Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:53:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining still profitable?  (Read 546 times)
anatolykarpov (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 06:33:40 PM

Hi dear valuable community members,

I have been searching to mine something but I am a bit confused.
I have already checked this section to find some answer but need your precious help.

I am an engineer (nerd) who enjoys building things with my own hands. But to mine btc, eth and similar stuff, you need to buy specific hardware and roi is really high for these coins. Also It gets harder and harder every day to make some money.
I do not expect too much money from this

So do you have any idea or recommend anything to mine with VPS (Virtual Private Server).
Is this possible?

Thanks

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk  ■  Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 06:57:56 PM

Dont know about the vps part, but as far as gpu mining goes, enter only if you can find cheap gpu`s. And i mean cheap like half the regular price and that means used. Other options are waiting for new gen of gpu`s or to buy one of the asics that are spreading like a plague these days...
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 07:06:39 PM

No it's not, is far from profitable right now, to be profitable it needs to return your money invested in 3 months cause that is what the warranty of mining cards are, 3 months warranty, so if asus, gigabyte, inno, evga, asrock give you 3 months of warranty then that means they expect you to earn your money back in 3 months because after 3 months the manufacture expect it to fail, break and never work anymore and that is the real truth that trolls ignore.

So anybody saying mining is profitable right now, is a mindless troll.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 07:29:20 PM

No it's not, is far from profitable right now, to be profitable it needs to return your money invested in 3 months cause that is what the warranty of mining cards are, 3 months warranty, so if asus, gigabyte, inno, evga, asrock give you 3 months of warranty then that means they expect you to earn your money back in 3 months because after 3 months the manufacture expect it to fail, break and never work anymore and that is the real truth that trolls ignore.

You don't have to use mining GPU for mining, buy a normal one and get at least 2 years of warranty (2 years is minimum in EU). Of course, you should not overpay for your GPU.

And mining IS profitable.

anatolykarpov (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 07:55:52 PM

You don't have to use mining GPU for mining, buy a normal one and get at least 2 years of warranty (2 years is minimum in EU). Of course, you should not overpay for your GPU.

How so?
I am living in a developing (kindof) country where it's money is worthless. Let's forget this for a minute.

What type of mining and coins that you think its profitable.
Could you please be more specific?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk  ■  Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
DunePilot

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 08:14:15 PM

You can do decent with ETH or such but I'm still pointing mine towards low difficulty stuff, makes more than cost but has huge potential if you can hold and not sell to cover monthly cost.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 09:27:39 PM

You can do decent with ETH or such but I'm still pointing mine towards low difficulty stuff, makes more than cost but has huge potential if you can hold and not sell to cover monthly cost.

Soon nvidia and amd will block mining on gpu gaming, 3 months warranty on mining cards and the question will be, can you get your money in 3 months? I ask that because asus, gigabyte and others get their money by having sold you a mining gpu in 3 months when the warranty is done, can you do the same? can you get the money invested in 3 months? if not then it means is not worth the investment, means is not profitable at all.

You trolls are spoiled and cant see the big picture here, soon gaming gpus will be only gaming gpus and if mining survives all the crap they are doing to it, bitmain + gpu manufactures and soon nvidia and amd.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
bigmelons25

Activity: 240
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 10:08:22 PM

Leave mining to the big boys with the big farms with the free electricity. There is nothing left for the small timers anymore.  You might make a few pennies a day if your lucky now.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 03:29:10 AM

So do you have any idea or recommend anything to mine with VPS (Virtual Private Server).
Is this possible?

That's possible. You only need to find CPU-based coins to mine (most profitable coin). I was also using VPS while the first-time ETN released. The one only problems are, how much that VPS cost you, it must be one of your consideration.
cdrx

Activity: 441
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 05:59:22 AM

Leave mining to the big boys with the big farms with the free electricity. There is nothing left for the small timers anymore.  You might make a few pennies a day if your lucky now.

You need to choose what you mine and can be profitable.
Miner problem is that he's not selling when ATH and if he hodl he ends up paying the bills. Mining early coins is the key to small miners.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 01:30:25 PM

Just checked, I'm making around 200 euros a month with electricity costing 0.13 eur/kWh with my 5x R9 290 rig. Around 100 euros go for electricity costs and 100 is money I have as a profit. It's not much but it's still something.

Cryptonight is the word.

2stout

Activity: 2394
Merit: 593

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 01:57:39 PM

It all depends on entry price point (ex, GPU @ MSRP or significantly > than MSRP), electricity costs, and profitability of coin(s) being mined.  With this being said, mining can still be profitable.
ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 01:59:37 PM

Soon nvidia and amd will block mining on gpu gaming, 3 months warranty on mining cards and the question will be, can you get your money in 3 months? I ask that because asus, gigabyte and others get their money by having sold you a mining gpu in 3 months when the warranty is done, can you do the same? can you get the money invested in 3 months? if not then it means is not worth the investment, means is not profitable at all.

You trolls are spoiled and cant see the big picture here, soon gaming gpus will be only gaming gpus and if mining survives all the crap they are doing to it, bitmain + gpu manufactures and soon nvidia and amd.

weird, my truck payment gets paid every month from money out of thin air.

hehe.  must be some sort of troll trickery.

hehe.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 02:01:31 PM

How so?
I am living in a developing (kindof) country where it's money is worthless. Let's forget this for a minute.

What type of mining and coins that you think its profitable.
Could you please be more specific?

Be a real miner, search for it

if you disclosed it here, everybody jumps in and you may not able to enjoy what you are having right now

that's basically what the real miners ability is
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 02:31:54 PM

The answer to the question in your title is yes. The answer to the question I have quoted is no. Everything is possible, but that doesn't mean it is going to be worth it or feasible. There are a lot of problems that come with attempting to mine from a VPS. The first question would be, does your VPS have any rules or go to any lengths in order to block or disallow mining? Most services/companies that provide VPS do not allow mining on their systems and take great measures against it.

There are some good CPU coins that you can look into if this is the case, but it's going to take some research, testing and contacting customer support.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:41:44 AM

If you are wanting to use a VPS I would suggest looking into masternodes.  Basically, you lock a certain amount of a given coin away, and run a masternode.  You get rewarded for hosting a masternode in the form of more coins.  They can be lucrative.  Check out masternodes.pro and masternodes.online to get an idea of where you should start if you want to get into masternodes.
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:48:45 AM

If you are wanting to use a VPS I would suggest looking into masternodes.  Basically, you lock a certain amount of a given coin away, and run a masternode.  You get rewarded for hosting a masternode in the form of more coins.  They can be lucrative.  Check out masternodes.pro and masternodes.online to get an idea of where you should start if you want to get into masternodes.

Have you ever tried running a masternode? It's one thing to talk about it but another thing to actually do it.

The problem with running masternodes is the cost. To run a masternode you need to have a certain amount of coins which usually costs a lot. I'd say the average minimum amount of BTC needed to run a masternode is 1 BTC and that is for shitcoins. Running a DASH masternode for example costs $200k USD. So yeah..

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
chamika888

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 02:49:45 AM

it think it is not profitable to mine now because of the very high cost of equipment and electricity cost.it takes very long time to even brake even to small setups.but using green energy is very good approach such as solar energy but it also has initial investment. in my opinion it is better to invest that money into market and let it grow.
togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 10:22:24 PM

Is this possible?

That's possible. You only need to find CPU-based coins to mine (most profitable coin). I was also using VPS while the first-time ETN released. The one only problems are, how much that VPS cost you, it must be one of your consideration.

BiblePay (BBP)
- 10% mined coins always go to Charity (currently sponsoring 329 Orphans monthly!)  
- ASIC-Resistant like Vertcoin/Groestlcoin (CPU Mining Only)  
- fork of DASH (Masternode Governance, Proposals & Voting), Live 10% Monthly Budget
- Proof of BibleHash (POBh) algorithm, All Nodes are Full Nodes  
- Ranked #145 in Code Commits

630+ million BBP coins in circulation, 5.2 billion by Year 2050

Launched July 23rd 2017, Market Cap $2 million, $0.003 per BBP
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/biblepay/

38% of BiblePay coins are rewarded to Healing and Curing with Distributed Computing [Contributing CPU Cycles to Science Research]
- Rosetta@home (Cancer, AIDS/HIV, Malaria, Alzheimer’s)
- World Community Grid (Cancer, AIDS, Zika, Tuberculosis, Clean Energy, Ebola)

Mining Guides:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BiblePay/comments/6umlqq/how_to_mine_biblepay_on_windows/
https://www.reddit.com/r/BiblePay/comments/6ummuj/how_to_mine_biblepay_on_linux/

Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:27:40 PM

Have you ever tried running a masternode? It's one thing to talk about it but another thing to actually do it.

The problem with running masternodes is the cost. To run a masternode you need to have a certain amount of coins which usually costs a lot. I'd say the average minimum amount of BTC needed to run a masternode is 1 BTC and that is for shitcoins. Running a DASH masternode for example costs $200k USD. So yeah..

I run two masternodes.  Denarius and Feirm.  You can buy Feirm masternodes pretty cheap these days.  Denarius is right around 0.85 BTC.  I'm going to be getting another two Feirm nodes and maybe a Castle Airdrop Platform node when they go live, beyond that I haven't thought much.

You can buy a masternode on any budget just like you can mining hardware.  The benefit of buying the actual coins and not the hardware is you have a better shot of recovering your ROI because you don't have to worry about hardware depreciating in value because newer stuff is always on the horizon. There's always the risk that whatever node you choose could fail as well for whatever reasons.

I've been in and out of mining since it was only Bitcoin and you could do that in a web browser (those were the days!).

Masternodes pose a unique opportunity because if you get in early and cheap you could really make it big.  

As always, DYOR!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: