Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:16:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My buddy is getting a divorce. Can the court seize half of his bitcoins?  (Read 14300 times)
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 11:56:58 PM

Just tell the silly SOB to get a lwayer and stop wasting bandwidth.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:43:00 AM

They follow the money and see what he did with it.  If he'd mixed it at SR for example, that would be good because it could've been lost. They say he dissipated the assets.  They say, you are in contempt until you come up with $X.

In short: She whores around.  She gets to get f&$@ed by some other guy,, he gets to get f$&@ed all over again by her in court.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

What if he just said "I developed a gaming addiction and lost it all on a cryptocurrency gambling website"

Which in reality is completely possible and unproveable in the courts eyes seeing as none of the crypto gambling sites are registered with a government authority. Does this mean any married man who loses significant portion of his assets could go to jail for life for not being able to prove the means of which he lost it? Would be surprised if this was the case TBH.

If you cannot prove it and the judge is doubtful it will not stand in court

The rules of evidence are very strange in divorce court.

The person with the economic disadvantage almost always has an advantage in court

Of course and it is why you need a pre-nup or to be the one with the economic disadvantage

If written properly and executed properly a prenup can be very valuable.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:44:02 AM

They follow the money and see what he did with it.  If he'd mixed it at SR for example, that would be good because it could've been lost. They say he dissipated the assets.  They say, you are in contempt until you come up with $X.

In short: She whores around.  She gets to get f&$@ed by some other guy,, he gets to get f$&@ed all over again by her in court.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

What if he just said "I developed a gaming addiction and lost it all on a cryptocurrency gambling website"

Which in reality is completely possible and unproveable in the courts eyes seeing as none of the crypto gambling sites are registered with a government authority. Does this mean any married man who loses significant portion of his assets could go to jail for life for not being able to prove the means of which he lost it? Would be surprised if this was the case TBH.

The person with the economic disadvantage almost always has an advantage in court

Of course and it is why you need a pre-nup or to be the one with the economic disadvantage

Most prenups have clauses that say the spouse that is "worse" off will get something in the event of a divorce.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 09:08:32 AM

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

Most prenups have clauses that say the spouse that is "worse" off will get something in the event of a divorce.

It is all about knowing what you are signing for and agreeing with it

If you want to give half in case of divorce it's all good; time, effort and sacrifices need to be rewarded and it needs to be negotiated before hand

Harley997

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:42:09 PM

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

If you want to give half in case of divorce it's all good; time, effort and sacrifices need to be rewarded and it needs to be negotiated before hand

I agree, but a prenup is generally not a free lunch. The other party would likely not sign the pre nup if they received nothing.

PRIMEDICE
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 11:59:38 AM

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

I agree, but a prenup is generally not a free lunch. The other party would likely not sign the pre nup if they received nothing.

The worse off is likely to apply emotional blackmail to get a better deal : "we shouldn't plan on divorcing so we shouldn't sign a prenup" is a classic sentence of someone thinking about getting a better deal in case things go wrong

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:01:59 PM

Here is a whole article devoted to the topic.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/06/16/bitcoin-high-tech-way-hide-assets-divorce/
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:48:01 PM

if they can't even prove that he has bitcoin, how would they be able to seize his money? how would they even go about proving that he owns such and such wallet?
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:08:40 AM

if they can't even prove that he has bitcoin, how would they be able to seize his money? how would they even go about proving that he owns such and such wallet?

He would be taking a chance and committing perjury if he falsifies his asset declaration. If and when the bitcoins get linked to his name, he would be in trouble.  Smiley
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 07:39:34 AM

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

The worse off is likely to apply emotional blackmail to get a better deal : "we shouldn't plan on divorcing so we shouldn't sign a prenup" is a classic sentence of someone thinking about getting a better deal in case things go wrong

When one person is much better off then the other then this would likely not be something that would work as the reasons are too obvious that one spouse could potentially be getting married for money
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 12:49:16 PM

Hello,
In my opinion government cannot touch your BTC wallet, because it is still not stated clearly in the laws. It needs time for the judgment system to describe BTC adn all crypto and to put a hand on it. Your friend should buy a ticket and go live on some islands with that much coins in his pocket BTW
BR
Gondel
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 01:48:39 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 10:45:40 AM by picolo

Hello,
In my opinion government cannot touch your BTC wallet, because it is still not stated clearly in the laws. It needs time for the judgment system to describe BTC adn all crypto and to put a hand on it. Your friend should buy a ticket and go live on some islands with that much coins in his pocket BTW
BR
Gondel

He would be taking a chance and committing perjury if he falsifies his asset declaration. If and when the bitcoins get linked to his name, he would be in trouble.  Smiley

If you hide the money and cannot prove where it went you can be liable of it
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 01:50:22 PM

never getting married, until i find my soul mate (i'd die for her, literally).

i am here.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 01:58:20 PM

1 Lenovo with 2Gig of Ram, 300 BTC, 2.4 GHz CPU, 2TB SSD
Nice - I like that.

You probably have to provide an estimated value. Estimate wrong and you'll be fucked later for providing too low a valuation on purpose, estimate correctly and draw attention. Just leave the country and start over somewhere else. Use the Bitcoin to buy a new identity.
Harley997

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 04:48:15 PM

Hello,
BR
Gondel

The government has no way to force you to give someone your bitcoin, this is part of the Bitcoin protocol.

There are a number of things the government could do to give up your bitcoin in the event of a Judgment.

PRIMEDICE
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 04:56:21 PM

Hello,
BR
Gondel

The government has no way to force you to give someone your bitcoin, this is part of the Bitcoin protocol.

There are a number of things the government could do to give up your bitcoin in the event of a Judgment.

There's always the $5 wrench ...
Mining Cow

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 05:46:00 PM

You might have to make up a fake story if you'd really like to, but they can't really seize your Bitcoins. I'm sure they are referring to USD or whatever currency is applicable for you.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 09:24:34 PM

Hello,
BR
Gondel

LOL

There are ways that can be more more painful that the government can use then a wrench......
bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 09:26:34 PM

Well, as others have probably stated, bitcoins are considered property in the USA, so I would think that if a judge awarded 1/2 the assets, that would include bitcoin since it is an asset...
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:45:45 PM

Hello,
BR
Gondel

LOL

There are ways that can be more more painful that the government can use then a wrench......

Yes. The government will just take your freedom until you pay.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: