Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:14:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HI, new to mining, How much can you expect from P2Pool?  (Read 1432 times)
megadestruct61 (OP)

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:14:58 AM

So recently after abit of research I've came to the conclusion that this whole bitcoin thing may just have some legs... I have always been decent with a computer so decided to give mining a wack.  Just got a blade erupter and am now hashing along at ~12 GH/s on P2pool network.  Says time to share 1.3 days could anyone tell me the approximate payout/time to payout on this setup?  1.3 days per share seems like it could be fairly variable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vpasic

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:08:31 AM

how much did you pay for blade?
if you pay like $450, sorry to say butt you'll probably never gonna return your investment unless btc value go up for a couple of hundred dollars more.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
zhen9

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:13:58 PM

maybe not that good
DrYak

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:11:54 PM

unless btc value go up for a couple of hundred dollars more.

Well given the current trend of BTC, this *is* going to happen.

Saddly, the other certainty is that, with the current production of ASIC ramping up, the difficulty will also be exploding.
Currently you have a time to share of 1.3 days (which is not bad, and once you hit this share, P2Pool starts to pay you constantly based [more or less] on your hashrate [I'm over-simplifying])

But in a few weeks, they'll be so many people hashing overall, that the difficulty is going to explode and your time to share is going to climb up to a week or more.
(Each time with payment spiking after a share is found, then gradually fading out).

P2Pool is even more complicated, as its shares are quite difficult and you spent long time with no share and no payment if your own hashrate is too small compared to the whole P2Pool network.

Currently, ASIC mining is hard. The only way to be successful, is to predict in advance which company will be good at bringing next crop of mining hardware the first, with the least delays and least performance problems, and then manage to order among the first and get it delivered soon enough, so you can reap a few bitcoins before the whole difficulty explodes as next generation floods the market. If you picked up the wrong horse (like Butterfly labs, in the current generation :-P ), by the time they ship and you receive, you'll have bought an expensive and noisy space heater.

On the other hand, I you don't mind that much, and aren't interested into making a fucking crazy amount of money, but are more interested into contributing to the network, keep hashing, even if you have a small hashing power, you and all the poeple with small hashing at home, help avoiding that all the hashing power gets concentrated in the hands of a few data-center owner, with cabinets full of 10'000$ ASICs)
megadestruct61 (OP)

Activity: 334

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:05:20 PM

unless btc value go up for a couple of hundred dollars more.

Well given the current trend of BTC, this *is* going to happen.

Saddly, the other certainty is that, with the current production of ASIC ramping up, the difficulty will also be exploding.
Currently you have a time to share of 1.3 days (which is not bad, and once you hit this share, P2Pool starts to pay you constantly based [more or less] on your hashrate [I'm over-simplifying])

But in a few weeks, they'll be so many people hashing overall, that the difficulty is going to explode and your time to share is going to climb up to a week or more.
(Each time with payment spiking after a share is found, then gradually fading out).

P2Pool is even more complicated, as its shares are quite difficult and you spent long time with no share and no payment if your own hashrate is too small compared to the whole P2Pool network.

Currently, ASIC mining is hard. The only way to be successful, is to predict in advance which company will be good at bringing next crop of mining hardware the first, with the least delays and least performance problems, and then manage to order among the first and get it delivered soon enough, so you can reap a few bitcoins before the whole difficulty explodes as next generation floods the market. If you picked up the wrong horse (like Butterfly labs, in the current generation :-P ), by the time they ship and you receive, you'll have bought an expensive and noisy space heater.

On the other hand, I you don't mind that much, and aren't interested into making a fucking crazy amount of money, but are more interested into contributing to the network, keep hashing, even if you have a small hashing power, you and all the poeple with small hashing at home, help avoiding that all the hashing power gets concentrated in the hands of a few data-center owner, with cabinets full of 10'000$ ASICs)

Thx for the info.  Yes I've calculated that I will be lucky to break even with this board but its a fun hobby for me and if bitcoin does rise in the future then it will end up being a good investment as I will mostly likely hold on to the pieces I help generate.  I like the idea of the p2pool network since its the closest thing you can do now a days to mining on your own and it helps keeps the big pools from just getting bigger.

So just curious when would you stop hashin on p2pool? When the difficulty spikes to where it says share once a week or greater?  I have looked on the active members page of http://p2pool.info/ and it shows some people hashing away with under 1GH supposedly (not many like 3 active shares from that group) from trying to hash earlier on P2pool I know their share generation at that speed would be 2 weeks or so.  Do they possibly just have a good hasher and point it to the p2pool network until they find a share and it gives them a piece and then they point somewhere else?  Just curious on how the p2pool payment system works haven't seen a great explanation yet.
crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:25:56 PM

Hi !

Consider to invest in coins instead of mining.
Buy all type of them (BTC/LTC/FRC/PPC/TRC ).
It is a big risk to do otherwise.

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: