Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:59:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have 32 BTC in paper wallet and Blockchain "insufficient funds" when sending  (Read 1424 times)
muskles (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:30:34 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 07:29:33 PM by muskles

I 've been using the Blockchain app and a paper wallet to store BTC offline.  When I attempt to do a "custom" send for 8 BTC, Blockchain is telling me I have insufficient funds.  I scan the private key like it asks, I have the correct paper wallet address referenced, and I'm paying the mining fee.  I've even increased the mining fee.  No luck!!

This is really making me nervous.  I need these funds asap.

A couple of weeks ago, I successfully received and sent BTC using this app and my paper wallet.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

Anyone know of an app where I can type in the private key when doing a "custom" send?
raporeyiz

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:38:14 PM

32 btc. wow..
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:41:24 PM

Hoo boy.

Hate to say it, but your BTC may be gone. When you spend coins (such as the 32 you have in one paper wallet address) you send two transactions. The first is the payment, and the second is the change. The change does not go back to the paper wallet by default, so you get a second address with 32-8-trans fees = 23.99xxx BTC.

Your paper wallet is probably empty, which is why you get that error. Hopefully you can find the change  Sad

Edit: I don't mean 8btc, but the BTC you were able to spend weeks earlier.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
muskles (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:49:57 PM

But my paper wallet isn't empty....

139ZCgLoSPvoLLtRkwE6h1MekjTHuja9Xm

When I scan the private key it says "insufficient funds"!!

Is there an app that will allow me to do a custom send by typing in the private key.  I have a feeling that blockchain isn't interpretting the private key correctly.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:53:12 PM

You could download Bitcoin-QT, the console has a import priv key command which should work.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
muskles (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:01:46 PM

Thanks
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:05:30 PM

You can do it on Bitcoin QT as pontiacg5 said or you can try other clients like electrum if you don't want to wait for QT to sync.
muskles (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:16:23 PM

I downloaded QT already...it has  a different address.... when importing the private key for the paper walllet, does it automatically derived the public key or does that need to be included, as well?
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 08:20:44 PM

It automatically gets the address from the private key. You don't need to enter it.

Just an advice: after you send your 8 BTC, send everything else to a fresh secure paper wallet. Don't hold that much on an online computer.

ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:22:44 PM

I downloaded QT already...it has  a different address.... when importing the private key for the paper walllet, does it automatically derived the public key or does that need to be included, as well?

In QT > Click Help > Debug Window > Enter importprivkey yourPrivateKeyInWalletImportFormat "TheLabelThatIWant"  in the bottom area

More info - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_v7%2B

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
7Priest7

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:25:07 PM

I had a similar issue recently.

The last blockchain update added minimum fees for frugal users.

Just use another client as previously mentioned, Armory is good for using paper wallets.

EDIT: I should say... Blockchain added the fees regardless of what version of their android/iphone? app you are using.
Still very uncool of them.
viriat0

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:25:50 PM

Try: -rescan  Rescan the block chain for missing wallet transactions
raulxpert

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:42:03 AM

But my paper wallet isn't empty....

139ZCgLoSPvoLLtRkwE6h1MekjTHuja9Xm

When I scan the private key it says "insufficient funds"!!

Is there an app that will allow me to do a custom send by typing in the private key.  I have a feeling that blockchain isn't interpretting the private key correctly.

This address balance is 0.00 BTC check it at: blockchain(dot)info

you have tranferred 17 BTC to: 154pe5iuTq1stoRYVoRRLaGJRyREGnHzrd

I hope it helps to you

exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:09:16 AM

It automatically gets the address from the private key. You don't need to enter it.

Just an advice: after you send your 8 BTC, send everything else to a fresh secure paper wallet. Don't hold that much on an online computer.

Ditto this. As soon as you enter your private key the wallet is no longer offline and has been registered online. Create a new paper wallet and send the btc there. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: