Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:56:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which operating system will bitcoin work on best?  (Read 3725 times)
granrojo (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 10:32:13 AM

I have just upgraded my shared hosting account to a VPS, mainly so that I could experiment with the bitcoin deamon. However, after attempting to run bitcoind, I get the error:

./bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./bitcoind)
./bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./bitcoind)

Searching these forums and google it appears that the version of bitcoin downloaded from bitcoin.org is not compatible with my operating system without editing the source? This, I'm afraid is probably beyond me at this point.

My hosting company offers several different operating systems (I currently have their default which is Centos 5), so I figure it's probably best for me to just ask them to change me over to another. Their options are: 

Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 8.10
Debian 4
Debian 5
Fedora 9
Centos (Redhat Enterprise) 5

Can someone make a recommendation as to which one bitcoin is likely to install on 'out of the box'?

I don't know the differences between them, so I think I just want the most common one, that way when I am troubleshooting the advice I can find on Google will more likely be relevant.

Any help / advice is appreciated.

Thanks
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 10:49:30 AM

Looks to me like you are just missing some C/C++ libraries. Probably you can easily download them, but I am not a C programmer so not sure.
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 10:55:21 AM

Your glibc is not compatible with glibc used for building the binary,

It's best if you compile bitcoin from the source. It is rather straightforward. Follow the instructions from build-unix.txt.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2011, 08:40:08 PM

I have never had problems using the binaries from sourceforge with ubuntu (9.10, 10.04, 10.10)

I would recommend Ubuntu 8.10 or just compile it from source on your preferred OS.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2011, 09:01:20 PM

The linux binaries are built on Ubuntu 9.04; that's the earliest ubuntu that has all the required dependencies.

Ubuntu and Debian are kissing cousins; Debian 5 would be a good choice if they don't have an Ubuntu that's more recent than 8.10.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
granrojo (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 10:57:12 AM

Thanks, I shall try Debian 5.

I tried looking at the instructions in build-unix.txt, but unless these things work perfectly step by step first time, I find it very difficult to know what to do differently. This is my first time using any command line system, so I am still learning - slowly, but will get there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: