Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:58:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you purchase a physical Hand Tooled Leather Bitcoin Wallet?
Yes--Darn Tootin' I Will
No--Worse Idea Ever on this Board (edited 8-10-11)
Yes--After I read feedback from others who have purchased first.
(added 8-10-11) Yes--If I'm able to suggest the design features of my personal leather wallet.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Theme ~ Hand Tooled Leather Wallet(s)  (Read 7911 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 01:06:27 PM

Think you could find a way to stitch on a QR code with a unique bitcoin address on it? That'd be cool imo.

Thank you kindly for your interest, Weaver.

The QR code could be stitched or hand tooled. It may even function, but will provide no guarantees in that regard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 02:49:34 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2011, 04:10:12 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I want to categorically state that I recognize NO profits from the sales of these hand tooled wallets or other accessories. The pricing only reflects the true cost of the materials and my brother-in-law's valuable studio time.

With that said, here's another example from his hand tooled leather collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6025939972/in/photostream/lightbox/

Due to the contract agree, I'm not at liberty to disclose any information about the client who commissioned these two holsters (but the state with 10,000 lakes is a clue, for any of you detectives who [The] Mouth on this board).

After being allowed to post this image, I asked him how many celebrities and public figures he's been commissioned to do art for (he does more than just hand tooled leather). His answer was, "One shy of a full deck." Expressed in this fashion because, ironically, he's currently finalizing a contract to tool a leather poker table top for a renowned player, thereby completing a full deck of notorieties.
ErgoOne

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 08:11:17 PM

Seriously.  I collect art.  I *like* beautiful, one-of-a-kind stuff.  I prefer quality craftsmanship. And I've been needing a new wallet; the old one is worn out.  Inexpensive is one thing; "El Cheapo" has a very different meaning at least in my ear.  If your wallet is good and reasonably priced, I'm interested.

What genre of art mostly tickles your fancy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_genres

I've never categorized what I collect in the categories of the French Academy before; I just pick things up at art shows, galleries, wherever I see and like something that I can afford.  (I'm not rich; I usually buy from young or middle-aged artists who sell their own work in their own galleries or at craft shows.)  Looking at what I have, though, much is what the Academy calls "history" (quite a bit of allegory and myth) or portraiture, although not traditional portraiture.  Some is in the other genres, but not as much.  Not everything I get is representational, though, so much of it doesn't fit into those categories.  For example, I also buy hand-blown glass and textiles, such as tapestries and rugs.  The patterns on hand-blown glass are abstract or decorative by definition.  The tapestries and rugs can contain a recognizable picture, but most do not.

Fine leatherworking isn't a particular obsession of mine, but I've owned a few finely made, one-of-a-kind purses, some wallets, and a pair of boots.  They can be just as beautiful as any of the other stuff. :-)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 08:50:31 PM

Seriously.  I collect art.  I *like* beautiful, one-of-a-kind stuff.  I prefer quality craftsmanship. And I've been needing a new wallet; the old one is worn out.  Inexpensive is one thing; "El Cheapo" has a very different meaning at least in my ear.  If your wallet is good and reasonably priced, I'm interested.

What genre of art mostly tickles your fancy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_genres

I've never categorized what I collect in the categories of the French Academy before; I just pick things up at art shows, galleries, wherever I see and like something that I can afford.  (I'm not rich; I usually buy from young or middle-aged artists who sell their own work in their own galleries or at craft shows.)  Looking at what I have, though, much is what the Academy calls "history" (quite a bit of allegory and myth) or portraiture, although not traditional portraiture.  Some is in the other genres, but not as much.  Not everything I get is representational, though, so much of it doesn't fit into those categories.  For example, I also buy hand-blown glass and textiles, such as tapestries and rugs.  The patterns on hand-blown glass are abstract or decorative by definition.  The tapestries and rugs can contain a recognizable picture, but most do not.

Fine leatherworking isn't a particular obsession of mine, but I've owned a few finely made, one-of-a-kind purses, some wallets, and a pair of boots.  They can be just as beautiful as any of the other stuff. :-)

From the Allegory and Myth Collection, Zeus: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6027031124/in/photostream/lightbox/

I know as a fact he's tooled a hell of a lot allegory and myth related seats, but I don't have his entire collection on my computer, yet.

Can you believe what some people buy via the internet with Bitcoin?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6026480513/in/photostream/lightbox/

All hand tooled leather work I show on this board is copyrighted and was tooled by my brother-in-law.

ErgoOne

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 09:32:57 PM

Is your brother-in-law a biker by chance?  He'd do very well in Reno, Nevada (where I live) the next couple of weekends, at Hot August Nights (lots of bikers) and then at Renovation, the World Science Fiction and Fantasy convention.  I'm not a biker, but I am an SF fan, and that sort of work would sell.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 12:54:37 AM

Is your brother-in-law a biker by chance?  He'd do very well in Reno, Nevada (where I live) the next couple of weekends, at Hot August Nights (lots of bikers) and then at Renovation, the World Science Fiction and Fantasy convention.  I'm not a biker, but I am an SF fan, and that sort of work would sell.

He doesn't get out riding much ever since he married my sister and opened up his studio. He spends every waking hour in their mostly tooling leather seats and working on other art projects. I think I effed him up, though, with the wallet project and now this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36017.msg444132#msg444132 although we'll farm out some of the work on that custom bike project. He's working on the first wallet as we speak (well, at least as I type). I asked to see it and said no, closing the door on my ass. You may think that some here on this board may be a pain but, what ever you do, don't piss off an artist. They're also in their own little world. The following image is an example of that fact.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6027675290/in/photostream/lightbox/ (Link to larger image to show more detail)

Bitcoin Theme, Custom Built Bike Project: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36017.msg444132#msg444132
ErgoOne

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 03:11:31 AM

He doesn't get out riding much ever since he married my sister and opened up his studio. He spends every waking hour in their mostly tooling leather seats and working on other art projects. I think I effed him up, though, with the wallet project and now this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36017.msg444132#msg444132 although we'll farm out some of the work on that custom bike project. He's working on the first wallet as we speak (well, at least as I type). I asked to see it and said no, closing the door on my ass. You may think that some here on this board may be a pain but, what ever you do, don't piss off an artist. They're also in their own little world.

(snip)

Writers are exactly the same way.  And I are one of those. ;P

Let me know when the wallets are available, via PM or email.  (Email address is visible on my account; I'll change it if spammers get it.)

-FaerO-

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 11:32:17 AM

I will definitely take one. Let me know when theyre ready Smiley

-FaerO-

ישראל לנצה... לחים
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 12:56:06 PM

I might consider it if the image "B" boundaries were actually like

or if the leather was branded exactly like the entire coin above.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 03:35:53 PM

He doesn't get out riding much ever since he married my sister and opened up his studio. He spends every waking hour in their mostly tooling leather seats and working on other art projects. I think I effed him up, though, with the wallet project and now this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36017.msg444132#msg444132 although we'll farm out some of the work on that custom bike project. He's working on the first wallet as we speak (well, at least as I type). I asked to see it and said no, closing the door on my ass. You may think that some here on this board may be a pain but, what ever you do, don't piss off an artist. They're also in their own little world.

(snip)

Writers are exactly the same way.  And I are one of those. ;P (never end a sentence with a P, or start a new one with P as the second...)

Let me know when the wallets are available, via PM .....  EDITedddddddddddddd

I'll PM you when the first one is ready and is being shown on this board. Consider using a throwawayemailaccount
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 03:42:42 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2011, 04:40:02 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I will definitely take one. Let me know when theyre ready Smiley

-FaerO-

Thank you for your pre-order, FaerO. I will let you know.

If anybody else desires me to PM them when the prototype wallet is complete, please let me know via this thread or PM.

And don't be afraid to offer up your personal details or color schemes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6029133909/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 04:05:42 PM

I might consider it if the image "B" boundaries were actually like (I moved the image provided by pekv2 below the fold)

Thank you, pekv2. I'm going to use your design idea for the second wallet (see first post of this thread) therefore, if you don't want it, I'll keep it.

But I'll need you to answer a few questions first, in regards to the design element. You desire the boundaries the same as the image below. When you say boundaries, are you speaking of the border with the 3D shadow effect? Or that, and how the image is depicted in the field of the coin, for my brother-in-law can hand tool this exactly as you see it now? Is that the symbol B you prefer, opposed to (see image in the first post of this thread)? What about the shadows around the letter B? What about the cut-pie/color-wheel effect of the inner circle surrounding the letter B?

If anybody else wants to add their input for the design, please let me know via this thread or PM.

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 04:17:46 PM

I might consider it if the image "B" boundaries were actually like (I moved the image provided by pekv2 below the fold)

Thank you, pekv2. I'm going to use your design idea for the second wallet (see first post of this thread) therefore, if you don't want it, I'll keep it.

But I'll need you to answer a few questions first, in regards to the design element. You desire the boundaries the same as the image below. When you say boundaries, are you speaking of the border with the 3D shadow effect? Or that, and how the image is depicted in the field of the coin, for my brother-in-law can hand tool this exactly as you see it now? Is that the symbol B you prefer, opposed to (see image in the first post of this thread)? What about the shadows around the letter B? What about the cut-pie/color-wheel effect of the inner circle surrounding the letter B?

If anybody else wants to add their input for the design, please let me know via this thread or PM.

I mean exactly like the border of the B in the image, I believe is the original Bitcoin symbol B. For the shadows I don't know, can that be done? But yea the Bitcoin symbol, as for the entire coin image with shadows etc, I think it would be wicked, if it could be done. I believe when I look at the current B on the wallet with a line through the left hand side bottom of the B, it looks bland, just imo.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 04:18:40 PM

I might consider it if the image "B" boundaries were actually like

[edited out image]

I just noticed your line below the image ~ "or if the leather was branded exactly like the entire coin above."

That's what I'll go with on the second wallet design. Now, anybody who would like flames shooting out of the letter B logo, let me know,

for my brother-in-law loves tooling fire. http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6029633680/in/photostream/lightbox/

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 04:28:09 PM

I mean exactly like the border of the B in the image, I believe is the original Bitcoin symbol B. For the shadows I don't know, can that be done? But yea the Bitcoin symbol, as for the entire coin image with shadows etc, I think it would be wicked, if it could be done. I believe when I look at the current B on the wallet with a line through the left hand side bottom of the B, it looks bland, just imo.

I think we were posting at the same time. Either way, I believed I've addressed the issue and can now read more about what's inside your head. I wish I was inside the heads of the two artists, Steven Tyler and my brother-in-law, on the day they discussed, for over an hour, the seat designs for Red Wing, now Dirico. Yes, he did tool the first two prototypes for that line.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 04:32:29 PM

What about teaming up with natman? He is the guy making the bitclip electronic wallet. You could make an awesome leather case for the device.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 04:55:29 PM

What about teaming up with natman? He is the guy making the bitclip electronic wallet. You could make an awesome leather case for the device.

A case can be fashioned to hold any Bitcoin related device.

Here's a laptop or iPad case my brother-in-law recently tooled: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6029176533/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/
ErgoOne

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM

Would your brother be interested in doing a Bitcoin laptop or IPad case? :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 07:11:06 PM

Would your brother be interested in doing a Bitcoin laptop or IPad case? :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

My brother-in-law could fab one for you. Let me ask you this first: What art design (I'm just curious at this point, for I know darn well he'll be able to do it) do you have mind? If it's not risqué, would you post an image on this thread so that I can take a look at it?
ErgoOne

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 07:37:06 PM

I hadn't really thought that out....  Maybe a bitcoin symbol on a coin-like object on the flap, smallish but recognisable, with a border around the case itself -- something leafy and organic?  (Maybe a grape vine with grapes?)  I'd have to play with sketches for a bit.  Or you could run it past your brother and see if he has ideas. :-)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: