Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:40:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safer to enforce strong password policies or just strongly suggest them?  (Read 692 times)
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:26:10 AM

I would think strongly suggesting people to follow strong password policies without hardcoding the policy and letting people use any password they want would be more secure, since if you enforce the policy you tell potential attackers they can skip thousands of combos (say, if you don't allow less than 20 chars, the attacker won't need to try any of the thousand passwords with less than 20 chars; if you demand there always must be at least one low case, one high case, one digit and one symbol, the attacker won't have to try any of the thousands of passwords that don't got at least one of each and so on)

What do you think?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silverchair

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 07:32:06 AM

Thumbs up.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: