Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 02:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.5 crawling sync  (Read 709 times)
rocketron (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 300

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:17:56 PM

hi all,

i just upgraded from 0.8.1, i cant seem to get any momentum going with the 0.8.5 version regarding syncing,

its taking me almost 1 hour to sync 1 day out of a 9 day old chain,

have doubled checked everything, upnp is enabled on router, firewall exception, even tried with firewall disabled.

the max connections i seem to get with 0.8.5 is 8, with 0.8.1 i was getting about 28, on the same computer. and with version 0.8.1 it would only have taken me moments to sync the 9 days

anyone any ideas?
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/8109/how-does-one-attain-1-000-connections-like-blockchain-info
Bitcoin by default will not make more than 8 outgoing connections, and -maxconnections only controls how many incoming connections you allow. Feel free to set this higher, but it will take time before others connect to you in large numbers.

Please don't change this, as there is no need. Connectable peers on the network are a scarce resource, and essential to the decentralization. If people go try connect to all of them like some sites do, we'll very quickly run out.

In case you're a merchant or miner, you perhaps want to set up a few fixed connections to trusted others (see the -addnode command line/config option), but having more connections does not mean stronger verification (the reference client always verifies everything) or even faster relaying (as you'll slow down by distributing new blocks and transactions to all your peers). It is mostly a matter of providing a server to the network.

If you are starting out from scratch, there is a torrent for a bootstrap file out there that will save you time.
rocketron (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:46:36 PM

i have my block chain backed up, but its 9 days old, the last time i updated the chain was on the old version 0.8.1 9 days ago,

i decided to install the new version 0.8.5, so i deleted all the 0.8.1 files, installed 0.8.5 and copied my backed up chain over,

started bitcoin and it went through the veryifing blocks etc and opened up, the problem is it is syncing at a standstill, maybe 1 block ever 1-2 mins.

on 0.8.1 i had no issues syncing, it zipped along in chunks of 100's

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 01:11:26 AM

Delete the peers.dat and debug.log files..

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 04:48:49 AM

the max connections i seem to get with 0.8.5 is 8, with 0.8.1 i was getting about 28, on the same computer. and with version 0.8.1 it would only have taken me moments to sync the 9 days

anyone any ideas?
Hitting the 8 connection limit lets me believe that you are behind a nat device. You need to port forward to the computer running Bitcoin. It's possible that the IP address of your computer has changed via DHCP if you previously set up port forwarding, and now inbound connections are being sent to the bit bucket.

Only one copy of Bitcoin can run well behind a consumer router, as you need to let port 8333 inbound to only one machine.
rocketron (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:16:36 AM

this did the trick, awesome! thanks very much dude! zipped along the 9 days old in a matter of 5 mins
rocketron (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:18:03 AM

anyone any ideas?
Hitting the 8 connection limit lets me believe that you are behind a nat device. You need to port forward to the computer running Bitcoin. It's possible that the IP address of your computer has changed via DHCP if you previously set up port forwarding, and now inbound connections are being sent to the bit bucket.

Only one copy of Bitcoin can run well behind a consumer router, as you need to let port 8333 inbound to only one machine.

this could be slowing me down alright, I have open nat as my line is a business one, but i have the nat secured in the router and not open, I have upnp enabled though and i can see the bitcoin client in the list of upnp devices in the router.

do you think i still need to port forward?
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:01:42 PM

i have the same issue with 0.8.5 on win7/64 and it happens randomly. I just close/restart client and its usually fine.
but yeah when it happens it updates at like 1 block every 5 or so min..
anything i should be looking for in the logs ?

rocketron (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:26:13 PM

deleting the peers.dat and the db log sorted it for me, but i was coming from a backed up copy of the block chain..
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 11:40:01 PM

this did the trick, awesome! thanks very much dude! zipped along the 9 days old in a matter of 5 mins

+++ Grin

Some delete the entire blockchain and folder. As you can see, its not always neccessary.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: