Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:52:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Community-run list of Bitcoin merchants (help me fill it!)  (Read 1235 times)
Malharhak (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:13:35 PM

Hi Smiley
bitcoinrep.org is a community list of all website that accept bitcoins as a payment method.
It is designed to provide an easy to access list of ways for people to use their bitcoins.
Community features such as likes/dislikes and comments are here to help people see which websites are popular and trustable.

I don't know about you here, but most of the time when I'm looking for an easy to use and complete list of merchants that accept bitcoins, it gets complicated. This is why I made this website. The goal is for everyone to be able to find what they are looking for, easily.

I always wanted to do something for the bitcoin community, so here I am, this website is my contribution.

What it features:
  • Community list of bitcoin merchants. Users can add new merchants
  • Likes, Dislikes and comment features so people can know which merchants are trustable
  • Searching by keywords
  • Clean design: No ads or boring stuff that gets in the way, just the websites
  • Fully responsive

Hope you'll like it. And please don't hesitate to add new websites to the list and/or give feedback

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gigica viteazu`

Activity: 458
Merit: 250

beast at work

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:57:18 PM

really nice idea!

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:13:50 PM

When I want to buy something with bitcoin, I usually know what kind of thing I'm looking for and then try to find a bitcoin-accepting vendor. What about categories, or a way to browse the keywords? A tagcloud-style keyword index could be cool...
Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:46:27 PM

When I want to buy something with bitcoin, I usually know what kind of thing I'm looking for and then try to find a bitcoin-accepting vendor. What about categories, or a way to browse the keywords? A tagcloud-style keyword index could be cool...

Yep that's the next things I will add to the website. Tag generation and categories are already in the database, they're just not browsable yet.

Thanks for the feedback !
Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:06:50 PM

The website has been updated with support for categories, markdown for people to write nice presentation pages and multi keyword searching Smiley
burnum

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:27:27 AM

i think you need to look at building a layer on top of google maps, and sell it as an app for cell phones so you are reimbursed for work you put into it.

Send me a message if you need me to respond to a post, or just send me some  $ADA in an amount that will get my attention = addr1qx7g7vzjtk9mcljxjy0vnewaljk33m67d227d95rsak8mmjdq5erwjygc05l6vftwdzy9qd3t4 9spl5kw5k6684gfawqw9r87w
Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:24:28 PM

That's a pretty good idea, but that means I should add the possibility to add physical stores with their location. Why not...

Activity: 144

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:38:00 PM

Yay, categories!

Minor bug: (in chrome) category list goes past the bottom of the page, no way to scroll it
Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:21:22 PM

Yay, categories!

Minor bug: (in chrome) category list goes past the bottom of the page, no way to scroll it

Yes if you have a small screen it happens... I'm not sure how to fix this though. There is just too much categories... But yea I noticed that. If anyone has a good idea about that I'd like to hear it

Edit: Never mind, I found a way to add a scrollbar to it.
katie1348

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 12:36:58 PM

Being able to add a physical location or add in a country and region during the submission might help.

You could quickly get swamped with sites, this might help people find things.

For example, people in the US will not be interested in physical stores or items from the UK, in most cases.

K
Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:42:03 AM

Being able to add a physical location or add in a country and region during the submission might help.

You could quickly get swamped with sites, this might help people find things.

For example, people in the US will not be interested in physical stores or items from the UK, in most cases.

K

That's on my plan, but most of the stores added for now are virtual stores that ship internationally.

I want to add this feature so people can add physical stores/places that accept bitcoin with their address, and then later I can generate a map showing stores arround the user.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:00:13 AM

What methods do you use to keep scammers at bay?

Are there any volunteers checking the list or does it have some kind of upvote system?
Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:29:46 PM

What methods do you use to keep scammers at bay?

Are there any volunteers checking the list or does it have some kind of upvote system?

the initial reason I built this website is to keep scammers at bay. There is a popularity bar on each websites, and people can like/dislike (only once per IP of course). There is also a comment page for each store.

Then if something is reported as a scam I will delete it.

I also plan on adding some features related to these matters like:
* A suspsicious flag that would appear after a certain dislike threshold
* Evaluations (with 5 stars and stuff)

But of course I can't check manually every added stores.

Edit: People can see the public todo-list and vote/comment stuff
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 05:51:51 PM

Thanks for adding All Things Luxury to the list, we also sell silver bullion along with Jewelry products. We are introducing a line of authentic diamond engagement rings this month. We have a few already online and are finding huge demand from the bitcoin community. Thanks!

Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:36:28 PM

Thanks for adding All Things Luxury to the list, we also sell silver bullion along with Jewelry products. We are introducing a line of authentic diamond engagement rings this month. We have a few already online and are finding huge demand from the bitcoin community. Thanks!

You're quite welcome Smiley
Sir Lagsalot

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

The lion roars!

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:17:36 PM

Thanks, this is cool!

I suggest an option to edit a store once posted. I guess that'd need a password system...

Yeah, I was doing too many things at once and messed up my entry a bit. Cheesy

Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:25:00 PM

Thanks, this is cool!

I suggest an option to edit a store once posted. I guess that'd need a password system...

Yeah, I was doing too many things at once and messed up my entry a bit. Cheesy

I actually already developped the edit system, but didn't put it online because I'm affraid people will replace links, or things like that. I don't know how to enable it in a non-dangerous way.

Maybe putting edits on a "pending" status that I would have to verify, but I don't like this solution.

Anyway if you need to edit an entry you can mail/pm me, as explained in the about section
Malharhak (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:00:39 AM

Just a post to say I made a little update : Now the website display shareable URLs, so you can directly link a category/search/whatever to someone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: