Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:34:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy BTC Instantly with Credit Cards!  (Read 18053 times)
Lucky Cris (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:34:39 AM

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts to secure coins from someone on this forum - I can say that I'll never have to ask again (fingers crossed). While I may still be a little new on this forum, I'm no stranger when it comes to buying coins. I have accounts with and use the following to buy BTC. You can search the forums if you'd like to see my .00002 BTC about them:

• Coinbase - will never get my business again
  • Virwox - suffered through the high fees
  • BTCquick - 2k daily buy limit, no stock - but still love
  • LBC - highly overpriced, used 4 times out of desperation

Here's what happened:
So I reached my monthly buy limit with Virwox today (yes, I buy lots of coins) and Google led me to Coin.mx. I was really skeptical at first, but after spending some time chatting with the live chat operator, I gained a little confidence. Just a quick synopsis of their process:

• Signed up for account, verified email
  • Answered 4 ID verification questions, got instant verification for deposits
  • Attached my credit card, recorded a video of me holding my card and my ID
  • The live operator reviewed and approved my video, deposit approved
  • Bought BTC and transferred them to my offline wallet

The entire process didn't take longer than 20 minutes. I think I give valuable feedback and try to help members on this forum, especially when it comes to getting coins... but helping to socialize this is my biggest contribution to everyone looking to get BTC for a price - now

Coin.mx Specs:
Fee Schedule:
Credit Card Deposit - 3.5%
Deposit via Bank Transfer - 1.0%
Trades (Buy/Sell) - 0.5%
Withdrawal via Bank Transfer - 1.5%
Transfer to another Wallet - .001 BTC
Based out of Florida

Get 5 USD in your account!
If you decide to open an account - ping the live chat operator Jen. Tell her I referred you and you'll get 5 bucks when you make a deposit... that simple. Oh and respond to this thread to let me know.

Didn't intend to be lengthy, but I think most of you would agree that this is a must needed service in the BTC community. They don't have a thread on this forum for member reviews... should we create one for them?

vanchau

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:43:30 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 05:38:42 PM by vanchau

The site is well designed and everything seems legit.. doesnt seem like a lot of activity yet.  I sent over 5 coins and sent them back.  There's some weird stuff like the as seen on tv ads which I dont think is true.  Why would they lie and tarnish their reputation though?  In this business you should be transparent and squeaky clean legit because its bitcoins and no one wants to be a victim of another Sheep Marketplace type setup.

I would proceed with caution but its a nicely done site.  Their video capture for credit card deposits is both cool and alarming as its a great way to get your CC number and name on your ID.

Would LOVE for this to be a 100% legit site, but would take more research/investigating.  Another member said they were based in some other country and NOT florida. 
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:47:42 PM

I just signed up and sent over some coins.. will let you know how it goes....

Sweet! Make sure they make good on your $5 Tongue   

damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:38:33 PM

Their website claims to have been featured on  "Forbes, CNBC, New York Times and FOX News"  

I can't find any info or articles online to support those claims

If your buying with no issue then  Smiley
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:09:35 PM

Their website claims to have been featured on  "Forbes, CNBC, New York Times and FOX News" 

I can't find any info or articles online to support those claims

If your buying with no issue then  Smiley

I saw that too... I can't tell you whether or not that's true - I'm only offering my personal experience.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:12:54 PM

The site is well designed and everything seems legit.. doesnt seem like a lot of activity yet.  I sent over 5 coins and sent them back.  There's some weird stuff like the as seen on tv ads which I dont think is true.  Why would they lie and tarnish their reputation though?  In this business you should be transparent and squeaky clean legit because its bitcoins and no one wants to be a victim of another Sheep Marketplace type setup.

I would proceed with caution but its a nicely done site.  Their video capture for credit card deposits is both cool and alarming as its a great way to get your CC number and name on your ID.

Would LOVE for this to be a 100% legit site, but would take more research/investigating.  Another member said they were based in some other country and NOT florida. 

Holy smokes! Heck anything's possible when it comes to BTC. My first two transactions went smoothly, no issues. According to the site, they've only been operating for about a month. We'll probably see more traffic soon.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:19:32 PM

Has anyone else tried Coin.Mx? I'd like to know that I'm not their only customer! lol

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:57:42 AM

I just used this site again today with no issues. If you're looking to buy some coins now, consider this site.

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:31:09 AM

interesting

Er never mind.. USA only
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 11:13:50 PM

Interesting - they appear to accept credit cards ...?

Site looks okay, i think i'll pass though.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:48:18 AM

Made two BTC purchases today. The only issue I have thus far is the time it takes for withdrawal requests to process. It seems that when online chat isn't available, you have to email customer service. Purchasing coins is automatic, but I'm not sure about withdrawals... I'll keep you all updated. 

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:15:41 AM

i would never scan a card and send someplace on the internet without a slightest clue how they take care of such sensitive, personal data, much less make a video of myself with a card and id.
btw banks do not recommend actually recommend against making pictures of your cards and sending out.

i also have a hard time letting my card out of my sight at gas stations and dining places
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 02:43:40 AM

careful with coin.mx... says they are in West Palm Beach, FL.. but they most certainly are not.

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:56:28 AM

careful with coin.mx... says they are in West Palm Beach, FL.. but they most certainly are not.

Where are the located? So far it's worked out for me, but if they do have misleading info listed on their site, it would be nice to bring that to everyone's attention.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:05:02 AM

i would never scan a card and send someplace on the internet without a slightest clue how they take care of such sensitive, personal data, much less make a video of myself with a card and id.
btw banks do not recommend actually recommend against making pictures of your cards and sending out.

i also have a hard time letting my card out of my sight at gas stations and dining places

In normal situations, no I wouldn't. However, because of the nature of these transactions, I can see how they're using it to assure against credit card charge backs. I don't think identify theft would be at the top of their list if they were out to get us... if anything, they'd disappear with everyone's coins like other exchanges. But even if there is something funky is going on, it's a credit card, so I can dispute unauthorized charges. 

tehbizz

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:58:51 AM

Where are the located? So far it's worked out for me, but if they do have misleading info listed on their site, it would be nice to bring that to everyone's attention.

Well, they DO have misleading information on their site.  It's not just misleading, it's entirely made up.  I work for a web hosting company so what I'm about to point out is stuff I see literally every single day. 

So I drop on by coin.mx and it looks nice (well not really, the design is awful) and notice the LivePerson chat window pop-up.  Something odd caught my eye:

https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/0/AABcXGaAzw1Ot9ghkuHqX2-PCyTmUcfVZX780tt6fyntZw/12/26047663/png/1024x768/3/1386831600/0/2/shot_131211_142835.png/X30AcHMNdcCMgmk_MeETxTlewvmNj0eNdAivXVFeHE8

I'm confused.  "Jen" in their (fake) chatbox says -- in very terribly Google Translated English -- they have been open for 3 weeks.  But wait!  Jeff's testimonial says he's been a member since July 2013, or five months ago.  How can both of these be true?  They can't be.  Also, notice he's from "Sandeigo", a place that very much does not exist in California (or anywhere else).  Also, take a look at Jen's picture, keep it in mind, I'll be coming back to it.

So this made me think, if their fake chat tech says they're three weeks old but they have rotating testimonials from "members" dating back 5-6 months, let's look at their domain registration.

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AADntquUUC4WPec1zRbmC5bvxUUpKw27aYpLtMrpBz39oA/12/26047663/png/1024x768/3/1386831600/0/2/shot_131211_142850.png/TTlGNrd3ylZTKLmfGf3J-RTat3cTdCsL4h2Mqa1ivJw

The domain name itself is almost a full two months old.  It's also pretty shady that they're using protected WHOIS from GoDaddy.  Someone who is taking your money should never do this.  So clearly, Jeff couldn't have been a member for three months before the domain was ever registered and Jen herself has a problem with time and dates.  Three weeks is very different from five months.  But speaking of Jen, remember her picture?  Well, to me it looked very off for a chat tech working for their company.  I know this because the company I work for used to used to use LiveChat and none of our techs had pictures like that.

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AAAYz6f6uqn4GF7Yy9uJpRKZ6msT_EWhHCO50wzMaPyxAQ/12/26047663/png/1024x768/3/1386831600/0/2/shot_131211_154752.png/6rNPgJrl1nQecU4cy0N2PtBNHqJzhgde4m5LkPildU4

This just looks weird to me, in fact, it screams "stock photo".  So what do I do?  Jump on Tineye to see if I can find any results and guess what?  I do: http://www.tineye.com/search/2b42ea560e696320d8da2bd86fc99b6c2a2543f6 (screenshot in case the results expire: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r5h4gzup7f5vu0/shot_131212_001923.png ).  Hmmmmm, curious, so they are using a stock photo.  That would not be that big of a deal if it were for a different part of their site but for their chat tech?  Super sketchy.

But let's go looking for this picture.  It was actually really easy to find: http://www.pixmac.com/picture/young+woman+on+outdoor+background/000076573247 .  In fact, the photographer has a lot of shots of the very same girl: http://www.pixmac.com/author/arkusha%40dp#/page/1/obj/52.  This makes this even more sketchy.  In fact, I just investigated a "development company" last week from Orlando that was using a bunch of BS testimonial stuff like this as well to purposefully scam/defraud people out of money for something really stupid.

Then I noticed the "Featured on..." thing.  If someone does this and doesn't link back to the original site or the article(s) where they have been featured, it's a complete sham, using that as a way to lend legitimacy to something obviously made up.

Then...the phone number.  It's not in Florida.  I know this because I live in the same county and all of our phone numbers start with area code 561 but their area code is 513 which is the general Cincinnati area in Ohio.  This same number is registered to https://www.bcoinmarket.com/index whom I've read is the same company operating under a different name.  Why would they need two exchange companies?  Also, their site has literally no publicly-accessible information about who they are, their T&Cs, or anything else.  That screams scam.  Further down the rabbit hole I go.  Both sites are operated by Collectibles Club PMA: http://collectpma.com/.  This too lists the same contact info as the other two sites, which isn't really that big of a deal if their operation is really small.  However, they make their operation sound extremely large.  Also, this site's T&Cs are unlinked entirely, another sign of a sketchy operation.

Their own Facebook page has literally ZERO information about the company other than what is on the website: https://www.facebook.com/coinmx.  No one other than the page owners have posted to their page and even then, over half of the content is them re-sharing someone else's status/picture.  So...they're not even talking about their own company?  That's sketchy.

Based on all of this and my years of working in web hosting and coming across unscrupulous people everyday, I would never do business with these guys.  They've got nearly every piece of data about the company obfuscated, faked, or purposefully hidden and yet, I'm supposed to trust them with my money?  I don't think so.  I did this much research because they're (supposedly) in Florida and if I could just drive up to their office and deposit funds, I'd use them in a heartbeat but their operation is way too sketchy for me to ever bother with.
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:24:37 AM

Excellent investigation work!

I figured the photo was fake (usually they are), but you certainly brought a couple of new things to light. What I found strange was the fact that they make no mention that they're doing business as another exchange. So far I haven't had any issues, but of course, I'm only doing small transactions and their trade volume is pretty low compared to other exchanges. Who's to say that when they gain lots of trust from the bitcoin community that they don't run with everyone's coins; wouldn't be the first time it's happened. Couple the other options available to get coins (or the lack thereof) using this method with btcQuick being out of stock... well 

tehbizz

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:42:22 PM

Turns out they're probably operating out of Azerbaijan according to these two posts, so I would be extremely wary of using them:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=352425.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=348255.0

And I'd certainly be keeping an eye on my credit card statements for anything suspicious because it's probably going to happen in a month or two.
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:56:00 PM

Turns out they're probably operating out of Azerbaijan according to these two posts, so I would be extremely wary of using them:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=352425.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=348255.0

And I'd certainly be keeping an eye on my credit card statements for anything suspicious because it's probably going to happen in a month or two.

I just checked my credit card statement and just like a couple of members in the post above, it says Kids Toys AZ. This however is not Arizona because I was charged an international transaction fee! To me it seems they're trying to pull a few sneaky ones to bypass a law or two.

As there are no other alternatives (unless btcQuick now has them in stock), I'll continue to use them, but only for small transactions. But in the interim, I'm removing that tidbit from my signature!

akrasnic

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:35:07 AM

I just opened an account with coin.mx. I need your email so I can tell them you referred me and get the $5.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: