Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:56:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: if a coin doesnt hard fork because of asic and you hold alot do you sell?  (Read 121 times)
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 01:25:58 AM

say you have thousands of a certain coin and you find out an asic device has been made  for your coins algo, and then the DEV refuses to hard fork.

do you dump your coins because once the asics hit you cant mine for profit and the asic owners will dump everything they can to make their money back creating massive sell walls and coin crash in price?
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 01:33:05 AM

say you have thousands of a certain coin and you find out an asic device has been made  for your coins algo, and then the DEV refuses to hard fork.

do you dump your coins because once the asics hit you cant mine for profit and the asic owners will dump everything they can to make their money back creating massive sell walls and coin crash in price?

That's a good question.

From a mining perspective you will not be able to compete with the ASICs unless you also invest in ASICs.  Having ASICs mine a coin (all I think) won't affect the amount of coins being produced, you just need more mining power to get the same amount of coins.  So in reality nothing should change.
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 01:45:37 AM

That's a good question.

From a mining perspective you will not be able to compete with the ASICs unless you also invest in ASICs.  Having ASICs mine a coin (all I think) won't affect the amount of coins being produced, you just need more mining power to get the same amount of coins.  So in reality nothing should change.

I think what happens is when gpu miners aka regular folks are pushed out of mining , you. seemore dumping which is what those bigger farms do since they need larger inputs of money to fund and expand thier operations whereas gpu miners tend to hold at least some of what they mine.

the dumping depresses price growth outside of news and organic rises to to
adoption amd development updates

time will tell
alex-nn

Activity: 462
Merit: 104

In Binance we trust!

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 10:28:02 AM

Maybe ASIC manufacturer will pump up price of coin to sell their ASICs quickly. So hold for pump and sell on highs

► HackenAI ◄ ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► HackenAI ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Facebook|Twitter|Medium|Reddit|Telegram|Whitepaper
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: