Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:07:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about these other alternative currencies  (Read 1230 times)
Beelzebuddy (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2010, 07:20:39 AM

So, I'm liking the look of bitcoins.  Secure, anonymous, decentralized.  I think they'd work well as a currency for use in tor or i2p, "behind the veil" as it were.

But bitcoin isn't the only player out there.  There's at least a half dozen other alternative currencies vying for adoption.  Wikipedia just has crap, it's made of marketing and herp for a topic this narrow.

So tell me about them, if you'd be so kind.  What makes them good?  What makes bitcoin better?  Which are the players and which are the underdogs?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 23, 2010, 08:04:58 AM

So, I'm liking the look of bitcoins.  Secure, anonymous, decentralized.  I think they'd work well as a currency for use in tor or i2p, "behind the veil" as it were.

But bitcoin isn't the only player out there.  There's at least a half dozen other alternative currencies vying for adoption.  Wikipedia just has crap, it's made of marketing and herp for a topic this narrow.

So tell me about them, if you'd be so kind.  What makes them good?  What makes bitcoin better?  Which are the players and which are the underdogs?

Well, I have been interested in alternative money for some time, so I've read a bit about a few of exemples during the last few years.

Only bitcoin gave me a very good impression.    Others were not interesting enough for me to remember them.

I could mention digital cash, however.  It has been designed by a very famous programmer, David Chaum, known for his work in cryptography.  It uses an interesting concept called blind signature, but I was never very enthusiastic about it, for it is still related to current banking system.  It's just an improvement of the current system, imo.

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
October 23, 2010, 08:25:32 AM

To my knowledge, Bitcoin is the only truely decentrasiled p2p-cryptocurrency that has ever made it from concept to production to adoption by online businesses. 

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Anonymous

October 23, 2010, 11:07:24 AM

They actually deleted the bitcoin article because they claimed it wasnt notable. They cant be good if no one can name them off the top of their head!
Jochen

Activity: 228
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:31:56 PM

Quark seems pretty nice

http://bitcoinprbuzz.com/bitcoin-alternative-quark-qrk-increases-in-value-50-in-the-last-week-featuring-accessible-cpu-mining/
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 08:42:22 PM

The alternate currencies forum is exactly the kind of thing you should be looking through and there's a thread that details all the differences of the various currencies out there: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134179.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: