Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:45:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ready for a correction  (Read 4273 times)
raskolnikovx

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:34:04 PM

You might wanna ask yourself how long it takes to call Bitcoin at certain price stable.
I dont see Bitcoin going under 1000 USD. Its just too much time over 1000.
I think we are safe saying that 1000 is the new bottom
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:54:18 PM

Charts look the way op described but some pr buzz from example can push the price over 2000$ and then the real bottom will be much higher than it looks right now. Actually i think this is what 's happening over and over.

if there were more reliable /trustable exchanges a lot more people would sink money into BTC
in larger amounts

nobody wants to send shitloads of money to eastern europe or russia and take the risk of them
running with coins and claiming a hack or just disappearing altogether

ideally ,every country shud have an exchange so nobody sud have to transact interantionally but
we are just not there yet ....hopefully soon though Smiley

I guess that's where etf's like second market and the winklevii one step in. They can cover that untill regulation gets cleared up.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:57:13 PM

CoinCidental: I know there is a lot of buying pressure. I only wanted to post this at a public place because I've seen this pattern in many different tradable instruments, from S&P futures on 1 minute candlesticks to Single stocks on weekly candlesticks!

adamstgBit: It might not behave "right" as it is in an early growth phase, I agree with you. But technical analysis can work in this situation too. We'll see how this evolves pretty soon.

If the $1200 level is broken at a heavy volume, consider this analysis as failed. I only used a small part of my holdings for this.

I have noticed strange happenings WRT bitcoin and volume.  In particular, bitcoin has high volume corrections and then low volume returns, even in a bull market.  I've seen this pattern so many times that I think that volume based analysis derived from stocks may be faulty.  This is often followed by oscillations (a triangle for you TA people) and then upwards breakout.

One explanation may be that on every down tick some coins go into long-term wallets.  This creates a lower supply at these previous price points.  Without that supply the return must necessarily be low volume.  

makes sense, i agree.

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:09:57 PM

who the hell are you mr trollface? Go spam on btc-e faggot
You just want to buy lower. Kinda sad.

You're the only trollface I see here.  And welcome to the troll hole.

*plonk*.
amihh (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 07:27:01 AM

So, another day passed, it came close to $1242 which is the all time high from 7 days ago.
Today it was at $1240.

Down or up?

Volume is very low, this could mean that it will go up soon. very soon.
The original thesis here is that it will go down to maybe $800 for a short time at a high volume before going further up, much further up.
Bitbuy

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:36:08 AM

So, another day passed, it came close to $1242 which is the all time high from 7 days ago.
Today it was at $1240.

Down or up?

Volume is very low, this could mean that it will go up soon. very soon.
The original thesis here is that it will go down to maybe $800 for a short time at a high volume before going further up, much further up.

My gut & charts tell me it will go UP...
eindbaas

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

umad?

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:41:57 AM

u mad bro?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2HdJ0c4hP4
amihh (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 10:23:44 AM

Just went down to $900, will any more weak hands shake out their bitcoin even further down to $800?  Wink
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:47:04 AM

CoinCidental: I know there is a lot of buying pressure. I only wanted to post this at a public place because I've seen this pattern in many different tradable instruments, from S&P futures on 1 minute candlesticks to Single stocks on weekly candlesticks!

adamstgBit: It might not behave "right" as it is in an early growth phase, I agree with you. But technical analysis can work in this situation too. We'll see how this evolves pretty soon.

If the $1200 level is broken at a heavy volume, consider this analysis as failed. I only used a small part of my holdings for this.

I have noticed strange happenings WRT bitcoin and volume.  In particular, bitcoin has high volume corrections and then low volume returns, even in a bull market.  I've seen this pattern so many times that I think that volume based analysis derived from stocks may be faulty.  This is often followed by oscillations (a triangle for you TA people) and then upwards breakout.

One explanation may be that on every down tick some coins go into long-term wallets.  This creates a lower supply at these previous price points.  Without that supply the return must necessarily be low volume.  

Distribution of coins to new holders. The nature of an exponentially growing marketplace of users is that there are always exponentially more new users, and new users tend to just accumulate for a while.
amihh (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 06:44:02 AM

So, I waited enough...

It's nice that sometimes technical analysis works  Wink
I wrote an update, click the image to read it.

http://chartly.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/btcusd-dbltop-success.png
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:26:08 PM

Jup. Credit where credit is due. Good call OP.

Did you get out at around 1200? I didn't, took me til around 1000 (bitstamp) before I decided we're stalling and sold a substantial portion of btc (with the goal of rebuying lower)

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:39:27 PM

u mad bro?

Of course he mad, he bought in st 1250 and panic sold thrm all at 600!
amihh (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 05:50:55 PM

jamesc760: Ha ha, they say - "Don't feed the trolls"...

oda.krell - I did sell, but a small portion of my holdings, the majority is in a paper wallet and I plan to keep it in paper for a few years. I will buy back soon. I add fiat on a monthly basis and I won't rush my schedule because of this crash. It might not go up too fast.

Usually I spot these events in high volume / high quality stocks but on weekly candlesticks. The pace of events in BTC is faster, that's why I look at daily candles. I know many look at 1 minute candles but that's too myopic for my taste.
PenAndPaper

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:15:08 PM

So, I waited enough...

Are you for real? What technical analysis? The double top that happened like 10000000 times during the rally from 100 to 1000+?
 It was the news from china that caused the crash.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:50:23 PM

So, I waited enough...

Are you for real? What technical analysis? The double top that happened like 10000000 times during the rally from 100 to 1000+?

Why the aggressiveness? He made a relevant remark about double top and volume. I pointed out that the volume part of his argument wasn't very precise. The market dropped a few days later.

You're free to say "it's just luck, twice a day even a broken clock is right". In other words, you don't believe in TA. In other words, you're clueless and probably shouldn't trade. (go to lucif's thread to get a taste of what someone with actual intuition *and* technical knowledge can do).

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
PenAndPaper

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:19:22 PM

So, I waited enough...

Why the aggressiveness? He made a relevant remark about double top and volume. I pointed out that the volume part of his argument wasn't very precise. The market dropped a few days later.

You're free to say "it's just luck, twice a day even a broken clock is right". In other words, you don't believe in TA. In other words, you're clueless and probably shouldn't trade. (go to lucif's thread to get a taste of what someone with actual intuition *and* technical knowledge can do).

It looks like you are losing your temper so i can only guess how well technical analysis worked for you. Keep it up and take all the money from the clueless people that we are.
Hfertig

Activity: 361

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:29:19 PM

I guess the reason why especially so many newcomers are very aggressive is that they are scared of losing money. They bought at 900+ and are looking at losses now. They flame everyone who gives an honest opinion on what TA currently shows.... a much further drop downwards. Can´t wait for those pigs to get slaughtered once we move further down.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:37:47 PM

It looks like you are losing your temper so i can only guess how well technical analysis worked for you. Keep it up and take all the money from the clueless people that we are.

Hm...

Oh well. We had a good run (since early July, to be precise).

First time in quite a while I reduced my btc position substantially. I'm still in, never go full fiat Cheesy, and I consider consolidation still slightly more likely than a major crash, but I also believe the chance of a sudden breakout upwards is somewhat lower than a similarly powerful breakout downwards, so there you go.

Guess I'm putting the old adage "...be greedy when others are fearful" to a test.

EDIT: not because of Baidu, by the way. Fuck Baidu Tongue

Price was around 1050 at that point (mtgox).

Anyway, I never called an entire group of people "clueless" and that I somehow "take their money". I call people that bullshit about the worthlessness of TA clueless.

If I misunderstood you, and you're just pointing out a particularly weak point in OP's analysis, my apologies. But if you doubt TA as a whole: well, guess what? You probably shouldn't actively trade, since that would gambling, wouldn't it? Buy & Hold is your game then, I guess.

PenAndPaper

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:39:39 PM

If I misunderstood you, and you're just pointing out a particularly weak point in OP's analysis, my apologies. But if you doubt TA as a whole: well, guess what? You probably shouldn't actively trade, since that would gambling, wouldn't it? Buy & Hold is your game then, I guess.

Op posted a double top and a macd graph and claims that this is a technical analysis that somehow explains the drop while the drop had nothing to do with anything besides the news from china.

I can show you 100000 double tops before the op's one that meant nothing. When you just get lucky you don't go out to forums and brag "look my TA worked" especially when it is so obvious to everyone about what happened.
Money Raccoon

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:46:19 PM

Op posted a double top and a macd graph and claims that this is a technical analysis that somehow explains the drop while the drop had nothing to do with anything besides the news from china.

I can show you 100000 double tops before the op's one that meant nothing. When you just get lucky you don't go out to forums and brag "look my TA worked" especially when it is so obvious to everyone about what happened.

What's wrong Pen? You seem stressed
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: