

It is a complete lie. We DO know that they likely lost everything in holding, if things were as he'd want them to seem. However, people haven't seen Bitcoins move from their deposit address, when they should have been sent to either the hacker or cold storage. Under no circumstance would it have made sense that they didn't move, unless this was all a hoax to appear like they were hacked so that they could force everyone to remove their funds, allowing them to blend in during the mass-withdrawal to make off with half the coins.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 02:55:37 AM

It is a complete lie. We DO know that they likely lost everything in holding, if things were as he'd want them to seem. However, people haven't seen Bitcoins move from their deposit address, when they should have been sent to either the hacker or cold storage. Under no circumstance would it have made sense that they didn't move, unless this was all a hoax to appear like they were hacked so that they could force everyone to remove their funds, allowing them to blend in during the mass-withdrawal to make off with half the coins.

guilty until proven ..... guilty ?

Departure (OP)

Merit: 288

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:00:13 AM

He didn't say they lost everything, he said "Large amount from 1 pool holdings", saying large amount doesn't mean all fromt hat pool holding. It was stolen by 1 user according to him who trickled out bitcoins fromt hat single pool holding and took a large amount. lets assume he has multiple pool holding as he has stated there is no way a "large amount" from 1 of these pool holding could add up to 51% of total bitcoins being held by mybitcoins....
Maged
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:07:36 AM

He didn't say they lost everything, he said "Large amount from 1 pool holdings", saying large amount doesn't mean all fromt hat pool holding.
I'm not going by what he said, I'm going by what happened. For about a day before the site went down, withdrawals would fail. That only happens in two cases: bitcoind was down, or the online wallet was out of money. He knew that, so he could fake it.

BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:15:26 AM

Expect some creative manipulation of account balance availability when requests for withdrawing begins
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:32:24 AM

As someone else said, 75kBTC is not a "trickling out". I for one also don't particularly believe that 75kBTC was double-spent, even if they did only wait for one confirmation. What kind of asshole "business" owner doesn't notice that the accounts are down several thousand almost immediately, let alone long enough for someone to "trickle out" 51% of the company holdings.

Almost no part of the story adds up.

^_^
Nagle
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 05:40:54 AM

Is "MyBitcoin.com" a corporation, or is Williams personally liable for the half million dollars?

(And yes, he can be found if necessary, although it might cost a few thousand dollars.)
fourpointplay

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:44:41 AM

I disagree with the word 'proof' in the title. Remember, Casey Anthony was found not guilty.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:48:58 AM

Is "MyBitcoin.com" a corporation, or is Williams personally liable for the half million dollars?

(And yes, he can be found if necessary, although it might cost a few thousand dollars.)

Incorporated as an LLC in Nevis - where disclosure of the owner's identity is not required for registration.  Fuck only knows where "Tom Williams" is actually located or his true identity.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:52:00 AM

In order to know what's not correct, you must first know what correct is.

What is correct?

Be humble!
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:59:08 AM

I'd thank my lucky stars I'm getting something back.  The majority of thieves don't give anything back. 

Be humble!
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 06:03:07 AM

John Doe and Richard Roe are vouching  for Tom Williams's honesty.
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 06:08:52 AM

I disagree with the word 'proof' in the title. Remember, Casey Anthony was found not guilty.

Nagle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 06:25:23 AM

There's quite a bit that can be done here, if you lost a significant amount of money. "MyBitcoin.com" is hosted by LeaseWeb, in Amsterdam.  That creates a business nexus in Holland, so you can sue there. It also may provide a way to locate and identify "Tom Williams". There are international collection agencies which will handle cases like this for a fraction of the recovery. 

Whether or not MyBitcoin is actually registered as a corporation in St. Kitts / Nevis needs to be investigated. "Tom Williams" may not have the protection of an LLC.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 10:30:30 AM

I wouldn't trust any statements from "Tom Williams" at this point but I don't see a clear contradiction in his last statements either.

If some vulnerability "led to a trickling out" of Bitcoins then this doesn't mean that the rate of loss didn't increase over time, up to a point where it might not be called trickling anymore and finally adds up to the 75k. In fact, that's what I would expect with an attacker first trying out smaller amounts and then improving the technique / getting bolder / telling others about the vulnerability etc... He never said that the whole loss was due to "trickling".

Also, "one of our pooled holding servers" doesn't rule out that every of the servers in the pool had all the private keys for the whole online holdings and were just pooled for redundancy/availability. Nowhere does it read that their Bitcoins were in fact split over multiple servers.

As I said: I wouldn't trust his words as it stands now, but proving that somebody lies works differently.

Anyway, given the circumstances - everybody getting anything back at this time can probably count themselves lucky.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 12:07:52 PM

MyBitcoin.com USERS HAD BITCOIN STOLEN. They are returning a portion 49% of them to you: Not sure where to send them? CALL ME. 646-580-0022
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: