Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:21:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another wallet.dat question  (Read 841 times)
SMOKEU (OP)

Activity: 495
Merit: 10

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 07:52:21 AM

I know that by default the wallet.dat is stored in C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\BitCoin

To secure this wallet, do I remove the wallet.dat (eg. ctrl + x the file) away from C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\BitCoin and then put it in an encrypted folder on multiple HDs to prevent theft?
If I do this then do I copy the wallet.dat back into the default folder to add BTC to the wallet, then remove the wallet again and encrypt the updated version?

So basically if I open the Bitcoin app, since there is no wallet.dat will it just show up as having 0 BTC unless I manually copy the wallet.dat back over to the default directory?

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ffuentes

Activity: 70

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 07:55:56 AM

I know that by default the wallet.dat is stored in C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\BitCoin

To secure this wallet, do I remove the wallet.dat (eg. ctrl + x the file) away from C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\BitCoin and then put it in an encrypted folder on multiple HDs to prevent theft?
If I do this then do I copy the wallet.dat back into the default folder to add BTC to the wallet, then remove the wallet again and encrypt the updated version?

So basically if I open the Bitcoin app, since there is no wallet.dat will it just show up as having 0 BTC unless I manually copy the wallet.dat back over to the default directory?

... yes. ¿?

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address
gressen

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 10:47:28 AM

You may want to consider secure wiping the file instead of just deleting it. Also you don't need to open your wallet if you send coins to it, they will reach it even if it is stashed away in a safe box.
SMOKEU (OP)

Activity: 495

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:44:29 AM

What I've just done is downloaded and installed TrueCrypt, then I moved the wallet.dat into the encrypted folder (which is mounted as a virtual drive). Then I unmounted the virtual drive meaning it can't be accessed again without a password.

After I did that I opened up the Bitcoin client and it made a new wallet.dat which didn't have any of my coins in it. I then accessed the encrypted folder and copied the wallet.dat into it to test it and my BTC balance was restored along with my bitcoin address. Is simply moving the file to an encrypted volume safer than deleting it?

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
gressen

Activity: 24

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:08:36 PM

Moving and deleting both leave a chance for undeleting. You may want to copy the file to your secure drive and then wipe the original with some secure delete tool that will delete it and then overwrite that location on disk with new bits. This way the file can no longer be undeleted.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:11:18 PM

Just whatever you do, before you start securely wiping anything, test the backup.

rbc2012

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 04:01:51 PM

This is a good open source Windows program for securely erasing files.

http://eraser.heidi.ie

Note: No secure/wipe/erase program will work on SSDs (Solid State Drives).
metacontent

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 04:30:06 PM

Thanks, I was looking for something like this.
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 04:43:45 PM

Bitcoin can't be running when you back up your wallet.
My wallet ultimately goes offline in an encrypted rar with recovery record and 17 char passphrase that is a pattern on the keyboard.
and no it isn't the the code for  Contra
guci22

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 10:02:41 PM

This would work!
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 12:36:43 AM

If you need certain erasure from a SSD, use a drill press.  Bonus points if you can convince the company to issue a RMA number for a drilled flash drive.

Bitcoin can't be running when you back up your wallet.
My wallet ultimately goes offline in an encrypted rar with recovery record and 17 char passphrase that is a pattern on the keyboard.
and no it isn't the the code for  Contra

The latest version has a command that backs up the wallet without stopping the client.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: