Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:27:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Purchasing coins via Moneybookers/PayPal/Credit Card  (Read 1337 times)
finltc22 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 12:38:57 PM

Hi,

I've noticed these three options arent available anywhere, on any market...usually its just bank transfers and dodgy e-wallets (which also require bank trasnfer in the beginning)

It is quite hard to buy coins, if I decide to bank wire, it takes sooo much time for it to get processed and then it's too late....

Are there any time-reasonable ways to buy them darn coins?
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 12:48:31 PM

Hi,

I've noticed these three options arent available anywhere, on any market...usually its just bank transfers and dodgy e-wallets (which also require bank trasnfer in the beginning)

It is quite hard to buy coins, if I decide to bank wire, it takes sooo much time for it to get processed and then it's too late....

Go to localbitcoins , if you want to avoid banks.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
jduartedj

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 01:21:07 PM

Localbitcoins is an option but I don't have an opinion since I haven't used it.
I know it has some kind of escrow so should be ok, feedback seems ok.

They don't use paypal and such because it is easily "scammable", with virtual goods anyone can receive the value in BTC and then open a dispute saying he didn't receive it! Even though it is public paypal doesn't know if the Bitcoin address is yours and if the transaction has really been made and only has the option to give the money back!

I use Payza but there are sites many you can use like EgoPay or OKpay.
Then use a trading site like BTC-E or bitstamp to trade them up.

Beware of the fees:
  • funding the wallet in the site from your bank
  • transferring from the site to the trading site
  • trading fees
  • withdrawal fees to the site again
  • receiving fees on the site
  • withdrawal fee to you bank

(This is the reason why on localbitcoins you have such high trading rates!)
AuroraHF

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 01:22:44 PM

Hi,

Problem with those three options are they are easily reversible so scammers and rippers take advantage of that by calling up their bank and saying that the payment was unauthorized.

lmao
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 03:17:44 PM

I have been trying to find a way to buy bitcoins with paypal, but it seems very hard to do because of chargeback scams.

Has anyone used bank transfer?

A lot of services seem to offer this method of buying bitcoins, but I have no idea what the banks charge for the service. Is it cheaper to transfer money between bank accounts in the same country, or does it cost the same as international money transfers between bank accounts?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 03:30:09 PM

Campbx takes USPS money orders. They cost $1.60 for depositing up to $1000. Also they are in the USA, and comply with financial laws.  Bitcoins are no longer hard to get.

Don't screw around with PayPal. Your money and bitcoins will be stolen and you will wish you had not tried it.  Cry

EDIT: I use bank transfers with verified accounts. Easy-peasy.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitcoinproplayer

Activity: 58

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 03:43:13 PM

Hi,

Try virwox.com
vdcc

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 04:34:14 PM

That's maybe the major drawback of bitcoin - no easy way in. And i'm talking about regular people, not miners, brokers/speculators etc. The ones that actually spend money (usually via PP and/or CC) to BUY things (not just cryptocurrencies), the ones that eventually can replace PP and other existing payment methods with bitcoin.
And they don't want to wire funds to some shaddy exchange, wait for 7-30 days just to buy coins.
Neither they want to meet with someone in person to exchange money for coins (or vice versa)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:55:37 PM

That's maybe the major drawback of bitcoin - no easy way in. And i'm talking about regular people, not miners, brokers/speculators etc. The ones that actually spend money (usually via PP and/or CC) to BUY things (not just cryptocurrencies), the ones that eventually can replace PP and other existing payment methods with bitcoin.
And they don't want to wire funds to some shaddy exchange, wait for 7-30 days just to buy coins.
Neither they want to meet with someone in person to exchange money for coins (or vice versa)
I find it no harder than managing and moving dollars electronically. You mentioned PayPal, well it's basically the same process to fund your PayPal account. Get verified, send money, wait for your account to be funded. It's getting through the morass of legal requirements on dollars that is the problem. Once you have bitcoin you are free.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
varun1244

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 07:46:26 PM

virwox is one such service which allows buying coins with PP but the fees is too high and first time transaction may take upto three days or more to be processed
vdcc

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 07:22:31 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2013, 07:35:19 PM by vdcc

I find it no harder than managing and moving dollars electronically. You mentioned PayPal, well it's basically the same process to fund your PayPal account. Get verified, send money, wait for your account to be funded. It's getting through the morass of legal requirements on dollars that is the problem. Once you have bitcoin you are free.
People don't care if they're free or not, they want the easiest way possible to exchange and lowest fees.
Of course it's not a problem for someone who dislikes the current monetary system, or for the miners, traders, etc. but they're not majority (not even close). How many people know anything about cryptocurrencies, 1%?
cryptocap

Activity: 37

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 08:01:17 PM

If you deposit cash in a bank account, that's pretty instant, but you have to be close to the bank that the seller uses. At least the fees are low. Western union is fairly quick but you have to bite the fees. Just a few other options that are quicker than waiting for paypal or another service to verify the funds.
vdcc

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 08:16:36 PM

WU is too expensive (and that's gonna ruin them even before coins do), wire takes too long (~week on most exchanges), nothing beats direct payment with CC or Paypal.
Hard to get in and even harder to get out (deposits and withdrawals) is a big problem that can cause a real damage to cryptocurrencies (totally stop or at least slow down the adoption)
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:59:26 PM

In theory , practically , it's a lot harder for some people.
You can fund a PP account with one click , check the speculation thread with people angry their funds haven't reached the exchanges at time and they missed "the boat "the crash"the rise" the god knows what.

You've been here long enough to know buying bitcoins is sometimes a pain in the ass.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:48:11 AM

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Do most exchanges require a minimum fraction of a bitcoin deposit when starting trading for the first time?
Ulysses1994XF04

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:05:08 AM

People don't care if they're free or not, they want the easiest way possible to exchange and lowest fees.
Of course it's not a problem for someone who dislikes the current monetary system, or for the miners, traders, etc. but they're not majority (not even close). How many people know anything about cryptocurrencies, 1%?

Ditto; I've been reading up on this, watching tonnes of Youtube tutorials and I still can't figure this out.

I figured out how to install something called "guiminer" and it's been running at ~350 khash/s (f-ed if I know what that means, but I've been told it's slow). I have no idea how to access the Bitcoins it's generating or even if it's generating any.

What exactly am I "freeing" myself from?
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 01:42:54 AM

Yeah I'm having trouble here. How can I buy an sell coins and the worst thing is it seems like none of these places will sen money to me. Like u can't cash out of mt gox.  Just seems so shady what's the problem why can't anyone open a reputable exchange where u can actually get fiat money out?

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
QuizMasterChris

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:55:56 AM

Agreed that there is a STEEP curve to the average person in obtaining BTC in any way.

I tried using an exchange (eobot) that accepted PayPal for purchase.  They refunded the money after 5 weeks - after making $900 on my deposit! - and only gave me back the principal.

BTC's steep entry ability is a scammer's dream come true.
velvet18

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:29:40 AM

thats not much posible , unrefund able bitcoin vs refund able ewallet
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:10:03 PM

Yeah I'm having trouble here. How can I buy an sell coins and the worst thing is it seems like none of these places will sen money to me. Like u can't cash out of mt gox.  Just seems so shady what's the problem why can't anyone open a reputable exchange where u can actually get fiat money out?

Bitstamp.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄