Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:56:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can there be only one?  (Read 475 times)
twistedline (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:53:18 PM

Do you think there can be only one digital currency in the future?  Are we really going to see stores that accepting a plethora of alt-coins? Many people moved their old GPU mining rigs over to litecoin because the ASCI devices make them non competitive.  But does this give litecoin more value? it seem to me its only valuable to the people mining it. I would be happy to competitively mine litecoin with a rig that can't be used for anything else, not sure I would invest directly though.

Anyway, just my BTC0.002

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheJacob

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:19:21 PM

I don't think there will be as many as there are now. Its possible a handful exist in a very small market while the winner is much more widely used. Seems extremely unlikely there will be multiple bitcoins that are widely accepted.
bcd

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:36:47 PM

There are already 150+ clones now.. but the concept of p2p decentralized democrazy is interesting  Roll Eyes
cctekh

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:40:02 PM

just your $2?  Grin

I'd bet on more than 1 receiving wide-scale acceptance, but only time will tell.
ALbitcoins

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:48:24 PM

I think it will be just 1 or 2 the ones that win the battle, today there are a lot because of the success of bitcoin, everyone want money,
Hu4F00d

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:57:59 PM

There are already 150+ clones now.. but the concept of p2p decentralized democrazy is interesting  Roll Eyes

There are more than 150 altcoins?? I thought there were just a handful
BitOrca

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

Buy and Sell Templates and Themes with Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 08:00:52 PM

Bitcoin is flawed in many ways.  1 way being the transaction time wait.  Other cryptos are offering a choice in different characteristics such as rewards, amount and other things.  Ultimately it will be the market which decides which coin is going to be successful long term.

There is room for more than 1 winner and with so much choice about its hard to choose.  Free markets will encourage new and crazy innovations, its hard to think that only Bitcoin will succeed.  Which few is anyones guess, but I can put good money on one having not even been thought up yet.  

Admin @ BitOrca | Contact: admin@bitorca.com | Twitter |  Sell/Buy Bitcoin code! @ BitOrca | OrcaBlog | Best Bitcoin Tool Competiton!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: