Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:32:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what wallet to use?  (Read 526 times)
blo8i (OP)

Activity: 960
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 07:30:30 PM

i knwo this question might be stupid or what not, but i have to ask.

i want to store a x amount of bitcoins on my wallet, and hide it from myself. so i was thinking about some options.

1. Download the standard "BItocin-Qt" wallet on a clean PC, transfer the wallet to a USB and save a wallet address that i can use to deposit from my main PC.
and in 4years plug in my USB and use the wallet i transfered to it?

2. Download a wallet app for a Cheap tablet or smartphone and only use it for that, save a deposit address. and use the tablet/smartphone as a more portable wallet when the time comes.

so my questions is, if i go with the smartphone app solution, can i rist that the app gets "out of date" or can the developer do something wrong, so i cant use my coins in 4 years?

what would you do?

i don't like the whole paperwallet idea.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 07:36:25 PM

i don't like the whole paperwallet idea.
why not? a paper wallet never goes out of date Smiley

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
blo8i (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

i just dont like the idea of that you need to redeem your coins before each use.
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 09:40:52 PM

i just dont like the idea of that you need to redeem your coins before each use.

A lot of times I think the same thing, but we have to think of Bitcoin in the long term.

RoxxR

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 09:52:13 PM

What? You actually to do that for any payment, paper wallet or not.
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:44:17 PM

The point of a paper backup is that you can quickly verify that it is still good. If you can read it, you can access the coins.

This is not that easy with digital media. How can you be sure that you can still read the data after long periods of time?
blo8i (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:54:06 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2013, 02:11:16 PM by blo8i

The point of a paper backup is that you can quickly verify that it is still good. If you can read it, you can access the coins.

This is not that easy with digital media. How can you be sure that you can still read the data after long periods of time?

i can see your point, i might have to reconsider

Should i use the "brain wallet" or just the random??? what would be the safest?
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:12:15 PM

i can see your point, i might have to reconsider

Some more explanation here: https://bitcoinarmory.com/about/armory-backups-are-forever/

If you don't like Armory (because it needs the full blockchain), I bet Electrum (light client) can do something similar. I just happen to know the links for Armory.

Also make sure you know how to restore your wallet from the paper backup. Some nice writeup on that topic here (https://bitcoinarmory.com/about/using-our-wallet/) in the "I'm Scared" section.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: