Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:58:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PGP signature for release of Bitcoin QT  (Read 1268 times)
figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:53:32 PM

does anyone know where i might find the proper release signatures for Bitcoin QT?

when i go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.5/ to download the latest QT update and verify signature against http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.5/SHA256SUMS.asc/view, the .asc file listed will not import into gpg4win/Kleopatra. does anyone know why? does the file need to be altered in some way? am i looking at the wrong thing entirely -- i just saw .asc and assumed this would be the signature to check against.

it doesn't list a fingerprint and user id, so i thought maybe i am looking at the wrong file..... if not, there is no fingerprint to verify against?  Huh

i had just figured out how to verify signatures and thought this would be straight forward. this stuff is way over my head.... Undecided

thanks in advance for any help!!! Smiley

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 12998

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:58:31 PM

SHA256SUMS.asc isn't a normal file signature. Open it in a text editor, copy the contents, and tell Kleopatra to verify it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:10:47 PM

SHA256SUMS.asc isn't a normal file signature. Open it in a text editor, copy the contents, and tell Kleopatra to verify it.
how do i tell Kleopatra to verify it? it will only accept .asc, .cer, .cert, .gpg etc. how do i format it so it will be imported?

i hate being such a noob Tongue

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 12998

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:13:18 PM

- Open it in a text editor (like Notepad)
- Select all of the text. Right click it. Copy.
- Right click the Kleopatra icon in your system tray (lower right).
- Choose Clipboard -> Decrypt/verify.
- It will probably tell you that it's not valid because it doesn't know the public key. That's a different issue...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:23:57 PM

- Open it in a text editor (like Notepad)
- Select all of the text. Right click it. Copy.
- Right click the Kleopatra icon in your system tray (lower right).
- Choose Clipboard -> Decrypt/verify.
- It will probably tell you that it's not valid because it doesn't know the public key. That's a different issue...

haha doh, i forgot that's why i posted in the first place. i need the public key to verify the signature against.

so yeah, "The signature is invalid. No public certificate to verify the signature."

so presumably this would have been released/signed by bitcoin dev team. does anyone know where i can find their public keys?

GoldenWings91

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:53:08 PM

http://bitcoin.org/en/development

It's signed by Gavin

Support The Bitcoin Network By Running A Full Node
Node Stats     GPG Key-ID: 0x445DF2D8     Monetary Freedom Is A Basic Human Right
figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:03:38 AM

awesome, exactly what i needed, thank you!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: