Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:20:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone school me on wallets?  (Read 4307 times)
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:20:54 AM

you can find more FAQ @ the Homepage

Your website still seems to be a more-or-less direct copy ("Why should I use CarbonWallet ?" has been changed to "Why should You use KryptoWallet ?", etc) of Carbon Wallet's (copyrighted) website: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=504342.msg5565839#msg5565839. I have to be honest, I totally understand that your fork can be run offline, and I've also had a quick look at the source code and I'm not seeing any obvious red-flags - but copying someone's copyrighted website word for word is itself a red-flag - the moreso because the website you've copied is the website for the original app you've forked.

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
presidentcoin

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Any store can buy, sell, and accept Crypto

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:44:49 AM

you can find more FAQ @ the Homepage

Your website still seems to be a more-or-less direct copy ("Why should I use CarbonWallet ?" has been changed to "Why should You use KryptoWallet ?", etc) of Carbon Wallet's (copyrighted) website: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=504342.msg5565839#msg5565839. I have to be honest, I totally understand that your fork can be run offline, and I've also had a quick look at the source code and I'm not seeing any obvious red-flags - but copying someone's copyrighted website word for word is itself a red-flag - the moreso because the website you've copied is the website for the original app you've forked.

Yes i had forked it but i had added more features like a background feature and 256bit encryption. the Source on GitHub is not the newest. I had forgot to update it. And it's not copied when i update the new Source you can see that i only had used the Core of the Website.

________Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency________
█████████ ██ ███ ██      PUNDI X     ██ ███ ██ █████████
Whitepaper      Twitter      Facebook      Telegram      Medium      Youtube
LMGTFY

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:51:14 AM

Yes i had forked it but i had added more features like a background feature and 256bit encryption. the Source on GitHub is not the newest. I had forgot to update it. And it's not copied when i update the new Source you can see that i only had used the Core of the Website.

yes, I understand that you forked it - that's fine, and that's why I differentiated between the fork of the app, and the website (you'll recall that I mentioned that the website was copyrighted). It's the website you've copied verbatim:

http://carbonwallet.com/
https://kryptowallet.org/

presidentcoin

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 11:45:29 AM

I'm not ready with the design, but you can see that we look more like coinbase.com I mean the blue style. So my page has a Copyright the text we also want to change. Thats the reason we use a Copyright. In the license you can see we change the SourceCode so that the Code is different that I can add my Copyright and remove his, but I haven't in the LICENSE file (when I update on GitHub) you can see that I say based on carbonwallet.com. He uses 128bit and I use 128and256bit thats the main difference.  And the main reason to add my Copyright. And I use a one single file for Bitcoind he more than 8.

LMGTFY

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

I'm not ready with the design, but you can see that we look more like coinbase.com I mean the blue style. So my page has a Copyright the text we also want to change. Thats the reason we use a Copyright. In the license you can see we change the SourceCode so that the Code is different that I can add my Copyright and remove his, but I haven't in the LICENSE file (when I update on GitHub) you can see that I say based on carbonwallet.com. He uses 128bit and I use 128and256bit thats the main difference.  And the main reason to add my Copyright. And I use a one single file for Bitcoind he more than 8.

...none of which has anything to do with you copying the original, copyrighted, text verbatim. If you're intending to change it, change it before putting it online.

However, since you mention the license, Carbon Wallet is licensed (https://github.com/carbonwallet/carbonwallet.github.io/blob/master/README.md) using CDDL 1.0 (http://opensource.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0) which requires attribution - you need to fix that pronto.

You may not remove or alter any copyright, patent or trademark notices contained within the Covered Software, or any notices of licensing or any descriptive text giving attribution to any Contributor or the Initial Developer.

You'd probably find it easier to reinstate the link to GitHub (https://github.com/newtimes/wallet) rather than mess around with a downloadable zip which is out of sync with the source code (and, again, raises a red flag - whatever your motivation, it looks like you're trying to obfuscate the link to GitHub and hence to the original app).

I'm also unclear how your fork is expected to function as an offline wallet: Carbon Wallet uses static HTML files; yours uses PHP scripts. In order to run your fork offline I'd need to be running an app server (like Apache). This isn't impossible, but it raises the barrier to entry significantly - with Carbon Wallet and other offline wallets I can simply "run" the (static) HTML and Javascript in my browser - no server needed.

presidentcoin

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 12:14:59 PM

I had removed my GitHub page until I update the Source. I will do my own text. What is a red flag and how to do this

LMGTFY

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 12:19:37 PM

I had removed my GitHub page until I update the Source. I will do my own text. What is a red flag and how to do this

A "red flag" is a warning sign - an indication that there may be a problem.

presidentcoin

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:05:20 PM

@LMGTF is it now better with the Copyright. In 1h i will push it back at GitHub

overunity

Activity: 198

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:45:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1uefzJJ6nM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=872eSnlKUeg
kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 06:15:59 PM

Also kinda curious. So you make a paper wallet offline, how does the network even know it exists? I mean, doesn't a part of the paper wallet process need to happen online, so that the wallet gets a parking spot on the Blockchain?
In outline:
When making a paper wallet, you generate a private key and address (and print them out).  Then you communicate that info to the block chain by sending btc into the address.
If you don't send money to the address, the blockchain will never even know you made and printed out a paper wallet.  For all practical purposes, the wallet/address you generated doesn't exist until you put money in it.
But of course,  you are going to put money in it.  That's when the magic happens.
BruceFenton

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 07:47:56 PM

I need someone to print me up a bunch of them.

Smiley

(I love that joke)
J_Dubbs (OP)

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:34:52 PM

Step 1 generate wallet on brand new OS that dosnt have any malware or anything.

Step 2 encrypt Wallet with strong passphrase

Step 3 send coins to new wallet

Step 4 take wallet.dat file and encrypt that using trucrypt (youll use another passphrase to lock this)

Step 5 upload encrypted wallet.dat to a cloud service like google drive and or external hard drives.

this is how I do it

Can't you export the wallet.dat file from Blockchain.info? I'd think do that and then jump to your step #4-5, maybe??

Okay someone pointlessly jacked this thread about some website and didn't really answer me. My question above. Is this better or is using a paper wallet website better? How about Armory?

Ultimately it's looking like I will have 3 wallets, 2 online and 1 offline but on a computer connected to the internet, and several small paper ones, mainly because spreading balances is the only "easy" security I can dream up right now.
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:43:16 PM

Appreciate the links but it actually illustrates the problem. The first video is 26 minutes, and the second is 13, that's 40 minutes of video content to cover this wallet topic? Too much for me right now.

I'm in the middle of finals, work tomorrow, need to get documents sent out tonight for a professional obligation. When I do get a week off between classes, and life will just be full time work, I plan to dump a bunch of miners on eBay and build a new rig. I can invest time into mining, but this wallet stuff seems like it should be so much easier! I mean, is it not incredibly paranoid about the offline stuff with a freshly installed OS? Seems like overkill, but maybe I'm too trusting. I know the more valuable BTC becomes the more hackers will attack wallets, hoping for an easy and affordable solution to come out sometime soon. I just can't see a clear winner from the suggestions, something like this should be so much easier.
presidentcoin

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:48:28 PM

Step 1 generate wallet on brand new OS that dosnt have any malware or anything.

Step 2 encrypt Wallet with strong passphrase

Step 3 send coins to new wallet

Step 4 take wallet.dat file and encrypt that using trucrypt (youll use another passphrase to lock this)

Step 5 upload encrypted wallet.dat to a cloud service like google drive and or external hard drives.

this is how I do it

Can't you export the wallet.dat file from Blockchain.info? I'd think do that and then jump to your step #4-5, maybe??

Okay someone pointlessly jacked this thread about some website and didn't really answer me. My question above. Is this better or is using a paper wallet website better? How about Armory?

Ultimately it's looking like I will have 3 wallets, 2 online and 1 offline but on a computer connected to the internet, and several small paper ones, mainly because spreading balances is the only "easy" security I can dream up right now.

You can't say that a Paper Wallet is better, but you can say it's more secure. Form me Armory is bullshit you still need to download Bitcoind. You can use a Paper Wallet for the Big Money and a Online Wallet like blockchain.info, coinbase.com for you normal Wallet. And maby kryptowallet.org or carbonwallet.com as a hybrid

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:50:56 PM

I am still new to bitcoins. I get the impression that online wallets are no good, but how do you spend the bitcoins if they are on these paper wallets?
presidentcoin

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 09:00:22 PM

A paper Wallet is more like a safe. You don't spend money what is in a safe you only had it secure.

So if you want a hybrid you can use kryptowallet.org with 128and256bit encryption or carbonwallet.com with a 128bit encryption. You can access your Bitcoin over the Internet, but had the security like a Paper Wallet. I use my Wallet kryptowallet.org, because we use 2 encryptions. We and carbonwallet.com save the Bitcoin in you Browser Cache.

If you use a Paper Wallet you can add the Privat Key @ a Wallet and than you have access to your BTC, but than it's a Online Wallet

CoinRocka

Activity: 249

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 09:41:57 PM

I am still new to bitcoins. I get the impression that online wallets are no good, but how do you spend the bitcoins if they are on these paper wallets?

Armory has two types of wallets:

Cold or "paper" wallet for the application running on a non-networked machine.

Hot "watch-only" wallet for the app on a networked machine.

To spend bitcoin you create a transaction on the hot client and save to usb, detach and attach to the cold client where you sign the transaction, unplug and then attach back to the hot wallet to send.
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 11:43:26 PM

Armory has two types of wallets:

Cold or "paper" wallet for the application running on a non-networked machine.

Hot "watch-only" wallet for the app on a networked machine.

To spend bitcoin you create a transaction on the hot client and save to usb, detach and attach to the cold client where you sign the transaction, unplug and then attach back to the hot wallet to send.

So, I mean if I use the Armory paper thing do I really need to unplug my PC from the internet or is that kinda overkill?
RomertL

Activity: 470

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:50:15 PM

I agree with people on this thread complaining it's too much work storing btc safely. Btc will not get mainstream adoption until this issue is solved. Trying to imagine my mother doing this, I had to help her "installing" a dvd-player to her tv the other day... I've just had my btc on a exchange-site so far since I'm a bit lazy, but after the Gox-fiasco I realised I had to do something about that.

Google Authenticator is used to log in to view the balance.  There is an option to set a second password for outgoing transaction, which I recommend.  QT somewhat includes this feature--you use the same password to open the wallet and for outgoing transfers.

Blockchain does have options for paper wallet and "offline transactions".  But again I don't fully understand these yet and don't want coins to vanish.

Regulatory freezing is a real concern.  Have at least one backup of the wallet file somewhere in case blockchain were to be shut down by feds somewhere.  Then you can import a blockchain wallet into MultiBit, or a QT wallet into QT running on another computer. 

Because blockchain allows backing up of the wallet, there is a safeguard against the site freezing.  Other sites such as exchanges (Coinbase, bitstamp, Mt. Gox), if shut down/blocked/frozen, will have your coins held captive.

Since I don't have that many btc at the moment I figure I'll just go the Blockchain route. But can somebody confirm the last statement? Can I back up my wallet on a couple of usb:s and store them on different locations, and IF Blockchain gets shut down/blocked/frozen by gvt, are my coins safe? 

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:19:52 PM

So, I mean if I use the Armory paper thing do I really need to unplug my PC from the internet or is that kinda overkill?
It's safer to have two machines, one of which is never connected. Having one machine and unplugging it occasionally wouldn't add much safety.

Having a second, unconnected computer makes it harder for that computer ever to be infected by a keylogger; and if it is, it makes it harder for the hackers to get any information out. Whether this is over-kill depends on how much bitcoin you have. Arguably, you shouldn't hold more than you can afford to lose, in which case you may not need to bother with extreme precautions. Some people are betting big on bitcoin, and for them spending some money on a cheap notepad or similar, plus the hassle of ferrying a USB stick between devices, is worth the security.

(I've heard of people having a single PC with a dual boot to a second O/S, where the second O/S is offline. I guess that's an improvement over a single connected wallet, but without an actual air-gap I'd be concerned that the offline O/S would use the shared hard disk to communicate key-logger information to the bad guys.)

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: