Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:13:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Alt-Coins Do You NOT Consider A Pump & Dump?  (Read 6949 times)
Chris180Z (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:15:04 PM

I see so many pump and dump worthless altcoins being created in the past few months, it's crazy and could harm BTC's reputation.

The only altcoins I can see that could serve a genuine purpose, or offer something different to Bitcoin would be Litecoin and Peercoin, and potentially primecoin.

What do you all think? Do you notice any altcoins that offer something more beneficial over BTC?
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:26:41 PM

The only genuine ones that I can think of to offer something new (I may have missed some) that were created during the time of the Great 2013 Shitflood of Crap Coins are:

Anoncoin

Primecoin

YACoin
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:30:14 PM

litecoin, peercoin, primecoin, cryptogenic bullion. That's all

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
antoineph

Activity: 181

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:55:31 PM

Something a lot of people don't realize... is coins that have been pumped and dumped in the past still have a chance of succeeding. Even bitcoin has been subjected to pump and dump.
maxsolnc

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 03:58:26 PM

If you're asking about 100x - 1000x pumps and dumps (Quark is pumped in such a way), so I can definitely say that it is Datacoin. Its economical model will not work both at very high and very low prices, so it won't be pumped a lot. 2x, 3x, 5x - not more, it's not required by coin at all.

DTC: DMcKNp47fNtgM7sritK9GfJEQ1DzME5nwk
BTC: 1FgUGra685ZwkrX5VnRvfaYp4bHJhC7x4H
spoid

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

bearded, drunk, fat, naked

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:01:27 PM

well whatever offers/offered something new and noteworthy. simply using different algorithms isn't that amazing, and if they are limited to CPU and draw a lot of electricity it is probably a step back...

litecoin
peercoin
megacoin started out as a copycat but the dev did decent work with the diff adjustment so I'll list it
primecoin
nxt
anoncoin
florincoin implemented transaction messages first iirc, however the name sounds sickening to me
united scrypt coin - first scrypt merge mine, something that noirbits promised but did not deliver
gridcoin

new algos:
litecoin
copperlark
skeincoin
yacoin

with great beard comes great liver. Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195803.0
PinkPotatos

Activity: 126

Girls dont crypto?

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 04:18:11 PM

This thread is going to turn into a "these are the coins i have the most of" thread. I love these threads.

If you want a truthful answer to your question, look for the coins actually acquiring services and not just shills. Also try to find the fair coins that arnt created just to benefit the early adopters. There are only a few like that. Good luck with your research.

Accepted by, more merchants! - Franko 弗兰克币 - 自由的货币
Earn FRK with your sig
Sharky444

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:34:40 PM

I see so many pump and dump worthless altcoins being created in the past few months, it's crazy and could harm BTC's reputation.

The only altcoins I can see that could serve a genuine purpose, or offer something different to Bitcoin would be Litecoin and Peercoin, and potentially primecoin.

What do you all think? Do you notice any altcoins that offer something more beneficial over BTC?

Litecoin and Primecoin have no real purpose.

Datacoin has: http://www.datacoin.info/

Radix - just imagine
limbaugh
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:37:05 PM

This thread is going to turn into a "these are the coins i have the most of" thread. I love these threads.

If you want a truthful answer to your question, look for the coins actually acquiring services and not just shills. Also try to find the fair coins that arnt created just to benefit the early adopters. There are only a few like that. Good luck with your research.

I'll save you some time. TAG no other alt even come close.
randayh

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 04:38:07 PM

lite, anon, world
digeros

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:53:10 PM

THATS A DATA RICH STATEMENT Wink  Interesting, Please tell us why TAG is so AWESOME... -digeros
digeros

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:54:51 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 05:10:11 PM by digeros

Litecoin and Primecoin have no real purpose.

Datacoin has: http://www.datacoin.info/
Litecoin was the first attempt at speeding up the transaction speed on the massive blockchain of BTC and avoid the ASIC Arms Race in mining but that may change with the advent of Script ASIC boards ... LTC is a first generation coin with lots of adopters and more services coming as well as publicity on TV. ... so, may be a contender.  Primecoin is mixing pure math with money, unnecessarily burdening money to do EXTRA math.. useful as a toy but the block chain will get ridiculous and mining will fade and perhaps only science labs should run it...IMHO

the only way to avoid a pump and dump is to start at xorxors list of ALT COINS.  If a coin is dedicated 80% to foundation(some), completely premined (Ripple), or the dev didn't do an honest launch which can be determined by examining the block chain and seeing if the first significant amount of coin went to ONE wallet before the announcement or very soon after the announcement - which can be done lamely so as to intentionally fail in reaching interested crypto-miners.   Some coins that fall in that category of GOOD launch, good adoption, good dev , good and growing services (either inherent in the coin or by virtue of its network) as well as having a relatively stable trading market, ie listed on cryptsy - tech analysis of the charts there will tell you how the demand for the coin is holding up) will appreciate just like the fiat currencies of well managed national banks rise above other national banks (except in this case there is no central bank but a democratically-created network of supporters).  One way to guage the rabbidness of the various alt coin community is to go into the forum and just ask one good question and one BIG DOUBT statement about the coin and watch the community answer technical questions and react to someone "diss'in" their coin... just a sociological insight...

In other words, do your own research - this is the MOST TRANSPARENT of markets ANYWHERE).  -digeros
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 05:02:11 PM

Litecoin.

maybe Zerocoin in the future...

limbaugh
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:05:04 PM

THATS A DATA RICH STATEMENT Wink  Interesting, Please tell us why TAG is so AWESOME... -digeros

I'll spare you the details of the already deployed services which can easily be found in the TAGcoin thread. But for starters TAG is lead by an internet visionary with a fat wallet, professional dev team, and several successful internet businesses that will bring exposure to TAG that other alts can only dream of.
digeros

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:12:14 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 08:17:01 PM by digeros

THATS A DATA RICH STATEMENT Wink  Interesting, Please tell us why TAG is so AWESOME... -digeros

I'll spare you the details of the already deployed services which can easily be found in the TAGcoin thread. But for starters TAG is lead by an internet visionary with a fat wallet, professional dev team, and several successful internet businesses that will bring exposure to TAG that other alts can only dream of.

OOOO Visionaries now!!!!  Wink
Huh what internet companies?Huh
(actually I'll take a look b4 i say more) Wink  -digeros

I took a LOOK at TAG   ___
"
Technical Specifications

Starting difficulty: 0.5
PoW/PoS hybrid
Algorithm: Scrypt
Coins per block: 30
PoW Subsidy reduction: 1% every 3 months, minimum reward of 3 coins
Time between blocks: 4 minutes
Retarget: Every 2 hours, with a 25% limit in either direction

Network Port: 8623
RPC Port: 9624
"
There is a pump and dump just waiting to happen that guy is trying to build a finacial empire around the issuance of his own coin in COOPERATION with STANDARD CHARTER & UNOIN BANK  TOTALLY COOP'ED CRYPTO wouldn't touch it with a TEN FOOT POLE...

Compare that to NOVACOIN (first generation script POW/POS)- TAG is no where near it!!
or even a fair launch third generation script POW/POS coin like PHS - Philosopherstone
SPEC
What is Philosopherstone?
Philosopherstone (PHS) – a fork of DiamondCoin, with several algorithms fixed and improved. It is descendent of Novacoin/PPCoin with Pow/PoS. It combines the great features from Luckycoin (random blocks) and Florincoin (transaction message), is launched! No Premine!
There were a couple of new PoW/PoS coins launched recently, most have problems with PoS generation. Either we see zero-coin PoS blocks generated, or the generation is not accurately reflected in desired PoS percentage. In Philosopherstone we fixed these issues, and after 5-10 days the PoS blocks will be generated reflecting the precise interest rate defined by the coin (in this case 50% annual interest or 3.44% monthly interest). Proof of stake coin is more secure and is much more resilient to 51% attack.
Philosopherstone provides annual interest rate of 50%, for stakes that are not moved during the period. This equivalent to 3.44% monthly interest. PoS blocks will be generated if the stake is held for more than 5-10 days.

check out philosopherstone wallet here http://com-http.us/ccdir/phs/

NO CRYPOCURRENCY NEEDS A FED!!!
limbaugh
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:16:53 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 05:31:25 PM by limbaugh

OOOO Visionaries now!!!!  Wink
Huh what internet companies?Huh
(actually I'll take a look b4 i say more) Wink  -digeros

Yea, I think anyone that is tired of trying to pick the next big pump and dump should at least check it out.

There is a pump and dump just waiting to happen that guy is trying to build a finacial empire around the issuance of his own coin in COOPERATION with STANDARD CHARTER & UNOIN BANK  TOTALLY COOP'ED CRYPTO wouldn't touch it with a TEN FOOT POLE...

Do your research folks, don't form an opinion from one raving lunatics post. Ha!
Chris180Z (OP)

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:04:53 PM

Just to note, to all the condescending people here telling me to "do my research" and that "opinions aren't necessary", firstly you know absolutely nothing about me and where I have come from. Never jump to conclusions, it makes you look like a bigot. Secondly, finding out community opinions on these matters is part of such research, particularly when somebody creates a detailed post as to why they believe certain alt ctc's are going to do well. Opinions are always of interest to me, people can be very interesting Smiley. As I said the in the original post, the only real contender I see at the moment is PPC mainly due to the energy saving perks, which heavy duty miners will favour.

Interesting opinions guys, thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading any more to come Smiley.
dustofdeath

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:38:21 PM

many of  the  not p&d coins are a failure aswell - they are just overabused by  centralized farms and biggest sharehodlers - or botnets and vpn farms.

They failed as a decentralized currency already.

Bitcoin GHAS renting and 0% fee stratum mining.
https://cex.io/r/0/condemned/0/
FiatKiller

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:48:35 PM

The only one from the Spring rush that has worked out for me is GLDcoin because there is a pretty good team behind it trying to promote it and make it better. Ironically, I should have kept mining Litecoin also, but it was not worth the electricity at the time. I should have ignored that fact, because I'd be alot richer now. I just turned the Litecoin mining back on last week. Can't complain about $38 each!

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
dustofdeath

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:58:52 PM

Thats why i more or less ignore most of the july coins. And lookign for new starters that may have potential. With limited hashrate i have no chance at any established coins anymore - scam, failure or what ever they are.

Bitcoin GHAS renting and 0% fee stratum mining.
https://cex.io/r/0/condemned/0/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: