Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 11:18:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain growing exponentially?  (Read 3430 times)
cimine (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:31:36 AM

Is it me or is the block chain growing exponentially?  It seems like in the last month to six weeks it has gone from ~13 GB to over 15 GB.  13% growth for 3 or 4% of its life?   How long before it's 100 GB?  a year?
jellies

Activity: 33

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:40:05 AM

You don't have to speculate.

All time:

https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

one year:

https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

On a one year basis looks fairly linear.
On an all time basis you can see some exponential growth.

It is almost entirely driven by this graph:

https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-block-size?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

which is the average block size. More transactions per minute, larger average block size.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:47:36 AM

damn from 4GB to 13GB in less than a year.. seems like a solution needs to be drawn up relatively soon. by this time next year, that number could easily be 30GB.
btcprice

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:57:30 AM

damn from 4GB to 13GB in less than a year.. seems like a solution needs to be drawn up relatively soon. by this time next year, that number could easily be 30GB.

There is a solution. It's called quark coin.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:30:24 AM

A modest expenditure really...
https://www.bitcoinstore.com/fantom-greendrive-2-tb-external-hard-drive-1036078.html

beetcoin

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:45:01 AM

https://www.bitcoinstore.com/fantom-greendrive-2-tb-external-hard-drive-1036078.html

it keeps growing exponentially though. in 5 years that 2 TB hard drive might not be enough. and if you had newcomers wanting to download the blockchain? that would take... a very very long time. the cost in the electricity bill in leaving the computer on would be killer.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:08:14 AM

Why you people are saying that the size is growing exponentially?

Looking at the chart, the line looks more linear than logarithmic.

https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

In Dec 2012, the size was around 3.5 GB, which has increased to 8 GB in July 2013 (5.5GB or 130%).

The current size is 11.8 GB, which represents an increase of 3.8 GB or just 48%.

If the increase was exponential, then the increase could have been like this:

3.5 GB ==> 8 GB ==> 18.3 GB

(I am just a noob, so pardon me if there is anything silly in what I said).
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:13:57 AM

it keeps growing exponentially though. in 5 years that 2 TB hard drive might not be enough. and if you had newcomers wanting to download the blockchain? that would take... a very very long time. the cost in the electricity bill in leaving the computer on would be killer.
Perhaps a service that sells the blockchain preloaded on a drive will be a success then.

Martijnvdc

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:23:25 AM

Can't the blockchain be compressed?
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:46:20 AM

Why you people are saying that the size is growing exponentially?
Looking at the chart, the line looks more linear than logarithmic.

Even if it were 'linear' - it would still be exponential. A linear line is still 'exponential' - its just that the exponent is '1'.  Even a dead flat late with 'no growth' is 'exponential growth'. 

'logarithmic' - that's a whole other can of worms.

Either way, the blockchain is still very small compared to cheap drives to store it on. Once it gets up to 2Tb - I am going to start to worry. 

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 09:47:58 AM

Please read the Bitcoin white paper before acting like this has not been considered from the beginning.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:55:27 AM

Either way, the blockchain is still very small compared to cheap drives to store it on. Once it gets up to 2Tb - I am going to start to worry. 

From the bloackchain.info chart, I assume that the size is increasing at a rate of <10 GB per year. So I don't think it'll reach the 2 TB size anytime soon.
cimine (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:00:27 AM

That's all good and well for someone operating in a business / server environment but for the average user: Hey want to use bitcoin?  OK:

1.) Go buy a 2 TB hard drive

2.) Install

3.) Download bitcoin and configure it to use this secondary drive.

4.) Let it run for a month to download and process the block chain

5.) Enjoy!

It's really unrealistic.

P.S. To the guy that said it's only 11 GB...  mine is over 15 GB fore my bitcoin data dir.  If it's only 11 where is my extra 4 GB coming from?  I don't have one billion addresses in my address book or addresses of my own.  My specific user data cannot be more than a few kilobytes.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 10:14:04 AM

That's all good and well for someone operating in a business / server environment but for the average user: Hey want to use bitcoin?  OK:

1.) Go buy a 2 TB hard drive

2.) Install

3.) Download bitcoin and configure it to use this secondary drive.

4.) Let it run for a month to download and process the block chain

5.) Enjoy!

It's really unrealistic.

P.S. To the guy that said it's only 11 GB...  mine is over 15 GB fore my bitcoin data dir.  If it's only 11 where is my extra 4 GB coming from?  I don't have one billion addresses in my address book or addresses of my own.  My specific user data cannot be more than a few kilobytes.

Want to use bitcoin? OK:

Download vanitygen.exe

./vanitygen.exe 1CIMINE
output:
public key: 1CIMINE23HssO34H9FjsduFq3HapP32jLjfi3
private key 5J39H40h48hwh2H3gJ30wdfFkh23biedfhFksdhFaAb

Send Bitcoin to public key.

When you need to spend, import keys to blockchain.info and send them. Generate new keys. Send remaining BTC to new public key. Keep in cold storage. (or keep a small amount for spending at an online wallet, the rest in cold storage)

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:29:46 AM

There is a solution. It's called quark coin.

Google quark coin , first result:
"At Least 54 Bitcoin Clones Have Been Created Since April"
So , what does it do , have Kermit jumping up and down and reducing the blockchain?

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
canada

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:32:45 AM

Want to use bitcoin? OK:

Download vanitygen.exe

./vanitygen.exe 1CIMINE
output:

When you need to spend, import keys to blockchain.info and send them. Generate new keys. Send remaining BTC to new public key. Keep in cold storage. (or keep a small amount for spending at an online wallet, the rest in cold storage)

hey Elwar - I was wondering about this yesterday. Whats the probability that the vanitygen would generate an already existing address? Set up a farm to run these programs, generate addresses and check their balances?
techstorm2

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:38:43 AM

Sorry for sounding dumb!,  Huh or if ive not understood this, BUT, how does your average joe with a phone and wallet handle this, does the phone wallet download the whole blockchain, all 13Gb of it?

if so this is surely unsustainable as it grows.

Huh

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
XBBlade

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:42:54 AM

Sorry for sounding dumb!,  Huh or if ive not understood this, BUT, how does your average joe with a phone and wallet handle this, does the phone wallet download the whole blockchain, all 13Gb of it?

Huh

No it doens't
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:04:53 AM

Sorry for sounding dumb!,  Huh or if ive not understood this, BUT, how does your average joe with a phone and wallet handle this, does the phone wallet download the whole blockchain, all 13Gb of it?

Huh

There are plenty of light-weight clients that don't download the entire blockchain but instead rely on other nodes for transaction-information. These exist for both desktop and mobile platforms.
cimine (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:49:49 PM

Want to use bitcoin? OK:

Download vanitygen.exe

./vanitygen.exe 1CIMINE
output:

That sounds great but there must be some risks associated with this otherwise everybody would do this...Huh
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: