Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:44:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Crashing when miner starts  (Read 583 times)
jswift1234 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:45:12 AM

My GPU crashes in spectacular fashion as soon as my coin miner starts. By 'crashes' I mean the desktop PC loses power completely. Not a blue screen, just powers down. Pretty sure it's the GPU because I can get the miner to run with the CPU. Any ideas on what's going on?

Here's my configuration:
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1090T Six-Core
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870
POWERSUPPLY: 800W XtremeGear

I get the same error with GUIMiner, Multiminer, bfgminer and the BitMinter java client.

Advice greatly appreciated.
iiWii

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:37:58 PM

Try turning on vsync, was it working before? Or is this your first time mining
ThePlanBPill

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:00:40 PM

What are the settings of your miner?
M.Shu

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:39:30 PM

Overclock? Overheat?
kaito

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:55:39 PM

I'd run a GPU benchmark like furmark to see if the same problem occurs.
If it runs through, then try to clean up and reinstall your GPU drivers and OpenCL stuff.
If it doesn't... well if you have no spare parts then I guess I'd try putting the card in another PCIe slot. Other than that I'd be pretty lost as it could be the PSU, GPU or motherboard.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:58:22 PM

Your power supply is likely toast, highly under-spec on the output. It works till you try to hit the TDP of the card, voltage sags and it goes unstable and crashes.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
ThePlanBPill

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:59:01 PM

I'd run a GPU benchmark like furmark to see if the same problem occurs.
If it runs through, then try to clean up and reinstall your GPU drivers and OpenCL stuff.
If it doesn't... well if you have no spare parts then I guess I'd try putting the card in another PCIe slot. Other than that I'd be pretty lost as it could be the PSU, GPU or motherboard.

Furmark may not be a good test if your computer crashes when scrypt mining as furmark doesn't actually stress the memory that much. If you're SHA mining then furmark would probably work.
ThePlanBPill

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:17:55 PM

Your power supply is likely toast, highly under-spec on the output. It works till you try to hit the TDP of the card, voltage sags and it goes unstable and crashes.

If you mean to say 800 watts is not enough for that system then I disagree.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:20:33 PM

I mean to say that a 800W "XtremeGear" power supply is nowhere near 800W, or probably even half that. If you knew how to read you would have picked that out of my earlier post.

Don't have to believe me though, just google "XtremeGear."

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
ThePlanBPill

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:50:59 PM

I mean to say that a 800W "XtremeGear" power supply is nowhere near 800W, or probably even half that. If you knew how to read you would have picked that out of my earlier post.

Don't have to believe me though, just google "XtremeGear."

No I agree with that. I was just getting clarification. Sounds like a shit no name brand.

EDIT: And that is why I said "If you mean to say". Speculatively asking. Not asserting that is what you meant. No need to be rude.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: