Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:09:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a Mentor  (Read 816 times)
SilverandBitcoins (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:52:49 AM

I think I need a cryptocurrency mentor...it seems I always have so many questions and so much to learn.  I worry a lot about security and hacking.  My home computer has Windows XP and my laptop has Windows 7.  Do these work well with exchanges and crypto currency wallets?  I use Google Chrome as a browser on both computers - I thought I had heard someone say that Chrome has some flaws that can put me in danger (with key loggers?)  Is there a better, more secure browser?  What else can you recommend?  Regular Windows updates?  Also, can I use BTC-E to exchange small amounts of crypto currencies inexpensively?  I live in the U.S. and heard I cannot convert to dollars at BTC-E.  Thanks in advance.

Cause, I aint proud - BTC: 1DyXSR8nsB56yhTUhR5HMKLzB6UpytiWnK
joeroxor

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:00:55 AM

Windows works if you are guarded well. Use a combination of Avast! Free, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Sophos.

If you have enough knowledge with computers, I would recommend using Linux.

Chrome is as good as any browser as far as I know, it can be a bit slower with certain markets like cryptsy which is undergoing a lot of server stress.

Yes, always keep your windows up to date.

BTE-e is limited to certain cryptocurrencies, if you want to day trade and make fast profits I would recommend a site that has more options, like cryptsy.

You can convert your BTC to USD with BTC-e, most exchanges are planning to implement this feature as well.

Social Media & PR @ BitOrca | Contact: joe.r0x0r@gmail.com | Twitter | Wallet Addresses
Sell/Buy Bitcoin code! @ BitOrcaOrcaBlog | Best Bitcoin Tool Competiton!
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:05:05 AM

I think I need a cryptocurrency mentor...
This is another version of "Please, do scam me!".
Just ask questions as they pop, we'll answer them.
But don't trust any random guy you meet here to become your "mentor".

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
joeroxor

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:06:57 AM

I think I need a cryptocurrency mentor...
This is another version of "Please, do scam me!".
Just ask questions as they pop, we'll answer them.
But don't trust any random guy you meet here to become your "mentor".

Solid advice ^^

There are a lot of people who want to take advantage of you, I almost got caught up with that virus wallet scam from a couple weeks ago.

Social Media & PR @ BitOrca | Contact: joe.r0x0r@gmail.com | Twitter | Wallet Addresses
Sell/Buy Bitcoin code! @ BitOrcaOrcaBlog | Best Bitcoin Tool Competiton!
SilverandBitcoins (OP)

Activity: 187

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:07:19 AM

I am the original poster.  Point taken about scammers.  I haven't been too active on the board in the past several months and forgot about some of the scamming potential.  I found a paper backup of an online wallet I've had since earlier this year.  It's from Strongcoin.com - I never kept much in it because I've heard online wallets are not as secure, but this one has actually served me well...in fact the first bitcoin I ever received was sent to it.  The paper has the public address, the private encrypted key and something called the checksum.  What is a checksum?  Is strongcoin pretty reputable for an online wallet and are any others reliable and trustworthy?  Also,  I back up the .doc file for client wallets - it doesn't make any difference if you re-name the file, does it?  I back them up to a removable thumb-drive.  Finally, Is it bad to have the BTC, LTC , PPC and Namecoin clients installed on the same computer? Thanks for all your help.

Cause, I aint proud - BTC: 1DyXSR8nsB56yhTUhR5HMKLzB6UpytiWnK
Sparky_eMunie

Activity: 147

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:56:21 PM

You are always in danger of being hacked or scammed, no matter which software you use. Just make sure to use long passwords, and not use software from unknown sources. Chrome is currently the most secure browser.

Radix - just imagine - radix.global
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:01:25 AM

I will be your mentor and teach you the only lesson you need to know and only in one sentence.

"Learn how to learn, It is the only way to acquire untainted knowledge. The only way to crave more knowledge when others think they have plenty"

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: