Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:33:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mailbit.io allows you to easily verify your ownership of a bitcoin wallet  (Read 882 times)
xabbix (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:47:21 PM

Much like the verification the process of signing a message with your private key provides, mailbit.io allows you to do the same in an easier way.

It creates a mailbox for you under the @mailbit.io domain so you can re-use the address without having to sign it over and over again using the private key.

Let me know if you have any ideas of how to improve this service.

More info here:

https://mailbit.io
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:52:30 PM

Much like the verification the process of signing a message with your private key provides, mailbit.io allows you to do the same in an easier way.

It creates a mailbox for you under the @mailbit.io domain so you can re-use the address without having to sign it over and over again using the private key.

More info here:

The only problem I see is, how can this be done if you use a paper wallet.

xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:57:49 PM

More info here:

You're right that is an issue.

In that case you will have to load it and send the verification coins but I'm guessing people would not want to do that Smiley
devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:29:00 PM

More info here:

In that case you will have to load it and send the verification coins but I'm guessing people would not want to do that Smiley

I wonder if you guys can make some kind of workaround for that.

xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:37:49 PM

More info here:

I wonder if you guys can make some kind of workaround for that.

Not sure if technically possible.. If you have an idea how let me know since I'm interested in adding some features.

Currently I'm thinking about:

1. Allowing you to choose to either use a password for your mailbox or no password. If you choose to have no password you will have to send 0.001BTC each time you want to use your inbox. Once the session expires you will need to do it again if you want to log in.

2. Apply a 'catch all' on the mailserver allowing you to basically email any user on @mailbit.io even if it wasn't created yet. So you can basically send an email to 13bdG3V2yrpnxkugVQ3Xzipmrbu5pmrDbg@mailbit.io with some content and when/if someone will ever register and validate that account he will be able to see the email you sent.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:43:33 PM

2. Apply a 'catch all' on the mailserver allowing you to basically email any user on @mailbit.io even if it wasn't created yet. So you can basically send an email to 13bdG3V2yrpnxkugVQ3Xzipmrbu5pmrDbg@mailbit.io with some content and when/if someone will ever register and validate that account he will be able to see the email you sent.
I can see this being exploited into using the site as a mailinator clone.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:45:02 PM

Yeah but no one can retrieve the info sent to 13bdG3V2yrpnxkugVQ3Xzipmrbu5pmrDbg@mailbit.io other than the owner of this wallet address 13bdG3V2yrpnxkugVQ3Xzipmrbu5pmrDbg.

Mailinator allows anyone to read the content of any email under @mailinator.com
devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:47:07 PM

Yeah but no one can retrieve the info sent to 13bdG3V2yrpnxkugVQ3Xzipmrbu5pmrDbg@mailbit.io other than the owner of this wallet address 13bdG3V2yrpnxkugVQ3Xzipmrbu5pmrDbg.

Mailinator allows anyone to read the content of any email under @mailinator.com

Man, I really wish you had support for paper wallets without having to import the private key...

Not really sure how it could be done though.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:56:10 PM

You should mention on your site that people should only use addresses that are under their exclusive control (so no shared wallets).

Signature space available for rent.
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:58:38 PM

You should mention on your site that people should only use addresses that are under their exclusive control (so no shared wallets).

Thanks I'll add that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: