Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:33:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monty Hall and Let's Make A Deal problem  (Read 4647 times)
ronaldmaustin (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 11:21:18 AM

You are on the TV show Lets Make a Deal.  There are 1000 Bitcoins that Monty has placed behind one of three doors.  He lets you choose a door.  Then he opens one of the other two doors that he knows does not have the prize behind it.  Now, he asks you whether you want to switch doors or keep the door you first chose.  Statistically, should you stick with your initial choice, or switch?

Does anyone see the correlation between this scenario and Bitcoins?
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2011, 11:30:23 AM

You should switch, your first choice is a one in 3 choice, when he removes one of the doors it turns into a one in 2 choice, greater odds so you should switch.

Many people would say there is no differencebut the odds are better ifyou switch.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 11:37:17 AM

Nefario is correct, but it is amazing the number of intelligent people who do not understand/accept this concept!
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 11:46:26 AM

Then he opens one of the other two doors that he knows does not have the prize behind it.
Monty cannot open the door you selected, so his action cannot reveal any further information about what's behind that door. But his action does narrow down the options for the other doors, so you should always switch.

Um, no. Do enlighten us please.
ronaldmaustin (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 11:50:58 AM

Then he opens one of the other two doors that he knows does not have the prize behind it.
Monty cannot open the door you selected, so his action cannot reveal any further information about what's behind that door. But his action does narrow down the options for the other doors, so you should always switch.
Um, no. Do enlighten us please.

So you agree with the prior two posters then as to the odds?
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2011, 11:55:20 AM

You are on the TV show Lets Make a Deal.  There are 1000 Bitcoins that Monty has placed behind one of three doors.  He lets you choose a door.  Then he opens one of the other two doors that he knows does not have the prize behind it.  Now, he asks you whether you want to switch doors or keep the door you first chose.  Statistically, should you stick with your initial choice, or switch?

Is it that, like Monty, many people who just gave away 1000 Bitcoins will be feeling pretty foolish soon?  Just joking you people that applies to, those early trades were an important part of building the bitcoin economy, as are trades today.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
mpkomara

Activity: 183

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 11:57:53 AM

blockexplorer could probably help you track down which door the bitcoins were behind.
ronaldmaustin (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 11:59:13 AM

No, it is simply that the odds do not increase from 1 in 3 to 1 in 2.  They increase from 1 in 3 to 2 in 3.  You double your chances by switching, instead of the mere 50 percent increase that everyone supposes.  Now look at the increase in difficulty of the Bitcoin generation and apply that.
ronaldmaustin (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:04:24 PM

Let me explain it in a way you all may understand it.  It's as if Satoshi has a really long straw, all the way from Japan.  Satoshi drinks YOUR milkshake.
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:10:56 PM

So you agree with the prior two posters then as to the odds?
No, I just agree that you should always switch.

Let's label the box that you choose "A", and label the others "B" and "C".

There are three possibilities:

1. There is a one-in-three chance that the coins are behind "A". In this case, it makes no difference which door Monty opens. You will win by sticking with "A", and lose by switching.

2. There is a one-in-three chance that the coins are behind "B". In this case, Monty must open door "C". You will lose by sticking with "A", and win by switching.

3. There is a one-in-three chance that the coins are behind "C". In this case, Monty must open door "B". You will lose by sticking with "A", and win by switching.

Therefore, if you stick with "A" you have a one-in-three chance of winning the coins. If you switch, you have a two-in-three chance of winning the coins.
mpkomara

Activity: 183

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:14:08 PM

Before you explain what you mean, can you provide us with a third metaphor?  Maybe use talking animals for those of us slow learners.
ronaldmaustin (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:21:00 PM

Therefore, if you stick with "A" you have a one-in-three chance of winning the coins. If you switch, you have a two-in-three chance of winning the coins.

Double like I said.  So you do agree then that Satoshi drinks your milkshake? 
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:22:07 PM

The best explanation for Monty Hall: Make the number of doors 1,000,000. You pick one of the doors and the host opens 999,998 doors that don't have the prize. Your choice: 1/1000,000, the other door: 999,999/1000,000.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:31:01 PM

So you do agree then that Satoshi drinks your milkshake?  

The best analogy I can come up with is this.

Satoshi filled his milkshake, but didn't drink yet because it tastes terrible.

We fill our milkshakes and start to drink. At first they taste terrible, but we keep drinking. Gradually our milkshakes taste better and better.

And by the time Satoshi eventually drinks his milkshake (using a MtGox dark pool straw costing $1.05) it tastes mighty sweet, thanks to everyone else.

But I find this analogy unsatisfying. Partly because it doesn't reference Monty Hall, but also because there are no flying cars in this scenario.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 02:16:30 PM

Yeesh this thread is so cryptic.  And the only message I can decipher from it is very unpleasant.  I hope clarification is forthcoming.
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 02:37:34 PM

Now look at the increase in difficulty of the Bitcoin generation and apply that.

Hmm. This is obviously supposed to be a clue.

Suppose the difficulty goes up by one-half. For example, from 20,000 to 30,000. This will cause your rate of generation to drop by one-third (e.g. from one block every 15 days to one block every 10 days). But I don't see where that leads...

Here's an interesting and perhaps non-intuitive consequence of the way generation works. If the difficulty increases, your rate of generation drops. If the increase in difficulty causes some people to drop out of generating, your rate of generation doesn't go up again. When other people drop out, it makes it take longer until the next difficulty adjustment, but you can still expect to generate the same number of coins per day until then, no matter what other people do.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 06:12:25 PM

it is amazing the number of intelligent people who do not understand/accept this concept!

I couldn't understand it, until I read:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 08:59:33 PM

Here's an interesting and perhaps non-intuitive consequence of the way generation works. If the difficulty increases, your rate of generation drops. If the increase in difficulty causes some people to drop out of generating, your rate of generation doesn't go up again. When other people drop out, it makes it take longer until the next difficulty adjustment, but you can still expect to generate the same number of coins per day until then, no matter what other people do.

Would it be possible for the clients, and thus the network, to determine that no blocks have been generated in X time, and to decrease the difficulty by Y amount?
ronaldmaustin (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 05:22:51 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2011, 10:46:43 AM by ronaldmaustin

Yeesh this thread is so cryptic.  And the only message I can decipher from it is very unpleasant.  I hope clarification is forthcoming.

Sorry, no clarification possible.  I had a few beers and was just amusing myself spewing total nonsense.  But, look at the bright side.  When you consider the time and electricity spent on this thread, Bitcoin generation does not seem such a waste of resources.  And the Milkshake analogy is adequately explained on YouTube . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQ3LXHKB34
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 05:39:04 AM

Would it be possible for the clients, and thus the network, to determine that no blocks have been generated in X time, and to decrease the difficulty by Y amount?

it is possible in theory, but there are problems as far as determining "the time", and it would require all (or majority) of clients to be upgraded to the new version.

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: