Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:47:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Proposal: show hashes (hmac) of IP addresses?
Good idea! - 9 (47.4%)
Do not want! - 10 (52.6%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: show hashes (hmac) of IP addresses  (Read 1077 times)
mishra (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 11:25:51 AM

I propose showing a hash of users' IP addresses with each post to publicly identify sockpuppets.  In particular hmac with a server kept secret so that the hashes themselves have no direct unintended value except for comparison.  Perhaps with an option in the settings to view them or not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3051

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 01:58:13 AM

I propose showing a hash of users' IP addresses with each post to publicly identify sockpuppets.  In particular hmac with a server kept secret so that the hashes themselves have no direct unintended value except for comparison.  Perhaps with an option in the settings to view them or not.

You missed a third option - useless.

There is free and easy access to unlimited proxies out there.  A person can use a different IP for each account.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 01:57:07 PM

It's not useless, it would rise the difficulty of sockpuppeting. The issue is though: We don't yet know how the forum policy on sockpuppets is, I haven't seen a clear statements on the side of the admins ans some users (Tradefortress ring a bell) are commonly suspected of sockpuppeting while being endorsed by theymos.

The solution might have some privacy issues. People could store the hashes and since it is possible to embed third party pictures obtain the ips at key places for some nasty data mining.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:06:17 PM

It's not useless, it would rise the difficulty of sockpuppeting. The issue is though: We don't yet know how the forum policy on sockpuppets is, I haven't seen a clear statements on the side of the admins ans some users (Tradefortress ring a bell) are commonly suspected of sockpuppeting while being endorsed by theymos.

The solution might have some privacy issues. People could store the hashes and since it is possible to embed third party pictures obtain the ips at key places for some nasty data mining.

You can have as many accounts as you'd like.
kaito

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

I propose showing a hash of users' IP addresses with each post to publicly identify sockpuppets.  In particular hmac with a server kept secret so that the hashes themselves have no direct unintended value except for comparison.  Perhaps with an option in the settings to view them or not.
If the secret is changed about every n days, it sounds like an okay idea. Though I think this would have more false positives than actual ones.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:15:48 PM

seems counter to the people asking for more privacy(tor friendliness)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
kaito

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:37:24 PM

seems counter to the people asking for more privacy(tor friendliness)
I don't see how. This just reveals whether some people have the same IP or not. The information is only valid/comparable under the same key.
The only problem I see is that having that knowledge is not worth much. There are many reasons why they could have the same IP.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:15:09 AM

I propose showing a hash of users' IP addresses with each post to publicly identify sockpuppets.  In particular hmac with a server kept secret so that the hashes themselves have no direct unintended value except for comparison.  Perhaps with an option in the settings to view them or not.
If the secret is changed about every n days, it sounds like an okay idea. Though I think this would have more false positives than actual ones.
I don't see how it would be a good idea if the secret changes. What would the purpose be? Also, how would there be false positives?

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
kaito

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:25:55 PM

I don't see how it would be a good idea if the secret changes. What would the purpose be?
It would hide the information whether someone has a fixed or dynamic IP.
Also, if the secret were to be cracked, all IPs could be brute forced quickly.

Also, how would there be false positives?
I mean people who simply share an IP, not by choice or not to shill. This measure is meant to identify sockpuppets but it can not reliably do so.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:01:45 PM

I don't see how it would be a good idea if the secret changes. What would the purpose be?
It would hide the information whether someone has a fixed or dynamic IP.
Also, if the secret were to be cracked, all IPs could be brute forced quickly.

Also, how would there be false positives?
I mean people who simply share an IP, not by choice or not to shill. This measure is meant to identify sockpuppets but it can not reliably do so.
Ah, I see what you mean. I will have to agree with you on that.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: