Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:59:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So all my greendot prepaid cards got closed...  (Read 8435 times)
BrewCrewFan (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:10:23 AM

I recently discovered that I had a goo chunk n Atl coin that came strong vs the BTC so I converted of course Smiley

Anyways, I been selling the BTC for money pac cards. All has gone fine and well the first day or 2 until last night and today.
They locked all my cards.
I then called each card to unlock and the messages on all 3 of them more or less said "due to recent activity on your card, we have decided to close your cards... please press star to unlock, but you can not add more money onto the cards."
So now I have still close to 4 BTC I need to cash out. I am wondering how to do this. I have set up a coinbase account and linked to the bank account, and I am waiting on the deposits that they do to confirm the account...
Another thing I worry about is if I do transfer the cash from there to the bank account, will it actually be accepted....I never used anything like this and its still a rather large amount of cash ( hey at least to me )

Any ideas would help. I hate paypal because I trust them as far as I can throw a 400 pound woman. They messed with me a while back by holding funds while they "investigated" all my sales which more or less froze the whole account and the funds were released slowly by each sale they found out was okay.

I also have done 2 WU transactions for about 1500 total in the last day... I dont know how picky they are about flagging people.
I also have done 1 moneygram for 1800... again I dont know how they are about doing multiple transactions or getting large amounts of money in a short time.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:09:35 AM

I recently discovered that I had a goo chunk n Atl coin that came strong vs the BTC so I converted of course Smiley

Anyways, I been selling the BTC for money pac cards. All has gone fine and well the first day or 2 until last night and today.
I then called each card to unlock and the messages on all 3 of them more or less said "due to recent activity on your card, we have decided to close your cards... please press star to unlock, but you can not add more money onto the cards."
So now I have still close to 4 BTC I need to cash out. I am wondering how to do this. I have set up a coinbase account and linked to the bank account, and I am waiting on the deposits that they do to confirm the account...
Another thing I worry about is if I do transfer the cash from there to the bank account, will it actually be accepted....I never used anything like this and its still a rather large amount of cash ( hey at least to me )

Any ideas would help. I hate paypal because I trust them as far as I can throw a 400 pound woman. They messed with me a while back by holding funds while they "investigated" all my sales which more or less froze the whole account and the funds were released slowly by each sale they found out was okay.

I also have done 2 WU transactions for about 1500 total in the last day... I dont know how picky they are about flagging people.
I also have done 1 moneygram for 1800... again I dont know how they are about doing multiple transactions or getting large amounts of money in a short time.

Doing a lot of MoneyPak transactions in a short period of time from geographically disparate sellers can lead to this. See if you can withdraw from the cards using an ATM and if not retaining a cheap attourney to draft a letter requesting a check for your outstanding balances may be in order.

BrewCrewFan (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:43:04 AM

Doing a lot of MoneyPak transactions in a short period of time from geographically disparate sellers can lead to this. See if you can withdraw from the cards using an ATM and if not retaining a cheap attourney to draft a letter requesting a check for your outstanding balances may be in order.

I can still buy online charges so the money is there to be used. I think I have delt with almost all that are here located in the US. The only one that has not been was done via WU.

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
Atruk

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:57:02 AM

I can still buy online charges so the money is there to be used. I think I have delt with almost all that are here located in the US. The only one that has not been was done via WU.

The problem is that Greendot is all US and even intra US reloads if too diverse and frequent can set off their money laundering flags even if nothing of the sort is occuring.

BrewCrewFan (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:14:44 AM

The problem is that Greendot is all US and even intra US reloads if too diverse and frequent can set off their money laundering flags even if nothing of the sort is occuring.

Blah figures. And its not like they call you to find out or you can talk to them to unlock and keep the card going. Its just "we closing you and go pound sand if you dont like it "

How about the other 2 methods of moneygram or WU? I know they both charge a crazy fee.

Or would it just be better to transfer the money into the bank account? If so large lump sum of 4K or do it in smaller bits?

Atruk

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:43:41 AM

Blah figures. And its not like they call you to find out or you can talk to them to unlock and keep the card going. Its just "we closing you and go pound sand if you dont like it "

How about the other 2 methods of moneygram or WU? I know they both charge a crazy fee.

Or would it just be better to transfer the money into the bank account? If so large lump sum of 4K or do it in smaller bits?

For large amounts wire is probably best. Into a bank account is generally best because of whatever extra rights that affords you.

I fyou want to keep trading for small amounts though and save most of your BTC for later, I'm not disliking the AMEX/Walmart BlueBird card. Takes Vanilla reload rahter than MoneyPak, but it isn't hard to get people to trade for.

uhnonamiss

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:24:13 AM

haha got my account banned from greendot services aswell doing the same thing Tongue   guess im heading to rushcards Smiley
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 09:58:05 AM

Just call greendot and tell them to close your card and mail you a check for the balance.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
BrewCrewFan (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:37:04 PM

haha got my account banned from greendot services aswell doing the same thing Tongue   guess im heading to rushcards Smiley

Rush care is one that I have and was the first one to lock me lol.
I was excited about the walmart visa one because it had a higher limit by almost 500 and that did not matter.... no longer able to reload either.
I also have the normal greendot card, that one worked fine until the thing refreshed ( when the transactions go from pending )

O well I am tempted just to sit on the BTC for right now they are holding steady over 1k

uhnonamiss

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:16:30 PM

Just call greendot and tell them to close your card and mail you a check for the balance.

i dont have to as greendot has a small heart even through they banned my ssn for life my card is still active till my balance is up or card expires so  i will have a .79$ check coming my way in march if i cant find a way to spend it Tongue
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:47:22 AM

This is a problem I am trying to prevent before it happens.

Selling coins for GreenDot will eventually get you banned if you do it enough.
Selling coins for bank deposits will eventually get you banned if you do it enough.
MG and WU are just ridiculously expensive.

Exchanges are hit and miss and becoming increasingly more miss day by day.

How do we move large sums of coins without being hamstrung by the traditional system?
uhnonamiss

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:02:19 AM

This is a problem I am trying to prevent before it happens.

Selling coins for GreenDot will eventually get you banned if you do it enough.
Selling coins for bank deposits will eventually get you banned if you do it enough.
MG and WU are just ridiculously expensive.

Exchanges are hit and miss and becoming increasingly more miss day by day.

How do we move large sums of coins without being hamstrung by the traditional system?

Gold or cash in the mail.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:27:58 AM

Yeah it seems like you are right. I was thinking this earlier during brainstorming and it seems like the only way.

I think we have to shift our dependence from the crappy current system and just go old school. Cash and bitcoins. Yes, it will be slower and less inconvenient. But it will benefit us in the long run.
overunity

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:26:11 PM

https://bitcoinbourse.eu/what_is_bitcoinbourse.php

I have been thinking about this company ,what do you think??
Do you think it would be safe to give them your coins to escrow ?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 08:30:37 PM

So now I have still close to 4 BTC I need to cash out. I am wondering how to do this.

For small amounts like this https://localbitcoins.com is perfect.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:33:12 PM

Isn't it illegal to send fiat thru mail?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 08:33:33 PM

Isn't it illegal to send fiat thru mail?
No, just risky.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:20:34 PM

When people say cash in the mail I automatically convert cash to money order in my mind. USPS money orders are best. IDK of any bank that wont cash a USPS money order because it is the most official. Wal Marts also do money order cashing and they money centers are usually open until about 9 or 10 pm.

I would have no problem conducting the majority of my BTC selling by using USPS money orders. Then, since you'll already be at the post office, you could overnight the MO to make the transaction even faster.

Of course it isn't a great option in terms of convenience but that's the give and take.
moriartybitcoin

Activity: 560

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:25:26 AM

Greendot is a major SCAM .. they recently froze one of my customer's cards for no reason at all.

redwhitenblue

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 12:45:57 AM

Having other people load money onto your card is not the intended use for the card.

It becomes obvious that multiple people are loading funds to your card when they load it from locations that are sufficiently far from each other that it would be reasonable to say you are not traveling to those places.

For example if someone loaded funds on Monday from CA, then on Wednesday from TX and Thursday from England, they could reasonably infer that these transactions are from multiple people.

If they were to allow these transactions then they would essentially be acting as a Money Service Transmitter (it is my understanding they are not) and would need to use additional AML policies and checks.

Doing this is a "red flag" of money laundering, even if what you are doing is 100% legit (you are even paying taxes, ect.) and can prove this, it still looks like money laundering.

I would find it unlikely that you never receive your funds back that you had on your cards. It will probably take some time though. 

Coinbase is probably the best option for selling your remaining BTC if that is what you wish to do.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: