Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:02:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D printing service for bitcoin *FREE*  (Read 3169 times)
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 08:49:52 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 11:43:10 PM by Puppet

Printer has been upgraded to an all metal E3D hotend, allowing even better prints

Here is a small sample, printed in PLA at medium resolution (0.125mm) and medium speed, untreated:

Same object printed at low resolution (0.25mm), medium speed in ABS:

I can do any PLA print you want in one of the following colors:
- Black
- Gold (/yellowish)
- Red

And small to medium size ABS prints in
- Glow in the Dark white (glows green in the dark)
- Blue
(I dont have an enclosure yet, and I have a fine nozzle, so large ABS prints tend to warp and split. Working on a solution.)

Just in, but not tested yet:

- Taulman Nylon. Supposedly even stronger than ABS, and very flexible in thin prints. Natural white/translucent but this material can also colored with textile paint. Special color effects are possible too by dying the filament in various colors before printing.  Not tried yet.
- SoftPLA. Rubber like material, broken white.
- SmartABS. Pretty much like ABS but would be easier to print large objects with. Also white.

Pricing:
Currently im offering the service for free. You only pay for the filament (~5 euro per 100gr) and shipping from the EU.
I will not print (or at least not ship) guns, no point in asking.

FAQ
Q Why do you this?
A Because I like playing with my large toy and its idle often enough that I may as well print your designs at cost. Im also curious what kind of demand there is out there for such a service.

Q What size can you print?
I can print up to 20x20x20cm with my current printer. However, large objects in ABS are still problematic due to warping of the material. If your object is large, PLA will work better until Ive upgraded my printer.

Q Can you print any shape?
A Hmmm, not really. My printer only has 1 extruder, so I cant print washable support material. That means that objects with very steep overhangs or large "bridges" where I would have to print "in the air" can not be printed, or only with generated support material (think scaffolding) which to be honest, is a PITA to remove and you will have to do that yourself. When in doubt, just give me a link to the object, I can usually tell on sight if I need support material or not.

Q Can you paint printed objects?
Yes you can. Its recommended you use a (automotive) primer first, then acrylic paints will work fine on both ABS and PLA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Eternity

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:32:59 AM

Really nice screens
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:41:45 AM

This is a really cool and I would imagine technically challenging project

Just how technical are you? Wink

Nice job

Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:59:25 PM

This is a really cool and I would imagine technically challenging project

Just how technical are you? Wink

Nice job

Its not so hard. Its more work than I thought, but all the steps are fairly easy. The manual, well PDF, is almost comically detailed, showing 5 large photographs each time you have to solder 2 wires together. It shows you how to cut, how to strip, how to put heatshrink on, solder, and shrink. Thats like 2 or 3 pages lol. Same for putting on a bolt with some spacers. Thats easily 3 high res photos. As a result,  the manual is almost 800 pages long!

So far I only encountered one challenging step, that was to solder the SMD thermistor on the heated bed. That thing is TINY. I was happy to let my electronics freak brother do that. Other than that, it only takes basic soldering skills (literally soldering wires together). Mechanicaly its just a big mecano toy box.

Mind you, I havent finished yet, it may not work, and I still have to do the fine tuning and calibrations, so I may revise my opinion. But so far, most people should be able to build this if you take your time.
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:49:47 PM

ITS ALIVE

Not printing yet, but everything works. Its talking to the software, all the motors work, bed and extruder heating and temp sensors work, all the switches work. Didnt quite expect that from the first time Smiley

All thats left to do is calibrating it and tomorrow I may print the first parts although I still havent received 2 replacement bearings so the print quality is probably going to be lousy. Still, Im happy Smiley

Authentic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

1FRpXqj6kedknh5uNpdo8FS3U49XJPJJy1

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:29:36 PM

Looks like a great service. I think you'll get lots of customers here Cheesy
Good luck Grin

Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:31:16 PM

It needed some tweaks; I had to add a glass plate on the heated bed, because the stock bed is curved. The glass is only barely getting warm enough now, but with some tape on it, objects stick fairly well and its up and running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRRpx4qZTJw

Still needs a bit of fine tuning to eliminate occasional "blobs" of plastic, probably caused by too high extruder temperature.

Only tried PLA so far, the heated bed is probably inadequate for ABS, so Im looking in to further modifying that.

Anyway, if you have some PLA work, let me know. I got red and black spools available.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:57:12 AM

Someone else on here requested a 3D gun be printed for him/her. Will you be willing to offer your services to print such items?
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 02:47:54 AM

That looks like an awesome mecano type project! Makes me wish I were a bit better with electronics. Been wanting to convert an old Epson printer into a dtg printer but definitely ain't got the skills for that!

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:06:55 AM

Willing to print firearms and/or firearm parts? (USA)

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:32:51 AM

I have no intentions of printing or certainly not shipping guns , sorry.
I dont think a gun would work in PLA anyway, Im guessing that needs ABS.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:26:16 PM

Understood.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:01:55 AM

looks like America needs more guns ... lol
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:13:15 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2013, 11:22:45 AM by Puppet

I was doing a test print of thin overhangs. This makes the cooling fan kick in and it results in rough, unsmooth edges and web like threads. This is fully expected, and normally you would print an object like I was printing in ABS and then you smooth it with acetone.

However, what was not expected was the effect youtube image stabilization would have. Its frigging hilarious, so I thought Id let you have a laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PM_woiVquM#t=25

pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:24:12 AM

These photos look intimidating. I hope the manual is really good  Tongue

Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

These photos look intimidating. I hope the manual is really good  Tongue

Its laughably detailed, fortunately and for the most part, not hard at all. Still, assembly proved to be not without some challenges.  I had trouble with the thermistor (temperature probe). The supplied heat resistant sleeves proved inadequate and I ended up shorting two thermistors (velleman kindly provided new ones free of charge). Fixed it by using some kaplon tape.

I also didnt tighten the extruder well enough, and as a result it leaks a little bit. If I leave it printing unattended, now and then a blob of molten plastic will ruin the model. For now I just swipe the hot end clean with some ear cleaners every 20 minutes or so. In the long run, I will need to disassemble it, clean it with a blowtorch, and try again.  I cant tighten it now, because there is already plastic between the threads.
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:19:01 AM

Merry Christmas all Smiley

Ive pretty much solved all trouble with the printer, I tweaked the calibration and software settings,  its no longer leaking, Ive replaced the Z axis rod and printed a motor mount to replace the terrible stock 2 screw alu plate:

(yeah, I didnt have the right bolts and washers, so I used an excess amount of nuts and some hot glue for the microswitch Smiley )

Im quite pleased with how well it prints now. In preparation for new years eve, Ive been printing some (hopefully) flyable rockets, like this "firecracker" rocket which took 5 hours to print:

Its almost a pity its supposed to blow up Smiley
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:47:56 AM

updated OP with new info.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:50:56 AM

This is really cool. Tomorrow, everyone will have this at home.
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:51:55 AM

WOW it looks amazing! To tell ypu the truth i've never seen 3d printer yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: