Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:10:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D printing service for bitcoin *FREE*  (Read 3169 times)
nj_m715

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:09:12 AM

Very cool. I'll look for a local meet up group so I can more about these.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:23:20 AM

Awesome, It would probably be around 20cm x 20cm x 3-4cm high.  I will work on the CAD file, pretty sure I can export Inventor to STL.  Any idea of shipping cost to US?

Shipping will likely be ~$10 if its less than 350gr, $15 otherwise (uninsured, no tracking).
20x20 is pretty huge though. Depending how "massive" it will be (infill required). If it becomes a print that takes >12-24 hours to print, I do reserve the right to refuse it. To give you an idea, just download cura:
http://software.ultimaker.com/

install it with default settings (reprap, 0.4mm nozzle), and import the STL.
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:30:10 AM

Hi, do you think you could print a custom letterpress block?  I have a small hand-operated letterpress machine that I would like to make some business cards on.  The product would look something like these:

http://partsoven.com/products/old-school-meets-new-3d-printing-and-letterpress

I can make it, but whether it will be good enough is something else. For this to be useful you need very high resolution, and an extrusion printer is limited in the way it can print "2D". THink of it as writing with a fairly thick pencil: you can make accurate sketches with a thick pencil, but you cant write tiny letters. Especially not if you are not allowed to put down more than one layer of crayon on any piece of paper. Or another way to think of it, can you write the text nicely with one layer of cooked spaghetti? A blocky font might work, or something with an even line width, but frankly,  for this application you will want a laser sintering printer. Thats unfortunately hardware thats totally out of a hobbyist price range.
baddw

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:21:17 PM

Hi, do you think you could print a custom letterpress block?  I have a small hand-operated letterpress machine that I would like to make some business cards on.  The product would look something like these:

http://partsoven.com/products/old-school-meets-new-3d-printing-and-letterpress

I can make it, but whether it will be good enough is something else. For this to be useful you need very high resolution, and an extrusion printer is limited in the way it can print "2D". THink of it as writing with a fairly thick pencil: you can make accurate sketches with a thick pencil, but you cant write tiny letters. Especially not if you are not allowed to put down more than one layer of crayon on any piece of paper. Or another way to think of it, can you write the text nicely with one layer of cooked spaghetti? A blocky font might work, or something with an even line width, but frankly,  for this application you will want a laser sintering printer. Thats unfortunately hardware thats totally out of a hobbyist price range.

I see.  Well, I'll think about it and try to find out what others are using in this application.... and maybe think of something else, or a design that would look decent at low resolution.  Thank you for the explanation.  What is the effective resolution?  Or the size of the smallest 'bit' that you can extrude at once?

BTC/XCP 11596GYYq5WzVHoHTmYZg4RufxxzAGEGBX
DRK XvFhRFQwvBAmFkaii6Kafmu6oXrH4dSkVF
Eligius Payouts/CPPSRB Explained  I am not associated with Eligius in any way.  I just think that it is a good pool with a cool payment system Smiley
Sw|ft

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:28:41 PM

This is really nice indeed Smiley
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:36:24 PM

I see.  Well, I'll think about it and try to find out what others are using in this application.... and maybe think of something else, or a design that would look decent at low resolution.  Thank you for the explanation.  What is the effective resolution?  Or the size of the smallest 'bit' that you can extrude at once?

THere is no resolution equivalent in extrusion printing. I can get an accuracy of maybe a few dozen micron, a layer height of less than 100 micron, but the nozzle is 0.4mm wide. That doesnt mean I cant print thinner lines than that, because you can, if the filament is "pulled" in to thinner threads,  but it gives you an idea. Id guess that anything smaller than 10-12 pt font is not going to look good at all.
jcoin200

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:11:28 PM

If you guys are into CAD modeling check this out: http://www.123dapp.com/catch
All you do is take pictures around what you want to model, and the program creates the 3D model.  Really cool.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:30:44 PM

Can we choose the color that the item is printed in?
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:41:02 PM

Can we choose the color that the item is printed in?

Just from the ones I listed in the OP. I dont have much color atm, but I did receive some new materials I will be experimenting with once the printer rebuild is complete:

- Taulman Nylon. Supposedly even stronger than ABS, and very flexible in thin prints. This can also be colored with textile paint.
- SoftPLA. Rubber like material, broken white.
- SmartABS. Pretty much like ABS but would be easier to print large objects with. Also white.

None of these are tested, and some of them are considerably more expensive, particularly the nylon is somewhat pricey if you need large prints.

Coming soonish:

- Carbon fiber reinforced PLA.

For the record, printer is down for upgrades. Hope to be printing again in a day or two.

The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:53:50 PM

Cool! Thanks for the response. I'm considering asking you to print me a raspberry pi case but I've yet to find one online that I like.
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:06:00 PM

I would be interested in some caps for window hardware. The original manufacturer doesn't exist anymore.

What kind of model would you need? Any chance to scan an original part, or so?

bitcerto

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:59:32 PM

This is outstanding. You are a champion among men for offering this service. I hope to join you in 3D printing land someday!
Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:14:51 PM

I would be interested in some caps for window hardware. The original manufacturer doesn't exist anymore.

What kind of model would you need? Any chance to scan an original part, or so?

Id need a 3D model in STL format (or sketchup or something that can export STL, which is almost any 3D program).
Scanning, hmm, .. ive not used one yet, but what Ive seen, I wouldnt expect miracles. If its a complex piece, maybe it would help as a starting point, but someone is going to need to get his hands dirty with a 3D app either way.

All that said, Im not entirely sure what you mean by window caps?
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:52:37 PM

I'm looking for the covers for some window fittings.

Like these. but mine are smaller:

Ok, so I have to look for some 3d app, that can export STL. Thanks for the info. I'll look around for an app, so I can create a model.

Puppet (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:06:39 AM

Not every shape can be printed, at least not with my single extruder printer, or not without printing support material which can be a pita to remove. The photo of the object you posted would already be problematic.

These printers work by putting one layer on top of the previous. They can not print "in thin air". You can print overhangs, but not much more than ~45-55 degree. You can also do whats called "bridging", that is printing a short piece in thin air between two supports, but it will sag a bit and the first layers of a bridge usually look rather bad.

That cover you posted, no matter in what orientation I would rotate it, there is always either unsupported overhangs, or some serious bridging, and in places where any sagging probably means it wont fit.

Now the programs we use can generate support material, so that any shape is printable, its a bit like scaffolding, but it will usually take some work with a dremel to clean it up.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:03:47 AM

That's really nice! Wonderful Wink
sanjoea

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 05:05:25 AM