Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:11:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-12-04 Yahoo: Bitcoin Alternative Quark (QRK) Increases In Value 500%  (Read 3061 times)
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:52:11 AM

Well, I highly dispute that there are "a few hundred ASICs" mining bitcoins.  Aside from the farms (which there are), I would venture there are at least 10,000+ ASICs out there in people's homes.  No, they aren't cheap, and the mining race is too hot right now to keep up, but those units are still there.  And at current prices, they easily pay for the electricity they use.  

I also dispute what you say about the level of "decentralized" - one may be more widespread than the other, but both are decentralized.  It's like being dead, or pregnant.  You either are, or you aren't.  

Now, if you include the way that CPU (and GPU) mining is open to botnets taking over, then sure - there is a much larger number of machines there.  Quark has that going for it in spades.

A few hundred or a few thousand ASICs, I am not sure about exact numbers, but what I said still applies.

10 000 ASICs (sha-256) vs 100 000-1 000 000 graphic cards (scrypt) vs millions of CPUs (quarkcoin).

It's pretty obvious who is more distributed.

At least they all can compare, and from this perspective I wouldn't say Quark has no chance to compete with the juggernauts. Some would argue that even Litecoin has no chance against Bitcoin.
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 06:54:11 AM

Another paid marketer's media article lol you could get one posted there about how penguins don't fly if you wanted to pay the money for the links

BlackShadowX1

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:09:37 PM

Max And Bill have already made out big, off that nice pump and dump by the looks of it, the boats already sailed on scam coin, there are many forums on the web plotting to use this coin for yet another pump and dump off the back of the Keiser show, but I would not touch it, someone unsuspecting sod going to left holding a sack of crap.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:41:21 PM

Are there any transaction fees? I could not find anything in my brief search.

Just trying to figure out what the incentive is for miners to mine the coin.

I think since it's mined by CPU only, you can even mine it on a laptop, ipad, phone, etc. when the difficulty is low enough, meaning that there will always be miners, it's not like you even need to buy expensive graphic cards to mine it, not to mention ASICs and other complex expensive devices. And that is a great advantage.

People used to search for extraterrestrials' signals just for the fun of it using SETI project on their computers 15 years ago and weren't paid a cent for that (maybe they still do, I haven't followed it since). Imagine that there is at least a small reward that you can get from running a mining app on a cheapest laptop, in short, there will never be a lack of miners, even if the reward is miniscule in the following years, the transaction network will always be there and it will be be extremely distributed, which is the crucial factor to a crypto survival. My view of it, feel free to disagree.

I think he's asking what the incentives are for mining, not how to mine. I would suppose there are transaction fees, but have no clue - haven't looked at it.

jjtech

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

and that is the doom of this currency:

"Two features make Quark easier to use as a currency than Bitcoin. First is the larger amount of coin that will be placed in circulation - 247 million (plus an additional one million per year) compared to only 21 million ever for Bitcoin. This makes it possible to deal in whole units of currency, or at least large decimals, rather than thousandths of units, or out to the third and fourth decimal place, as is becoming standard with Bitcoin. Second, the annual inflation rate provides an additional motivation to actually spend Quarks rather than view them as an asset to hold or speculate on. "

Number of coins is irrelevant. I don't know why pple get hang on this nonsense.
And sure o  surface looks like a solid scam but might increase in value so one might be tempted to get a couple thousand and waig for vood price to dump this shite
laowai80

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:48:30 AM

I think he's asking what the incentives are for mining, not how to mine. I would suppose there are transaction fees, but have no clue - haven't looked at it.

What are the incentives to give your CPU workload to look for extraterrestrials? Not many, but people still do it, for free.

Because their CPU is 90+% idle most of the time, they can run a miner in the background with a low priority and do their usual work, and make CPU use all that extra power to bring them some coin. That beats looking for extraterrestrials for free. No special investment into mining gear is required with Quarkcoin. So, what other incentive do you need? Your CPU brings you free money, just like Bitcoin did when it was still possible to mine it with CPU.
Icaris

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:55:49 AM

Favourite Quark comment yet.
procrypto

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:18:56 PM

Can we somehow have a rule in here about PR-Based "news"?

Its getting goddamned annoying.

^ This.

If a press release leads to some actual coverage, fair play, otherwise it's just an auto-published press release.
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:28:11 PM

Same old story, people whine about a coin, once it gets popular they jump on the bandwagon. seen it with btc, seen it with ltc. No publicity is bad publicity, meanwhile quarks subscribers on reddit has doubled in like 1-2 days
Authentic

Activity: 112

1FRpXqj6kedknh5uNpdo8FS3U49XJPJJy1

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:02:00 PM

Seriously, is there any place where these things can be shorted?  This or other altcoins (except for litecoin, which I know can be shorted).  Put options would be preferable to normal shorting.
Is there such a website?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: