Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:36:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who was first with 28nm?  (Read 2238 times)
brioche (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 08:52:50 PM

I have been looking around at various mining hardware sites and noticed many of them claim to be the first companies to offer 28nm ASIC's.

Maybe a silly question but which company or group was the first to have the 28nm ASIC?

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
North Carolina ❖ First in Flight ❖ /   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:01:38 PM

I believe KncMiner is the only company that has delivered a 28 nm bitcoin mining device thus far.
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 09:27:49 PM

I dunno that fixating on the process node matters.  KNC's product is a structured asic, just one step up from a FPGA hardcopy... and it shows it— the power efficiency is half that being achieved in shipping products by others (bitfury, bitmain) on 55nm, and much lower than the 28nm products in preorder are claiming.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:39:32 PM

I dunno that fixating on the process node matters.  KNC's product is a structured asic, just one step up from a FPGA hardcopy... and it shows it— the power efficiency is half that being achieved in shipping products by others (bitfury, bitmain) on 55nm, and much lower than the 28nm products in preorder are claiming.

Although you're right about the power efficiency part, I'd say that for GH/s per m2 will be in the favour of the 28nm process geometry, whatever shortcuts in design methodology are used. It's hard to see how you could design a chip layout that was only as space efficient as something twice the feature size.

But this will only make a difference to people that wish to pack hashing power into a datacenter, really. Hobbyists should still be thinking along the lines of "28nm of what?".

Vires in numeris
gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 12:19:04 AM

But this will only make a difference to people that wish to pack hashing power into a datacenter, really. Hobbyists should still be thinking along the lines of "28nm of what?".
even in a datacenter— Three antminer S1 are is faster than a KNC jupiter, and I believe they take up less space (if not less, it's close— I don't have the dimensions of the KNC handy). yea, sure they involve more chips... but they are low power so they can reach reasonably high chip density in a single unit.
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:07:09 AM

I dunno that fixating on the process node matters.  KNC's product is a structured asic, just one step up from a FPGA hardcopy... and it shows it— the power efficiency is half that being achieved in shipping products by others (bitfury, bitmain) on 55nm, and much lower than the 28nm products in preorder are claiming.

I was with Sam from KnC a few days ago at the bitcoin expo in london and he confirmed once and for all that the knc asic is not an eAsic nor any kind of shortcut design.  it is a standard cell asic, the same as everyone else's.  the only difference is that theirs shipped in early october so whatever decisions they took in the design to get it out so fast, were very effective and valuable...

and as for power efficiency, its not that bad.  its 1W/GH at the wall.  thats better than most bitfury boards ..  most of those are > 1W/GH at the wall.

DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:16:52 AM

anyone still talking 'power efficiency' in the ASIC era is on the sidelines looking in.   it is such a small % of the equation and only means something at the end of a gen era...which is when you should be plotting to be first on the next major tech advance

tl;dr  once power efficiency means anything, you are running obsolete miners

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
SirWizz

Activity: 173

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:20:37 AM

I dunno that fixating on the process node matters.  KNC's product is a structured asic, just one step up from a FPGA hardcopy... and it shows it— the power efficiency is half that being achieved in shipping products by others (bitfury, bitmain) on 55nm, and much lower than the 28nm products in preorder are claiming.

I was with Sam from KnC a few days ago at the bitcoin expo in london and he confirmed once and for all that the knc asic is not an eAsic nor any kind of shortcut design.  it is a standard cell asic, the same as everyone else's.  the only difference is that theirs shipped in early october so whatever decisions they took in the design to get it out so fast, were very effective and valuable...

and as for power efficiency, its not that bad.  its 1W/GH at the wall.  thats better than most bitfury boards ..  most of those are > 1W/GH at the wall.

Don't you love it when people outside of KNC/OrSoc know even more about the KNC chips than the guys who designed them? Cheesy We have a number of "experts" here...

Also, agree 100% with you DPoS, if you are in a situation where a few Watts will make or break your endeavor you should know it's time to call it quits.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:36:17 AM

anyone still talking 'power efficiency' in the ASIC era is on the sidelines looking in.   it is such a small % of the equation and only means something at the end of a gen era...which is when you should be plotting to be first on the next major tech advance

Power efficiency might not mean much to the bottom line.  But it does have significance when we're potentially talking about a 3,000 watt miner.  Although I do think its way to early to worry much about that.  We have no idea how efficient KNC's 20nm is going to be.  It's purely conjecture at this moment in time.
r1senfa17h

Activity: 226

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:36:48 AM

Thank you! So many people get fixated on power efficiency when the total monthly electric cost for my "inefficient" KnC Jupiter is paid for within 6 hours of hashing.

1N3o5Kyvb4iECiJ3WKScKY8xTVXxf1hMvA
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 03:40:27 AM

Power efficiency does not matter right now because of the exchange to fiat.  If BTC price was $10, everybody would want to run bitfury and nothing else.
Electricity is a small fraction of the revenue generated by most miners today.

People already forget the times when BTC price was $5 and everybody wanted to get FPGAs because the GPU farms did not scale very well.

Right now, space is an important factor and heat removal can be an issue in some installations.  But cost of electricity is negligible.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:13:46 AM

Cheapest $ per gh/s chip or miner available right now?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 06:50:57 AM

I was with Sam from KnC a few days ago
KnC's inability to tell a consistent story was one of the reasons I happily chose to not to business with them. They've clearly stated both before and after product production that it was a structured asic run, and their power results support it. Ultimately it doesn't matter if they used crackerjack boxes to make their masks, at the end what matters is the specs and they're a mixed story. I mean, sure, feel free to not care.  But a 2x increase in operating cost, and thermal load is not "a few watts", especially for those of us not interested in a high risk gamble involving mining for a few months and then throwing the hardware out.

By all means, be happy with their product— they shipped a working device to many people mostly on time, better than a lot of other vendors, and many of those customers will be happy enough with a product that goes to the landfill before the bitfury and bitmain devices. Though in terms of feature size I don't see a reason to brag about 28nm when it doesn't achieve substantially better hashrate per U or hashrate per watt even close to multiple competing 55nm designs.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:31:55 AM

I try not to be rude..I know you are being a purest...   all hell who cares......

are you saying, that as long as your daily cost to mine is less than the btc you produce...but you get it so late vs the diff that you never get your money back you are fine since you will last a few months longer than a less efficient one that came out months ahead and made the power cost difference irrelevant?

that's like saying you make the bestest oil drill but you are so late that all the easy oil is already gone... did you really do better?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
brioche (OP)

Activity: 192

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 11:04:40 AM

I believe KncMiner is the only company that has delivered a 28 nm bitcoin mining device thus far.

Thanks for the answer to my question Smiley

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
North Carolina ❖ First in Flight ❖ /   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Wesly

Activity: 185

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 12:29:34 PM

Thanks for the answer to my question Smiley

I love how casual you said thank you.. I bet you didn't realize the big debate you caused when you first post your question here Smiley
Wesly

Activity: 185

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 12:41:36 PM

KnC's inability to tell a consistent story was one of the reasons I happily chose to not to business with them. They've clearly stated both before and after product production that it was a structured asic run, and their power results support it. Ultimately it doesn't matter if they used crackerjack boxes to make their masks, at the end what matters is the specs and they're a mixed story. I mean, sure, feel free to not care.  But a 2x increase in operating cost, and thermal load is not "a few watts", especially for those of us not interested in a high risk gamble involving mining for a few months and then throwing the hardware out.

even in a datacenter— Three antminer S1 are is faster than a KNC jupiter, and I believe they take up less space (if not less, it's close— I don't have the dimensions of the KNC handy). yea, sure they involve more chips... but they are low power so they can reach reasonably high chip density in a single unit.

I am not sure what KnC did or didn't do that caused you to be so negative about them.  I remember you accused them of mining with customer's hardware just before they start shipping their first batch of ASIC system.  But I wonder who is the one who has problem telling a consistent story.  The Antminer S1 are 2W/Gh (at the wall), versus 1W/Gh for KnC (Oct Batch pre-0.98 firmware), and yet you are railing against the "inefficiency" of KnC and the 2x operating cost/thermal load while suggesting the more power-hungry antminer is better because they are low power?
tiaguitah

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:30:50 PM

virtualminingcorp.com

was the first. Check the details guys.

gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 01:43:34 PM

I am not sure what KnC did or didn't do that caused you to be so negative about them.
Hm? I'm not that negative, as far as I can tell a lot of people are perfectly happy with them. When I communicated with them they couldn't keep a consistent story and it made we wary, but I'm glad other people are happy with them. I'm personally not all that happy with any of the major hardware companies right now, I'm concerned that their business practices have not been doing the ecosystem well, but thats neither here nor there and KNC is certainly not the worst of it.

versus 1W/Gh for KnC (Oct Batch pre-0.98 firmware)
Go update the mining hardware comparison as it's claiming 2.5w/Gh, if thats wrong then I retract my whining.
VinceSamios

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 02:15:54 PM

Although we don't know power specs for VirtualMining devices yet, they are shipping 28nm products designed by a very very reputable firm (eASIC)

55nm BitFury chips are the most power efficient of the chips which state their power consumptions.

The Happy Clappy Bitcoin Chappy - http://twitter.com/vincesamios
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: