Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:16:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: encrypted paper wallets?  (Read 749 times)
El Cabron (OP)
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:39:45 AM

has this been done yet?

if not ETA?

thanks

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jingos

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:31:12 AM

I don't think it will happen because the point of paper backups is that you just have to remember where it is and you can recover your wallet. You could however print to PDF and then do what you want with it.
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:37:44 AM

This works really well.

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:02:07 PM

There is a "SecurePrint" option, which allows you to memorize another string on the screen, which would not be printed and must be input or the recovery could not be done.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
oakpacific

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:59:28 PM

Oh... thought he was going to add support for this.

Am i crazy?

Read my post, there is no difference between what you propose and what is already there.

server
Legendary

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:15:16 PM

Can i make my own string?

Nope, I believe it's an 11 pos pw

server
Legendary

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:47:57 PM

Invest in curing alzheimer and korsakov Wink

oakpacific

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:02:25 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 01:42:44 AM by oakpacific

yeah, that wont work. esp if i have more than one and want to hold them over 20 years :/

1. Collect all these strings together into a piece of text;
2. Encrypt it offline with a proper tool and a key of your own choice;
3. Print the ciphertext, then store the paper copy somewhere.

Not sure if it would work for you.

etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 06:34:26 AM

Use the fragmented backups in the new version (0.90-beta).  They were created to provide users with the ability to balance physical security and redundancy without the high-risk of permanent coin-loss associated with brainwallets (which is what you have if your backup requires information only contained in your brain to be useful).

Instead of a single backup (fragment 1) with a password in your head (fragment 2), simply make a 2-of-2 backup and store them separately.  Or make 2-of-3 to add some redundancy so loss of one fragment doesn't destroy the entire wallet.

For M-of-N, M is the "security level":  how many separate pieces/places/systems an attacker needs to compromise to take the wallet.  N is the redundancy (well, N-M)... how many pieces can get destroyed/lost and the backup is still useful.  Calibrate as needed -- you can go up to 5-of-6 in the standard interface, 8-of-12 if you switch to expert mode.   You can get creative, like creating 4-of-8, and "priveleged holders" can have two fragments, and less-secure holders can have 1 fragment.  For instance, each of two safe-deposit boxes might hold two fragments, but you and each of three family members might just keep one each in your house laying around.  Etc.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 05:11:37 PM

This is not what i was aski g about but cool to know.

I more or less made my own in the past by hand.

Thanks

I know that you were asking about encrypted paper backups, and this is my standard response to that topic.  Most people want physical security of their backups when they make that request, so I have provided a mechanism for improving physical security (through fragmenting).

I have no plans to implement user-input encryption strings into the backup system.   Fragmented backups are what I implemented instead,  and I encourage you explore whether they meet you needs, since they do for most users.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: