Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will Bitcoin be out of Beta?  (Read 1560 times)
Coma (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:12:23 PM

What are the requirements for this particular project to move forward to release candidate or production? Are there any technical milestones that need to be fulfilled?

I don't think it depends on a certain market value, but don't know what it really depends on.

Funny thing is that Live Release version of software sometimes is reffered to as "Gold" or "Golden", so surpassing an oz. of gold in value will probably make sense to a lot of us.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:47:08 PM

What are the requirements for this particular project to move forward to release candidate or production? Are there any technical milestones that need to be fulfilled?

I don't think it depends on a certain market value, but don't know what it really depends on.

Funny thing is that Live Release version of software sometimes is reffered to as "Gold" or "Golden", so surpassing an oz. of gold in value will probably make sense to a lot of us.

Probably same time you  come out of your coma
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:26:50 PM

Wow, that's really an impressive reply. Nice to have such a smart person in the forum.

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
Coma (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:35:47 PM

So that means it is out of Beta already and Beta is just the name of the version?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:44:07 PM

Perhaps at or near the year 2140?

:-)

Of course, there are several components here:
1. Bitcoin - the protocol
2. Bitcoin - the Satoshi client.
- other clients and other projects using the block chain.

If you are talking about the Satoshi reference client, I don't think anyone knows when they'll transition out of beta. 

Ecurb123

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 08:06:20 PM

The only thing in beta is the QT-client, I mean the bitcoin network is being used right now, at least in the minds of the users it's in production.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:32:41 PM

Perhaps it will remain this way until Bitcoin 2.0 is released.
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:54:40 PM

This is a good question.  I wasn't fully aware Bitcoin was still actually in Beta.  I also would like too know when it would be considered to be out of beta.  I figured with all the adoption lately that our little crypto was all grown up, can't wait for what is the next phase of this currency.

Coma (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:25:18 PM

This is a good question.  I wasn't fully aware Bitcoin was still actually in Beta.  I also would like too know when it would be considered to be out of beta.  I figured with all the adoption lately that our little crypto was all grown up, can't wait for what is the next phase of this currency.

http://bitcoin.org/en/faq
Ongoing development - Bitcoin software is still in beta with many incomplete features in active development. New tools, features, and services are being developed to make Bitcoin more secure and accessible to the masses. Some of these are still not ready for everyone. Most Bitcoin businesses are new and still offer no insurance. In general, Bitcoin is still in the process of maturing.

So, the Bitcoin-qt client is in Beta, there other clients not in Beta. It's a development decision.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 09:56:21 PM

Nobody really knows the answer.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 12:43:30 AM

Version 1.0 will not be a beta, by convention. 0.9 will be the last major new feature update during beta. Incremental updates 0.9-1.0.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:30:32 AM

I was in LABitConf here in Argentina during this last weekend.

Jeff Garzik gave a talk about the roadmap and said they (core devs) have discussed this and that it really isn't a beta anymore, given it's been in production for 4 years now and handling over 12B dollars.

He said Satoshi had a vision and some pre-req's for v.1, which have mostly been fulfilled in one way or the other (he envisioned the original client + a thin client with no need for all the bc; which has come in the form Electrum and the such).

Finally he said it wouldn't be long now, at most 1 year for v.1 and the official end of the "beta".

Straight up from a core dev.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:01:29 AM

Jeff Garzik gave a talk about the roadmap and said they (core devs) have discussed this and that it really isn't a beta anymore, given it's been in production for 4 years now and handling over 12B dollars.

He said Satoshi had a vision and some pre-req's for v.1, which have mostly been fulfilled in one way or the other (he envisioned the original client + a thin client with no need for all the bc; which has come in the form Electrum and the such).

Finally he said it wouldn't be long now, at most 1 year for v.1 and the official end of the "beta".

Gavin mentions adding support for market-dependent miner fees as well as solving the block size-limit issue to enable massive transaction-processing scalability.  I always imagined the version that addresses these issues would be V1.0.  Just a gut feel though....

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:15:22 AM

Gavin mentions adding support for market-dependent miner fees as well as solving the block size-limit issue to enable massive transaction-processing scalability.  I always imagined the version that addresses these issues would be V1.0.  Just a gut feel though....

Indeed, Smart fees is another one of the features he mentioned would be included.

That was not the case for block-size limit. Consensus on that appears to be there is no need yet.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:18:13 AM

Wow, that's really an impressive reply. Nice to have such a smart person in the forum.

i was thinking the same thing

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: