Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 11:43:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT  (Read 635 times)
Tanamir (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:41:14 PM

Hi All,

I want to get started with the QT software, but I'm having a problem. When I install the software to my "D" drive (which is where I want it to run...) it runs fine, but puts large amounts of data on my "C" drive which is unacceptable. This is causing me problems because my "C" drive is small (Its function is to run the OS, not to be storage...) and I want the data to be on the "D" drive which has the space to handle that much data. Can anyone assist me, please?

Thank you,
                 Tanamir
KOTKA

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:59:40 PM

there are some possibilities to change the path for block storage, but I would recommend to increase C volume instead for correct QT working.You may use Disk Acronis i.e.
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:36:13 PM

Use the -datadir="location" option to move the blockchain data to a different drive where you have more space.  Be sure and copy the contents of the original data directory before starting Bitcoin-Qt again or it will create a new wallet and restart the blockchain download.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:40:24 PM

the -datadir options is what you're looking for, but I'd just get a wallet with a non local blockchain like electrum.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:46:27 PM

electrum is less resource intensive but QT is most secure and running a full node helps us all Smiley
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:14:28 PM

electrum is less resource intensive but QT is most secure and running a full node helps us all Smiley

Is that true that electrum is less secure from the user perspective?
GhanaGamboy

Activity: 191

Dadice Fixed Rate.

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:19:20 PM

I believe Bitcoin-QT much more. Hopefully no blockchain option in Bitcoin-QT will be used as well
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:42:27 PM

Tanamir sent me a PM asking how to use -datadir so I'll post it here in case anyone needs it.

go to the proprieties of the bitcoin icon, and put the below in the target field. (of course use your own paths)

"C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" "-datadir=F:\coins\Bitcoin"
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:49:49 PM

Electrum depends on a centralized service. Users must trust a third party. It is inherently less secure and private for the user. Still much better than hosted wallets like Coinbase.
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:01:34 PM

it's true that electrum depends on a server for the blockchain, but does that mean that it's less secure? Your wallet is still local, so I'm not seeing anyway that your private keys are at anymore risk. But I may be missing something, I'm open to that possibility. 
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:01:05 AM

it's true that electrum depends on a server for the blockchain, but does that mean that it's less secure? Your wallet is still local, so I'm not seeing anyway that your private keys are at anymore risk. But I may be missing something, I'm open to that possibility. 
It means you have to trust the server to correctly process your transactions.  If you run a full node, you don't need to trust anybody.

It just depends upon your level of paranoia  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: